Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was already told I'll be having to notch or fly cut the Pistons (not sure what the proper term is) even with my b303 cam.

Has anyone used the isky piston notching tool before? It allows you to notch the Pistons while they're still in the car.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I bought a piston cutting tool from Lindy Tools. You leave the short block in the car, remove the valves from one head and cut a valve notch in each piston. It takes some time but works awesome!!

http://www.lindytools.com/ihpc

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,961 Posts
I own the isky setup and use it often. You are on the right track.

·
Qwik Enuff
773 Posts
You wanna reinstall the valvetrain parts to the same valve guide they were removed from,so make sure you buy or make a valvetrain organizer.Plastic ones are available for $10-$15 or you can make one yourself.You can really go cheap and use cardboard,but I went a step forward,using wood & plastic bins.

1) Cut a piece of 1x6
2) Cut 16 recesses in the board side by side,running down the center of the board
3) Cut the recesses 1/2" deep using drill boring bits,so you can set the big end of the valves into the recesses & they'll store vertically.You can use 1 larger bit big enough to accommodate both valve sizes or use 2 bits so each valve will have its own specific size recess cut out.Cut the recess just a tad bit larger than the valve though.
4)Drill a hole beside each recess to store the pushrods vertically
5) Then get 16 rectangle plastic bins (the kind that comes in those small metal storage containers for bolts/nuts/washers/etc storage)
6) Mount 8 bins side by side along the top of the board then mount the other bins side by side along the bottom of the board.
7) You should mount them above & below each set of recesses.
8) It should start out looking something like this::

[_____]
•© ©•
[_____]

**Top bin**
EX-
Valvespring/retainer/locks/rocker/nut

**Holes/Center recesses**
EX- Pushrod/Valve IN- Pushrod/Valve

**Bottom Bin**
IN-
Valvespring/retainer/locks/rocker/nut

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
- Turn the heads upside down, squirt some break clean in the chambers
- Blow air in through the ports
- Watch for lots of bubbles around the valves
- If lots of bubbles, consider lapping the valves, or an actual 5 angle valve job

It would suck to go through all this work and have valves and/or seats that don't seal properly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts