Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
back when i was shopping for drag wheels one of the hardest things to decide on was the backspacing, the front skinnys are easy for the weld rt-s wheels (1.5 bs) no spacers, however for the rears it was either 4.5 or 5.5 backspacing for an 8" rim. so i jumped on the forums to try and find some decent photos of our 99-04 body style with weld rt-s.....couldnt find much mostly foxes on google, so then i started looking for just any 99-04 with a 4.5 backspacing wheels....again couldnt find much other than a couple rides with terribly angled pics. most forums just said the usual "go with the 5.5 bs" which is correct, but i also like a little dish in my wheel and didnt want to go with 15x10 6.5 bs.

after reading more and more 4.5 vs 5.5 debates most of the responses consisted of everyone saying that a 4.5 willl stick out to far and look like an ugly tractor and others would say that it sticks out the same as a 15x10 6.5 bs as well as saying that you need to roll the fenders depending what tire you run. so i finally gave in an decided to just go for it, if i had to buy new rear wheels so be it.

heres the results and a little more detailed pics

weld rt-s rears 15x8 4.5 bs/ 255-60r15 (27"x10.5"-15") M/T drag radial
weld rt-s fronts 15x4 1.5 bs/ 165-80r15 nexen skinnys

NOTE: my car is all stock suspension and thus stock ride height, fenders did not have to be rolled in the rear for the 27' mickey thompson

probably my most favorite pic

quick side view (mind the 4x4 suspension)

here an angled side view that kinda makes it look like a tractor

close up of how far they stick out, they sit flush with the fender even with the drag radials on, no rubbing issues after launching it at the track, even going over speed bumps proves no challenge lol

just a quick pic of the the 1.5 bs for the fronts and how much they stick out, they are perfect, no spacers need for this particular wheel.

as for a quick review of the weld rt-s wheels itself.....one word......gorgeous.....love them them to death and turns heads everywhere...well that and the whine of the blower but anyways its a great quality piece that i ordered from jims racing tires,fantastic service and free lugs and stems, the car is driven daily and the wheels have held up so far no dings or dents from the mean potholes of chicago. there is one thing wrong with them.....they are a little heavy for a drag wheel but oh well my car is light enough as it is.

however if anyones looking for the best lightest 16" stock wheels id suggest these lol best rims ive ever brought to the track and picked up all 4 with tires for 250$ and super light. DAT GAP!!!!

photo courteous of ores action photography @ great lakes dragway

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
250$ for all 4 wheels with tires... did I read that right? Where in the hell do you scoop that deal up?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Very nice looking setup.

I just got Dark Stars for mine, 17x4.5 fronts, and 15x10 rears, but with 7.25'' BS, may need a spacer, But i got em on the cheap, so w/e. Hopefully they look as good as yours :)

Question, what made you get 15" fronts? I got 17s for the look. And the 15's would need a spacer to clear Mach 1 (Cobra) brakes.

·
Registered
892 Posts
250$ for all 4 wheels with tires... did I read that right? Where in the hell do you scoop that deal up?
Easy if you look around good. My first drag setup was 2 v6 wheels in front, and 2 jeep cheorkee 15x8 for the rear. Stock cherokee wheels are the same bolt pattern, and will fit a 275 DR nicely with a little bulge. 245 series tires on the front. It worked out well and I got the whole thing for $200. V6 wheels and tires were $60, ET streets for $100 half tread on CL, and the cherokee wheels were $20 a piece, CL as well. Just gotta hawk CL for deals daily.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol i was referring to the V6 pony wheels in the bottom pic best 250$ on wheels and tires ive ever spent for an alternative drag wheel.

The welds set me back 1100$ but with free lugs and stems i couldnt pass them up

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easy if you look around good. My first drag setup was 2 v6 wheels in front, and 2 jeep cheorkee 15x8 for the rear. Stock cherokee wheels are the same bolt pattern, and will fit a 275 DR nicely with a little bulge. 245 series tires on the front. It worked out well and I got the whole thing for $200. V6 wheels and tires were $60, ET streets for $100 half tread on CL, and the cherokee wheels were $20 a piece, CL as well. Just gotta hawk CL for deals daily.
HahahA thats awsome any pics??

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
lmao, anythings possible, you had me there for a second. I have some Hoosier qtp's but don't think I'll be going skinnies, I'd have to run spacers and modify the stock studs to run them. So I'm kinda pissed Bullitts have the Cobra brakes.

lol, got the job done that's all that matters

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice looking setup.

I just got Dark Stars for mine, 17x4.5 fronts, and 15x10 rears, but with 7.25'' BS, may need a spacer, But i got em on the cheap, so w/e. Hopefully they look as good as yours :)

Question, what made you get 15" fronts? I got 17s for the look. And the 15's would need a spacer to clear Mach 1 (Cobra) brakes.
Ya know i thought really hard about it i love the 17" up front and 15" in the rear but IMO that combo only looks good on the 03-04 cobras and the newer 5.0s those cars are much cleaner and can pull off some sporty front 17s but my cars just your average bland stang lol just a gt

I actually wouldve went with the dark stars had i looked around a little longer, it seems that they came out a little bit after i bought my welds, but im happy, if i could go back i would maybe go to a 5.5 bs, its kinda love hate right now with the 4.5 bs

And 7.25bs !! I dont think ull need spacers what model mustang do u have???

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lmao, anythings possible, you had me there for a second. I have some Hoosier qtp's but don't think I'll be going skinnies, I'd have to run spacers and modify the stock studs to run them. So I'm kinda pissed Bullitts have the Cobra brakes.

lol, got the job done that's all that matters
The weld rt-s wheels do come optioned with different pad heights mine for example are medium pad height, thats what these wheels are kinda renowned for, no spacers. Idk if this applys for cobra brakes, cobras, or mach 1s but im pretty sure the fronts clear, but i could be wrong saw a couple guys on svtperformance who made a.nice write up of getting them to fit.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Wheels look sick man! I cant wait to get some wheels for slicks and skinnys!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wheels look sick man! I cant wait to get some wheels for slicks and skinnys!
your car with some billet specialties street lights would go great with that highland green even the chrome weld rt-s would look pretty dam sweet with that green

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
your car with some billet specialties street lights would go great with that highland green even the chrome weld rt-s would look pretty dam sweet with that green
Oh I know. the weld rt-s would look sick. But I dont want to spend that much money on a set of wheels for just track use. I will probably be going with the summit fast fives.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
Nice! lower that thing! lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Man thaank you for this post your right theres nothing out there about the 8 with 4.5bs. I just went through this and decided to order a set anyway glad i did now thx car looks great

1 - 16 of 16 Posts