Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was driving home today. Everything was going completely normal when all of the sudden..

My transmission completely exploded.. Out of the blue, no warning. The transmission is a known weak point on these cars, and mine wasn't shifting very smoothly so I can't say I'm really surprised. If anyone has a decent transmission to a 89-95 Taurus SHO mtx laying around in CA hit me up.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it threw a pin in the diff. I think i'm going to get a wavetrac diff.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I don't know why Ford used such 'crap' transmissions in the Taurus. From what I've read, very few last more than 100,000 miles. My Dad's 1996 was completely rebuilt at 98,000 miles and his 2003 Taurus's torque converter went out at 63,000 miles :(

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know why Ford used such 'crap' transmissions in the Taurus. From what I've read, very few last more than 100,000 miles. My Dad's 1996 was completely rebuilt at 98,000 miles and his 2003 Taurus's torque converter went out at 63,000 miles :(
Just noticed this

Yea, my buddies grandma had one and it gave out at 105k miles. Never buy a 90's Taurus, unless its an SHO. The mtx SHO's transmissions are made by mazda, and they can barley handle the power. If you're easy on the car it will last an average amount of time, but if not it will give out pretty quickly unfortunately. If you go on craigslist you can find SHO's dirt cheap with blown trannys. Almost bought a PRISTINE one with 80k miles with a blown tranny for $500 cause it was so nice. SHO's are always cheap though. There was even one recently for 3,000 obo that was supercharged and made 500hp. It's sad though how badly treated they are. Such a great engine, not a very good transmission..

I got lucky with mine. It's an import from Canada. Previous owner thought it had 210k miles on it, when it was actually km. It had KYB coilovers, new BFG sport cup 2's on some nice MSR wheels, dynomax exhaust, a COMPLETELY reupholstered interior with all leather, all LED interior lighting, and a bunch of other small stuff. Interior is super nice on this car. Only problem with it was it was a bit boggy cause the MAF was filthy. Cleaned it and she ran great. Took it home for $1680.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts