Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wiper cowl on my car been cracked for some time. Well last night I walked out to the car and noticed that a chunk of it had finally cracked and come off, leaving a gapping hole of sore eyeness that I cringed and cursed at the heavens for.

Soooo.... I am going to replace it. I was going to buy my Cobra Chin this month, but noo, the heavens had other other plans for me (insert more cursing at the heavens here).

However... something good can come from this; I think im going to paint the cowl, my mirrors, and fog light bezels gloss black insted of the flat trim black they come from the factory with. Im not talking just spray a few coats of black and call it a day, Im talking sanding, priming, color, clear, the whole nine yards so it is reflective and as close to black paint as I can get it. I might do my rear panel as well since the vinyl there is starting to show wear.

How do you think this would look? My idea is to have it accent the black rims.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Ah well in that case; I think painting it black will look good. :yes

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now, as for installing this thing... I think the proper (and most annoying) way of doing it is going to require removing the hood and the molding that goes between the front and side glass.

Its going to be a PITA, but I am going to take my time installing it and not crack it.

I think something I could do to help reinforce the plastic would be some form of tape all over the underside of it. Maybe masking tape or duct tape? It would never be seen even by me and it would add to the total firmness of the piece.. thoughts?

·
Registered
194 Posts
^---- +1

Just think... it took how long to get this way?? I think it will be fine wothout reinforcenemt underneith... besides it is the sun that makes it get brittle... if you paint it you will be adding uv protection in the clear and it should not crack after that...

The proper way to install is to take the 8mm bolt out of bolth winshield trim pieces... (L&R) and hold them out of the way.. remove the wiper arms... then remove the cowl cover...

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tip on the install. It cracked due to be trying to remove it to paint it in the first place (doh).

Tousley said it shipped today, website has not updated, but hopefully it will be here be the weekend. Its starting to get cold here so I need to paint them soon before it gets to cold. Will prolly have to take a hair dryer to them to make it stick well, plus the clear is picky about temps due to the humidity around here.

I think I am also going to paint by side emblems black while im at this...

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also.. as for the type of paint for this, I was thinking that since I am sanding and priming the plastice pieces I could simply use a automotive black spray insted of krylon fusion or anything... what ya think? I was planning on getting it for the back piece anyways.

For the back panel I think I will simply sand down the clear coat with some 1000grit till I start getting down to the red and then prime that?

I will most deff use adhesion promotor on all these parts as well. I want this to look good and last.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You said tha tyou were going to use automotive paint...(Primer, Base and clear) When you go to your local paint store one of the components that you mix into the priner and base is reducer... They evaporate at different rates based on outside air temp.... You want a reducer that is matched to the temp of the air around what you are spraying... It will make for a better product...

as far as sanding with 1000 grit... that might be too fine... it will work but you'll get a better bite with 400 - 600... (I use 320 before primer and if sealer is gonna be used 320 before basecoat...) Just don't want your hard work to fall off at the first car wash....

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
as far as sanding with 1000 grit... that might be too fine... it will work but you'll get a better bite with 400 - 600... (I use 320 before primer and if sealer is gonna be used 320 before basecoat...) Just don't want your hard work to fall off at the first car wash....
As backwards as this sounds to me, I agree with it. When we painted my dad's car (first full car paint job I did), we sanded the primer down to 1000 grit. When we were finished painting the whole car it looked AWESOME!!! But he quickly found out that the paint would chip off easily and leave the primer exposed.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You said tha tyou were going to use automotive paint...(Primer, Base and clear) When you go to your local paint store one of the components that you mix into the priner and base is reducer... They evaporate at different rates based on outside air temp.... You want a reducer that is matched to the temp of the air around what you are spraying... It will make for a better product...

Im doin this with rattle can. I was saying automotive paint because I dont want to use like... Krylon Fusion for Plastics on the mirrors and such if im going to prime. Therefore I think I am gonna get the Duplicolor automotive black.

Im just doing the mirrors, cowl, fog light bezels, side emblems, and rear mid section. I plan to use more than just 1000grit. Since the current paint on the rear mid section is already smooth and finished I dont plan to go to deep into it to start the new primer. Just enough for it to stick well. I will most deff use the whole range from 320 to prolly 2000 for the finish.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, I was thinking I would paint the side emblems all black, but paint the tri bar insides red... might be hard to do tho since its so small.

What would be the best way to get the emblems on the side off? How would I securely attach them back?

·
WHOOP!
3,145 Posts
I finally caved in and bought one a week ago after driving around with a cracked cowl for over a year. I feel like an idiot paying that much for a plastic pos.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya, same here... but it looked horrid cracked like that. Have you gotten yours in yet? If you did, how did it arrive and how was the install?

·
WHOOP!
3,145 Posts
Ya, same here... but it looked horrid cracked like that. Have you gotten yours in yet? If you did, how did it arrive and how was the install?
The uninstall was super easy, but i didn't have to worry about cracking it since it was already broken. I'm waiting to reinstall in until I get my purge lines set up.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The uninstall was super easy, but i didn't have to worry about cracking it since it was already broken. I'm waiting to reinstall in until I get my purge lines set up.
ahh ok. I think the best way to install it is going to require taking one or two bolts lose from the side trim between the front and side windows lose to life it up and then slide it in there. You dont have to, but I am going to remove my hood at the same time just to be sure I don't crack it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts