Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a muffler (Flowmaster super 44) and I need to know EXACTLY what the size is. I think its 2 1/2 inch inlet 3 inch outlet. But I dont know if they are offset and all that stuff.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
3 inch outlet would be for the tip size. So if your talking axleback then that would be the size of the tip. Of course you could make variations with that.

And yea what nasty said

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Well the stockers should have the outlet on the farther side of the car. As in if its your driver side muffler, its on your left, and passenger, on the right.

Some aftermarker ones are centered tho if thats what you mean

·
Premium Member
22,436 Posts
I dont understand what you guys mean. (and yeah its an axle back, theres no reason to replace the pipes.)
The S197 uses a muffler that is located at the rear bumper. It's not just a standard universal muffler. The mufflers that you should be buying are called an axleback and they are model specific.

Flowmaster 17410 Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-Back Exhaust Mustang 2005+ GT - 17410

Flowmaster 817410 Flowmaster Axle-Back Exhaust Mustang 2005+ GT Stainless Steel - 817410

Flowmaster 817460 Flowmaster American Thunder Classic System Axle-Back Exhaust Mustang 2005+ GT - 817460

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
When you buy them they already come specific for the S197 with the measurements correctly done.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
well that sucks... so im gona have to rebuild the pipes then. I dont like the ATs I want Super 44s.
I don't honestly think you have to rebuild your pypes is you buy an axleback specific to your car(S197) if you are buying an axleback or cat-back kit. They all come made for them, just bolt on.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just IMO, you want something that's going to sound a little throaty and better than Flowmasters, get CherryBomb mufflers. NOT GLASPACKS! Any reputable muffler shop will be able to put in a set for around $200 or possibly less. I agree with Nasty, the 44's sound shitty and you're not going to be very happy when all is said and done.

·
Registered
569 Posts
if your run a mid-muffler setup then the inlet and outlet would be 2 and a half, but if you run a axle back then the outlet would just be the tips that you see at your rear bumper so the size of that doesnt really matter. It just depends on how big you like your tips.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I see why you don't want to bother with the pipes since you said that eventualy you are getting side exhaust and till then flowmasters are a good cheap solution for better sound(I'm not a fan of flows on the S197). When you go side exhaust though, do not go cheap or you will hate yourself and probably cry in your sleep and wake up with black eyes from hitting yourself in the face.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.