Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got to install my E303 came and Ford racing timing set - https://lmr.com/item/M6268A302/Ford-Racing-289-50L-58L-Roller-Timing-Chain

first, the cam didn't come with any pins, and the time set only came with 1 (link above show pic)

Mine had the oil slinger that goes under the came bolt...I figured I might as well put it back, I used the ARP cam bolt and washer... well when I started to tighten it down... the oil slinger was pulling away at the bottom... the slinger has a little tab that goes into the hole for the cam pin... well I guess the cam pin sticks out a little farther the stock one did and wasn't letting it set flush... so I pulled the bolt back out and took the slinger off (since the general conciseness is you don't need it and most motors didn't have it anyway) and then put the bolt back in... and torqued to 45ft lb.

looks like the washer isn't as big as the oem one I think... it's not covering the dowel hole but only a little, this is enough to stop the pin from coming out if it decided to move right? sorry for all the ?, just want to make sure I have no issues..

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I thought about this all day at work....(I have to have OCD!!!!) I know when I put the dowel in, it didn't just fall in... I had to tap it just a little with the end of my ratchet.... but then I got to thinking maybe I should of tap it a little with a hammer...

So, when I got home I got my small punch and small tack hammer and have it a few taps... well it moved in....

So also I was worried about the ARP bolt and washer... I noticed the washer was half the thickness as the OEM one... I also found a old thread on a forum that someone said the same and used the oem... I did notice when I screwed the bolt in by hand, the washer would still turn... it wasn't until I started torqueing it did it tighten... after reading all the bad that can happen if this bolt back out... so I removed the bolt...

the bolt is the same length as the OEM one... so I put the OEM (thicker washer on it) and screwed it back in by hand... it does tighten better... when I screwed the bolt in with no washer, where it stopped by hand was a nice gap, but the OEM washer filled that better... I was also now able to put the OEM oil slinger back on...

So now I'm using the ARP bolt, with the thicker OEM washer and oil slinger installed... so now I feel better....

Attachments

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,951 Posts
Yes, timing looks right. I never put the oil slingers back on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts