Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,how many of you on here have cams installed in your 4.6 2 valve? what kind is best to run in a AOD car and how much did it cost to have them installed?and do they improve the power pretty good?my car has headers,X-pipe,CAI,throttle body right now.i plan on doing a gear and some kind of tune here soon before mustang week at Myrtle Beach.and i'm going to do a head install when i get back maybe.but i wanted to do the cams now for the sound.i know in the old 5.0 motors doing a cam install was worhtless without heads and intake ETC.thats fine i'm not worried about the raw performance right now i just want it to sound good and all.what are good cams for these motors? i hear the COMP 270's are good but can they be ran with an AODE tranny? thanks guys for all your input

·
Registered
663 Posts
The mechanic and tuner (same guy) I like and go to quoted me @ 20 hours to replace the valve seals. He charges $85.00 an hour, so that would come out to $1700.

Most of that was because he said he pulls the motor 9 times out of 10 since it makes it a hell of a lot easier to deal with.

That's $1700, sometimes it might be worth it to look at a used supercharger kit and bolting it on yourself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mechanic and tuner (same guy) I like and go to quoted me @ 20 hours to replace the valve seals. He charges $85.00 an hour, so that would come out to $1700.

Most of that was because he said he pulls the motor 9 times out of 10 since it makes it a hell of a lot easier to deal with.

That's $1700, sometimes it might be worth it to look at a used supercharger kit and bolting it on yourself.
no it can be done cheaper than that.$1700 is steep! a guy told me on another forum that he got charged $550 for labor and the shop is near me about 1 hour away.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
i went with comp262's(stage 1 N/A cams) in my auto...charged $300 to install them, and i spent another $100 on new gaskets, etc...and $150 on a new dyno tune.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
ShapeShifter, I am really like your car. What % is the tint? And what type of front bumper is that?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
ShapeShifter, I am really like your car. What % is the tint? And what type of front bumper is that?
looks like a 99/01 Cobra

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
yea 99/01 cobra front and 20% tint on front 2 windows and 5% on rear qtr windows and rear windshield....thanks for the compliment.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i dunno about how big of a difference it makes with an auto but i know alot of guys, myself included like the 270s. they are a good set of cams.

If you're gonna get heads later i would say just wait to do it all in one shot. heads and cams. that way you dont have to pay twice for labor. thats what i did. i cant give an estimate on price cuz i got all mine used and installed by a friend.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Comp 270s seem to be the prefered route to go...you will need to run a higher stall convertor if running that cam.

20 hours for a cam install/valve upgrade???? Yeah dont go to that shop. Yes it is easier to pull the motor to do the work, but if you know what your doing you can get that motor out in 3 hours.

So $1700 labor +600 for cams = 2300...man for 3k you can get some ported polished heads with 270 cams for about that price that are already setup minus install...install is a bit of a bitch, but basic hand tools + torque wrench will be all you need to do it.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
cams are really easy to do guys... you could save alot of money, i can give you guys a write up on how i did mine and how to get the timing dialed in

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Shapeshifter - that seems like a more than fair deal on the cam install!

How do you like the Comp 262s?

How much seat of the pants gain did you feel?

Any seat of the pants loss at lower rpm?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Shapeshifter - that seems like a more than reasonable deal on the cam install.

How do you like the new cams vs. stock???

How noticeable is the seat of the pants difference and any loss in low end response?

Thanks.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
Keep in mind that you will need to change converters if you get very excessive with your cam profile.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Comp 270s seem to be the prefered route to go...you will need to run a higher stall convertor if running that cam.

20 hours for a cam install/valve upgrade???? Yeah dont go to that shop. Yes it is easier to pull the motor to do the work, but if you know what your doing you can get that motor out in 3 hours.

So $1700 labor +600 for cams = 2300...man for 3k you can get some ported polished heads with 270 cams for about that price that are already setup minus install...install is a bit of a bitch, but basic hand tools + torque wrench will be all you need to do it.
I was just throwing it out there, and I did a quick look on google on other forums and some people said they were quoted over a $1000.

I just threw that number out there because it's what I was told (I don't know any better) and at least it was a number and not "a lot." :)

I really like the guy I deal with; but I'd love cams. Anyone have a recommendation on a shop in Northern Illinois that would install cams and do valve seals for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Shapeshifter - that seems like a more than fair deal on the cam install!

How do you like the Comp 262s?

How much seat of the pants gain did you feel?

Any seat of the pants loss at lower rpm?
i feel no loss in low-end torque, being that this is a stage 1 n/a cam...and i also have a 3800 stall....i can feel the power increase, somewhat...havent really punched it...i drive like a grandma,lol....but tomorrow i will be track testing it..prev. best before cams was a 13.0 @ 104 w/1.71 60'ft

Dyno #'s w/cams: 283rwhp/301rwtq

Pre-Cams, Dyno #'s: 254rwhp/278rwtq

I picked up a solid 29rwhp and 23rwtq with the addition of the cams.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Keep in mind that you will need to change converters if you get very excessive with your cam profile.
+1 iv seen guys change out there springs, and do all this stuff to get the most radical cams they can with out changing the pistons, but have stock pi heads and stock exhaust

1 - 20 of 25 Posts