Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Basically I was driving home from a hockey game tonight in my new Mustang GT which I just picked up. Road conditions in Edmonton, Alberta aren't the best to say the least. We'll I was going about 80km/h when I hit a huge slope that was completely fog covered and couldn't see a thing. Well I slightly tapped the breaks to slow myself down a bit (learned that this was my near fatal mistake), then I completely lost her. I swayed accross 3 lanes then went into a full 360, I smashed into a snow bank at about 55 which spun me head on into an already spun out car in the snow bank. I narrowly missed him by no more then 8 inches then gained control again. If I would have spun out to the left instead of the right, I would have hit the center concrete median at around 65-70km/h and would have completely destroyed my car. Luckily the snow saved me, there was no damage what-so-ever to the rear end of the car.

I consider myself very lucky after this and learned a great lesson tonight. I just know now that I need to get winter tires, the roads here are pretty much solid ice and even if I tap my gas in second I can feel the car begin to fish tail (my brother has the same problem with his 08 Mustang so I know it's not just me).

Anyone have a suggestion for good winter tires? Studded tires are legal here so they would work if need be, is there any really good brand to try and get that aren't super expensive? I got to bring the car into the dealer ship next Friday for them to install my louvers and touch up to scratches that weren't fixed when I picked the car up, so I can get the tires then.

Thanks for any suggestions.

P.S. If anyone is wondering. The Mustang is my first car (driven my brothers Civic and parents Fusion quite often tho) and I am still what would be considered a newer driver (this is my first standard, etc.).

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
First of all, I am glad you are all right.

Secondly, this is why I don't drive my Mustang in the winter. I'm also Canadian, in northern Ontario. I drive a pos for the winter. Even with good snow tires the Mustang can be bad on snow and ice because of the power and the T-Lok.

You can probably buy a beat up winter beater for the money it will cost you to get 4 good winter tires for your Mustang.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No idea, I hate the Oilers, I'm Leafs fan. Moved from Toronto to here for work 2 and a half years ago.

I just couldn't believe it tho that I managed to recover tho (the snow bank is what really saved me I think). I was so shook up I had to pull over and let my brother drive the rest of the way home.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
No idea, I hate the Oilers, I'm Leafs fan. Moved from Toronto to here for work 2 and a half years ago.

I just couldn't believe it tho that I managed to recover tho (the snow bank is what really saved me I think). I was so shook up I had to pull over and let my brother drive the rest of the way home.
Holy ****. Small world. I grew up in Toronto, and I'm a Leafs fan. Having another great year, aren't they? lol

Well I'm glad you're ok man. Obviously it could have been a lot worse.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy ****. Small world. I grew up in Toronto, and I'm a Leafs fan. Having another great year, aren't they? lol

Well I'm glad you're ok man. Obviously it could have been a lot worse.
Ya best year yet... lol. I really wish they would find a decent goalie...

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Ya best year yet... lol. I really wish they would find a decent goalie...

Yeah and a winger or two for Sundin.....and a Selke-like forward.....and a top defensive defenseman......lol

They've actually been hit pretty hard by injuries this year, with McCabe down, Coliacavo missing a bunch, now Steen down, Ponikarovsky, Kilger, Wellwood missed a bunch and is still not 100% if you watch him skate.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
I woke up to 9" of snow today. I'm so done with the weather lately. 10 days ago we had 40 degrees, then down to -2 degrees, then 38 degrees and today flippin snow, and we're under winter storm warning until 6pm with no signs of this thing letting up right now..

Thankfully the DD Avalanche has no issues with this slop..

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Glad to hear you and your stang are ok. Never been to Canada but would love to some day. BTW, why do hockey teams not hire sumo wrestlers for their goalies?:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Man, Fellow Edmontonian here... Glad ur alright...I parked my 07 Gt for the wnter, it f#?kin sucks since winters like 11 months it seems like but it'll be worth it in sept when the snow melts and can drive the thing I will definately savor the driving time before next winter. All I can do now is walk through the garage and look at it.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
Red Deer here....Im glad you are okay....Mines been on blocks for a while now....But the blizzak is a good winter tire if you must drive it

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
I woke up to 9" of snow today. I'm so done with the weather lately. 10 days ago we had 40 degrees, then down to -2 degrees, then 38 degrees and today flippin snow, and we're under winter storm warning until 6pm with no signs of this thing letting up right now..

Thankfully the DD Avalanche has no issues with this slop..

Agreed. We've had temperature fluctuations here, which suck when you already have 3 feet of snow on the ground. Few days ago it hit 35 and rained, and by the next morning it was 10 degrees and snowing...so now my driveway looks like a skating rink. lol

I just now shoveled another 6" or so. Come on spring already!!

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
-47 hit here yesterday...I wish the snow was melting!

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
-47 hit here yesterday...I wish the snow was melting!
I agree. I wish the temperature would stay normal here. Which is around -18 at night. We get so much snow here as I'm surrounded by Georgian Bay, Lake Simcoe, Lake Couchiching, and other small lakes, that we always have lots of snow. The temp fluctuations always make it a royal icy pain in the ass.

·
Registered
35 Posts
winter driving and mustangs don't go together. protect your investment. glad to hear the snow bank saved your ride and you are unhurt.

sounds like a perfect reason to buy a truck. i pulled that one out of my pocket to convince the wife to trade in her VW Gulf for a F-150.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
ya my 04 silverado has saved my ass lots....Nokian hakapalitas baby!!!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
That is one helluva near death experience. Glad you and the others wound up ok.

The best snow tires I've ever heard of are Nokians. Here's some that fit an '06 Mustang GT. They have other versions as well, studded and non-studded varieties, but for the price you're definitely going to want to put them on some cheap rims and swap them with the seasons to maximize mileage.

But, as Zippee said, a beater car for half a grand or whatever could be the cheaper route up front. Though maybe not the safer route all on its own... what if the beater (does it even have traction control and ABS brakes?) needs traction in 6" of freshly minted snow too? :confused:

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
Man, glad your alright. My best advice, would be to just buy a beater because Mustangs are garbage in the snow. Zip and a somewhat similar experience.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts