Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Cai do you guys have if one at all? I'm doing research and found that they really don't do anything.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My last Mustang which I sold in December had a JLT RAI. This new one came with the Steeda intake which I'm not a fan of. If I replace it, I'll be getting JLT again but I'm not sure yet if I'm going to save up for s/c so we'll see.

But yes, they don't add much at all but they make the engine bay look better if you go to shows lol /semi-ricer comment

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have the BBK RAI. and the actually do help...in conjunction with other things. Think of it like a vaccuum cleaner. Say that the hose is small but the actual attachment is large. It has potential to suck up more air over a larger area. But the hose is limiting this. The hose is like the TB/plenum. Basically start from the front and work your way back. CAI,TB/Plenum,exhaust. When all of these are combined you will feel a good gain.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the bbk cai and I have been pleased with it plus it looks good when you raise the hood. I must say getting to the filter to take it off and clean it is a pita.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Currently have a JLT but i am already starting to look for a C&L so i can run a strut tower brace.

·
Registered
594 Posts
K&N ram intake here..my advice is don't get a fender well intake. Hard to clean/get at the filter, slight risk of getting water on it from the wheel well, and I don't buy the colder air having much benefit when you consider the bends in the piping that you add. Get whatever ram intake you can get for cheap!

·
Registered
775 Posts
K&N CAI

Makes the engine looker meanier but otherwise i was young and naive. Wish I could have the money back because it was money down the drain.

If I could redo, K&N drop in filter :)

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
K&N ram intake here..my advice is don't get a fender well intake. Hard to clean/get at the filter, slight risk of getting water on it from the wheel well, and I don't buy the colder air having much benefit when you consider the bends in the piping that you add. Get whatever ram intake you can get for cheap!
extra bend in the pipe will not cause enough drag to loose hp. now sucking in hot air past the iat senser will make your car pull timing and that will cost you hp.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I guess I feel like the hp numbers from an intake are already negligible, and I prefer the crisp ram intake throttle response, but maybe a fender well feels the same. As far as iats go, unless you are stopped for a long period, while driving the air coming from the fender well hole should be plenty cold and the k&N has a shield around the filter that blocks off most of the engine bay heat. I again would say get a ram intake for cheap used or get a k&N drop in and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Love my jlt cai. Iats are always around 5 degrees of outside temp, while with my k&n rai with heat shield it was always around 30 degrees hotter and when I sat at lights it was 50 degrees hotter. Plus cant beat the look of the 4 inch pipe painted to match the car.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
C&L....... I had the JLT, but come on.......... It's sewer pipe and a couple connectors.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i wouldnt run JLT if i had to pay more than $5 for it, thats about all they are worth imo. i ran C&L, i made my own for current set up.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have the K&N one. I like it a lot. Sucks air like it should. Especially when it is clean. Sounds alright as well.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
JLT True CAI. Like, but saving up to a KB, pro charger, or Whipple intake. The JLT was easy to put in and works very well.

·
Registered
487 Posts
k & n typhoon chrome
looks good easy and to clean

·
Registered
961 Posts
K&N CAI

Makes the engine looker meanier but otherwise i was young and naive. Wish I could have the money back because it was money down the drain.

If I could redo, K&N drop in filter :)
when i bought my new edge, it had a drop in plus the silencer removed. i put a jlt on and it didnt perform or sound better, at all, litteraly nothing gained
C&L....... I had the JLT, but come on.......... It's sewer pipe and a couple connectors.
i was pissed when i paid 200+ for it to find it its painted pvc
I have the K&N one. I like it a lot. Sucks air like it should. Especially when it is clean. Sounds alright as well.
if you can hear your intake, your exhaust setup is too quiet.

after having an intake on every car ive owned, i came to a conclusion, they do nothing more than look good, and sound better than stock. my s197 (which are notorious for making huge gains with intake/tuner setups) i had the diablosport predetor with the canned 87 tune, then i got a brand new jlt for cheap(which also boast the biggest gain) and i felt very very little difference with the intake and 91 tune over the canned 87 tune. so what does that mean? the gains are all from the tune, and **** from the intake. i remember when i bought my very first CAI, it was for my old 300zx that i had in high school, my dad, who is an old hot rodder looked at it and said "son, i hope you didnt piss too much money away on this because it isnt gonna do ****" and damnit if it didnt take me 6 cars and 15 years to realize he was right.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts