Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had some kind of electrical issue for a while now, but it had became unnoticeable after I installed HID's and LED tail lights.

Sometimes (not often) I can open my door with the radio on (car on or off) and the music quits playing. The radio does NOT lose power. I shut my door and the audio comes back. This also goes for turning on the wipers/AC/etc.
I do know the Mach 460 factory harness has/had a connection issue where the radio would lose power if I jiggled the factory connector which went to the radio. The radio installed is aftermarket and not jigger rigged.

At times (not often) it appears there are voltage issues which can be noticed by the interior lights pulsing (with the car off). I can use something electrical such as the door locks and the lights will brighten back to normal and quit pulsing.

I'm not sure if I should be looking into the multifunction switch, radio wiring, or something else being the problem.
With the car running I can use something electrical (windows, brakes, etc) and the voltage will drop in the cabin from 13.8-14 to 13.1-13.3. Voltage at the battery will not decrease.

Replaced Parts
----------------------------------------
Alternator
Battery
Headlight Switch
Checked battery cables
---------------------------------------

I'm totally lost.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

Tonight on the way home I hit my power window switch which caused my radio to cut out,headlights flicker, and battery light to flash once. Every time I did something to draw more power this happened.

I have a HID kit installed and none of it is running thru the cars electrical harness; it's connected directly to the battery. I don't understand how my HID's were affected since their power is drawn directly from the battery.

Any ideas? Sounds like a dash electrical harness ground issue to me. Any idea where the stock grounds are?

I also discovered tonight that ONLY hitting the door lock switch will make the interior lights quit pulsing and brighten back to normal. Using other electrical items such as windows only make the problem more obvious.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
check the output of the alt first and the voltage of the battery. If it didnt do it before the HID's its either the draw from the hid's or its dumb luck that the alt or bat is goin out the same time you put the hids on

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alt and battery both fine. This problem was happening before the HID's but became less obvious after the install. Now the problem is back. I've been thru 3 alts and 2 batteries with the same result.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking
1) multifunction switch
2) ground on the dash harness

Ive heard a failing multifunction switch will cause all kinds of electrical problems since windows,locks,lights, etc. all run through it, but I've yet to find anyone with knowledge on the subject. They run about $80 so I'd rather be sure first.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
give me a min, let me go scrounge through my wiring diagrams

1 - 6 of 6 Posts