Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
dead battery, could be starter or alternator

Ok so I went to a walmart in a town next to mine tonight to buy some 9mm ammo, everything was normal on the way there. I go back out about and hour or so later and when I go to start my car it wont start, the starter just clicks. It sounded to me like the battery was dead even though my battery gauge read in the normal location. I call a buddy to come and jump me but that doesn't work so we let my car sit there a little while and charge from his truck. I go to try it again and still clicks, but this time smoke came through the center vents and around the center console and it smelled like electrical burning. I immediately unhook the jumper cables and yes their were on the right way red to red, black to black. We ended up roll starting my car and i started my drive home. I had my radio and system playing while i was driving.

Well after 15 minutes of driving u pulled up to a light and tried to engage my starter by bumping the ignition and it sounded like it hit the flywheel so it was fine now so I was like maybe i got lucky an im good. Well 5 minutes later I notice my voltage is slowly dropping on the car so I turn my radio and system off and turn the heat on real low. The battery gauge keeps dropping, almost to the L, my lights were getting dimmer, I didn't think I was gonna make it home since i still had 15 minutes of driving. About 7 minutes from my house my lights out of the blue got brighter and I looked at my voltage gauge and it raise back up to where it should be. When I got home I turned the car off and tried starting it an the starter just clicked but would not turn over the motor.

I know that's a'lot but wanted to put the whole thing on here in hopes of figuring out what the hell is going on.

Alittle background the car is a 99 mustang gt, with a 2 1/2 year old autozone gold top battery. In august I put a 02 transmission an motor in the car with all the 02 accessories an at the same time put the 02 interior in my car but retained the 99 dash wiring harness. I did wire up the 02 foglight switch to work but did it the right way with solder heat shrink and electrical tape.

Im at a loss of what it could be, Im was thinking the starter just went bad, but that doesn't explain to me the weird voltage drop.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

I went to autozone an had my battery and alternator tested. Well the alternator was good but the battery was at 50% so they gave me a new one under warranty, I put it and the alternator back on the car and it started right up. I do not know the cause of all this yet, could be that the battery was just getting weak, but I'm going to keep searching or answers and will post of my findings.

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
If you had a click and smoke its likely the starter. If your lights dim again put a voltmeter across the battery with the car running, it should read 13.6-14.6 volts if the alt is working.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I went to start the mustang today and all I heard was the alternator click, I drove it last night and the lights didnt dim and the gauge never read low like before. Everything has been fine since I replaced the battery and that was all I replaced Im at a loss of what it could be. The alternator tested fine off the car when all this started and the battery tested at 50% charged so Autozone gave me a new one. I have even periodically gone back and had the charging system checked on the car to make sure it didnt leave me stranded somewhere and they even tested it by putting a load on the car.

I'm at a loss for what it could be, the harness on the motor is the original 02 harness that I left on it when i installed it into my car I just plugged into the original 99 gt that was in the engine bay. The only aftermarket wiring I have on the car is a amp and sub wired to the battery the right wasy and with a fuse and a radio installed the right way.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am having similar problems with 99 V6. I have a mechanic that specializes with electrical problems testing the crap out of my car right now. His first finding is the GEM is keeping the car "awake", which might be a faulty, GEM, a faulty PCM, faulty indoor lighting, or just another battery issue and I need to fight back autozone on the battery harder. Sorry I can't really type out why GEM or PCM right now, but you should Google for it. I read an interesting few threads. Nice thoughts, nothing conclusive on my end though.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
302 Posts
Oh, and I recently had to replace alternator, my damn car died on the effn freeway!

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts