Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
7.62x39 CO2 Cannon
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the CDC and Govt in general handling this poorly in your opinion, or is the media just hyping this mess?

Media is reporting like this is some highly contagious stuff, and keep saying it's spreading because it takes 21 days for it to show up, and most folks who are in the USA that are confirmed to have it, well, they've been on airplanes, in hospitals, and in general, had contact with a lot of people.

Well, doesn't seem like many have fallen ill with this stuff as of now.

https://news.yahoo.com/cdc-says-missed-opportunities-contain-ebola-044302209.html

I've felt like it's not that big of a deal. It's like every year there is some medical scare, but not much ever comes of it. So I guess that and normalcy bias has got me not really worried about it personally.

Opinions? :headscratcher:

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
You should check out the Ebola thread in the clubhouse.

·
Official Thread Killer
10,460 Posts

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Yes to both questions.

The government is handling it extremely poorly. Pres. Obama came out and said that the welfare of other country's citizens is more important than our own recently. That upsets me quite a bit.

And yes, the media is blowing it overboard too, same as they did with Mad Cow disease, same as they did with SARS, same as they do with the flu every damn year. Some will get it, some won't, we'll have to adapt.

·
7.62x39 CO2 Cannon
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1

That one has been going strong for weeks now...

linkage

Thanks, will check it out. I live in politics and guns, so didn't even know there was already an Ebola thread. :lol

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Yes to both questions.

The government is handling it extremely poorly. Pres. Obama came out and said that the welfare of other country's citizens is more important than our own recently. That upsets me quite a bit.

And yes, the media is blowing it overboard too, same as they did with Mad Cow disease, same as they did with SARS, same as they do with the flu every damn year. Some will get it, some won't, we'll have to adapt.

Wow! I can't believe that guy! Doesn't surprise me that he can get away with saying something like that.

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
Not sure if this is the statement or video you are talking about Woodman but it's a short one. On that statement you summed up that the President made "welfare of other country's citizens is more important than our own" is this what you were referring to from 7:35 until the end or was it a different address? I have missed a lot of the news lately bc of everything that's been going on with it. You referred to a recent statement though is this the one you were talking about or was it another? I seen a few on there but this was kind of a more recent one.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Possibly. I really don't jump on the "pick apart everything the president says" bandwagon a whole lot, but I found the wording on that very bad. I'll look it up and get a reference.

·
Registered
11,184 Posts

And yes, the media is blowing it overboard too......
Possibly. I really don't jump on the "pick apart everything the president says" bandwagon a whole lot, but I found the wording on that very bad. I'll look it up and get a reference.
Oh okay gotcha. I was wondering if it was something you directly heard in one of those speeches I missed or I was wondering if it was something that someone in a way interpreted him saying kinda like the words in that speech I just pointed out. It seems as if reporters and newscasters can sum things up in various ways for whatever reason.

I was just wondering bc I know in that video I just posted he did mention our country and our capacity to handle it and he mentioned some others places as well and how we should handle that. When some sum that up I suppose it can be summed in various ways depending on who is doing the summing up. It's not a big deal I was just wondering.

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
What about Obama just signing an Executive Order ordering the mobilization of National Guard troops to Liberia, and other affected countries in Africa? Boy am I glad I'm not in the National Guard. I'd be more scared to go there then a war zone. At least you in know when youre being shot at there. In Africa you could just contract the infection and die.

Please explain to me the reasoning behind sending troops there? What is the point? And why would we willingly put hundred if not thousands of American service men in danger of contracting Ebola?

Obama really is the dumbest person on the face of this earth. No one in their right mind would do this.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
What about Obama just signing an Executive Order ordering the mobilization of National Guard troops to Liberia, and other affected countries in Africa? Boy am I glad I'm not in the National Guard. I'd be more scared to go there then a war zone. At least you in know when youre being shot at there. In Africa you could just contract the infection and die.

Please explain to me the reasoning behind sending troops there? What is the point? And why would we willingly put hundred if not thousands of American service men in danger of contracting Ebola?

Obama really is the dumbest person on the face of this earth. No one in their right mind would do this.
I hadn't heard that yet. My issue with that statement is you said NATIONAL guard. Our national guard should not be going to another country.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I hadn't heard that yet. My issue with that statement is you said NATIONAL guard. Our national guard should not be going to another country.
Its a medical issue, its not like they're sending a bunch of army docs to administer vaccines. There is no reason for our military to be there. Anything that is done should be a joint effort lead by the WHO. What are they going to do other than sit around or get forced to play nurse? Which believe me is a possibility, military loves making us do stupid **** that's not our job.

Ignoring the other issues present in Africa there's no purpose. There's no bad guys to patrol for, no villages to clear, nothing to do other than sit around and try not to get infected. Just wastes even more money, sends people into harms way for no reason yet again. It only risks more people getting infected and potentially bringing it back with them.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Its a medical issue, its not like they're sending a bunch of army docs to administer vaccines. There is no reason for our military to be there. Anything that is done should be a joint effort lead by the WHO. What are they going to do other than sit around or get forced to play nurse? Which believe me is a possibility, military loves making us do stupid **** that's not our job.

Ignoring the other issues present in Africa there's no purpose. There's no bad guys to patrol for, no villages to clear, nothing to do other than sit around and try not to get infected. Just wastes even more money, sends people into harms way for no reason yet again. It only risks more people getting infected and potentially bringing it back with them.
I don't know what you're quoting me for, I'm saying the same thing. I was just pointing out that the national guard is supposed to do just that....guard our nation. It's hard to guard our nation when you're in another country. They should only be deployed in our nation.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I don't know what you're quoting me for, I'm saying the same thing. I was just pointing out that the national guard is supposed to do just that....guard our nation. It's hard to guard our nation when you're in another country. They should only be deployed in our nation.
Should have said +1, I was agreeing with you. Sorry for the confusion

·
7.62x39 CO2 Cannon
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This really sucks. Send our men to face Ebola and here at home, they're showing major incompetence in the handling of Ebola cases.

I'm not liking what I'm hearing in the news about this and I've got to fly out on the 30th from CA to the east coast, dammit. :facepalm:

Maybe I should just rent a car and drive. :dunno

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Some one mentioned the guard shouldn't go to other countries. Well we go to them... Alot to.

I would hate to go over there. I'd rather go to a war zone. I really hope my unit doesn't go. But they've been moving the entire battalion around. I've been busy with guard more than work right now. So my unit may be gearing up for something... Who knows.

As far as what we would do out there? We'd prolly hand out water bottles and stupid **** like that. Basically a ooo! Look at me! I'm helping this poorer country! (From Obamas view) it's just going to get or innocent troops sick maybe some killed..

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
I heard they deployed the guard because Obama cannot by himself order the deployment of Active duty personnel to a non war zone. He has to have approval from the joint chiefs and head generals of the branches. I know this is just speculating, but I read an article that says the head generals of the Military refused to deploy any of their troops to Africa, and Obama couldn't overrule that decision by himself. He can however order the National Guard to wherever he wants without any approval from anyone by Executive Order.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts