Modded Mustang Forums banner

Weird Timing Issue

3K views 22 replies 3 participants last post by  93hatch 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a timing light and connect it to plug wire #1 with the spout connector off.
I can't find the white timing mark on my harmonic balancer to try to time my car.
I switch my timing light to plug wire #4 and I not only find the white timing mark, but is also where it should be, and my car seems to idle and run just fine.
Any ideas what could possibly cause such a thing?

88 Mustang 5.0 H.O

I'm no mathematician, and I have never installed a harmonic balancer before so this next thought is purely speculative.

If the harmonic balancer was installed with the notch in the wrong place, theoretically the vehicle could be easily timed from #1, 4, 6, or 7.
(4 bolts = 4 positions, 25% for #4, 50% for #6, 75% for #7, 100% for #1. Mathematically it actually makes sense as long as there aren't notches to ensure the harmonic balancer cannot be installed incorrectly.)

#7 ·
Yes I do, I just did a tune up a few days ago. I do in fact have the manual for the book. I replaced the wires one by one so the chance of placing wires in the wrong order would be eliminated.
Yes, wire #1 is the front passenger side while wire #4 is the back passenger side.

#12 ·
I see the bar that I am supposed to time it off of. My brother-in-law seems to think that the "cover" or something on the harmonic balancer "slipped" and that is why the notch shows up when the timing light is on #4 wire and not visible from the passenger side while connected to #1. Going to replace the harmonic balancer tomorrow...if it doesn't rain like it is supposed to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.