Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend on a drive from New Orleans to Dallas. And a long story short. I have a spun rod bearing now.

So keeping my chin up... Time to look for a new motor. I am on a budget.

Due to finances I am going to look for a used motor. I am looking at the 5.4 2v and the Lincoln mark VIII 4.6 4v.

Does anybody have any input? :D

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Real sorry to hear that dude, but as another owner of an '02 GT, might I ask what you were doing when it happened?

Just cruising at a steady speed?,,,,or high rpms? How many miles on the motor?

I vote 5.4,,,,,but those teksid 4.6...hmmmmmmm

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Get a 3v. Cheap, newer, aluminum block, and good potential.

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Real sorry to hear that dude, but as another owner of an '02 GT, might I ask what you were doing when it happened?

Well the previous owner had put in a dip stick that was too long so basically it was low and I didn't realize it until it was too late. On the drive I had a few high rpm pulls within 100 miles I noticed a tick. That in 2 days became a knock.

Just cruising at a steady speed?,,,,or high rpms? How many miles on the motor?

Hwy speeds. Between 75 and.... alittle more :D

I vote 5.4,,,,,but those teksid 4.6...hmmmmmmm
Get a 3v. Cheap, newer, aluminum block, and good potential.
I considered that but I can find a 4v mark8 motor for 3-500. The 3v motors are great and light but start around $1000. I plan on replacing the clutch while I am in there and my 3rd gear synchro. I don't really want/can't spend more than $1500ish total.

How much can you afford?
See above.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Really only for 2V's. I haven't messed with many 3V's.
Well, when he decides to work on the car Ill let you know to see if you want to give it a try. His car has the bigger injectors, FRPP Throttle Body, LT headers, SC pulley. The car ran a 11.3 with a bad clutch. Recently he added new rear end, and control arms with a new clutch.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I considered that but I can find a 4v mark8 motor for 3-500. The 3v motors are great and light but start around $1000. I plan on replacing the clutch while I am in there and my 3rd gear synchro. I don't really want/can't spend more than $1500ish total.

See above.
good luck on 1500ish with a 5.4 swap or 4v swap, be real hard to do being all the other parts and tuning you need to get them running right, plus a clutch and syncro, 1500 will be spent fast lol

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
How did the motor break were you just riding at like 70mph and things went south?? What happened to make it take a crap or what was going on when it took a crap?

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By 70 I mean 130mph. So basically high rpm's and only about 3 qts of oil did her in.

I will get her going in about a month. And yes $1500 will be gone quick, but I am doing all the work my self and I have a friend rebuilding the trans for just the parts at cost. No labor.

I may go over my budget but I might as well do it right the first time.

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
689 Posts
i have a 5.4 2v engine minus intake, thats is disassembled, ready for the machine shop. i paid $300 for it all but its been sitting in the garage due to no finances so ill let u have it for $200. if ur interested pm me.

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have a 5.4 2v engine minus intake, thats is disassembled, ready for the machine shop. i paid $300 for it all but its been sitting in the garage due to no finances so ill let u have it for $200. if ur interested pm me.
Sweet. Let me sleep on it. If I go that route I will let you know.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts

See above.
Just keep min mind if you go with a mark 8 you will need different headers and a few other things. Every now and then 3v's will pop up for like 7-800$. But from the sound of it a 5.4 seems to be what your leaning towards.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Get the Mark 8 setup but only use the shortblock. This will save you 80ish lbs plus give a nice bump in compression with your 2v heads.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts