Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to upgrade my rear end...the stock one seems to be goin out.

So I'm upgrading to a 31 spline

Gettin the stock one out of the 03-04 Cobra(obviously a new one), but 31 spline
31 spline axles(and studs)
4.10 gears

Now since I'm just goin with a new differential would I get away with the installation kit and not the bearing kit? So I could just get that?

Also what gear oil should I go with?

Let me know what I'm missing.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
75-90 gear oil. a new diff and gears will need bearings pressed on, no need to fight getting the old one off just to install on another set. a full install kit will have inner and outter pinion bearings, diff bearings, shims, etc. it would make it a lot easier.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so go ahead and get the bearing kit that comes with all the installation stuff...can do. Alright thanks.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
I have to upgrade my rear end...the stock one seems to be goin out.

So I'm upgrading to a 31 spline

Gettin the stock one out of the 03-04 Cobra(obviously a new one), but 31 spline
31 spline axles(and studs)
4.10 gears

Now since I'm just goin with a new differential would I get away with the installation kit and not the bearing kit? So I could just get that?

Also what gear oil should I go with?

Let me know what I'm missing.

You're going IRS??

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How is your rear end going out already
if you don't mind me asking?
Have no idea, but I can hear it makin noises it shouldnt be making, and if I do peel out at all, it's only one wheel. I don't know if the person who owned the car before me did this or what, but I'm really starting to notice it now, and just want to fix it before it gets worse.

You're going IRS??
No, just grabbing the differential. You can still have a solid axles rear end if you just use the differential that the cobras use. I want it because it's stronger with the carbon fiber clutch packs, it's not too terribly expensive, and I can get it 31 spline as well and have everything stronger than stock. Just added insurance.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
another quick question how much of the gear oil should I buy?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts