Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been away from the mustang scene for awhile. I had a nicely set up '05 a couple years ago but now I'm looking at buying a supercharged 4.6L '07 or '08. So my question is what can these cars really handle. Many sellers claim 500-600 hp at the crank usually using twin screw s/c's but I can't see them handling that kind of power and stay reliable. Do ya think these numbers are exaggerated or are the cars set up for failure?

I know I could of done a bunch of searches to find the answer but I admit it, I'm to lazy for that right now....

Thanks!

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
It depends, a stock GT500 makes those kind of numbers. I see it happening, there are many members here running around with stock lower ends pushing 400+ rwhp on low boost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True, but a GT500 has a completely different motor & trans. I'm assuming a better cooling system as well.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Yeah, but I was using it as an example, but ok. A Rousch 427R puts out 435rwhp from the factory, that is using a supercharged 3v.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Are you against building an engine? What are your power goals? What kind of setup do you plan on running?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
have you done anything to make it more reliable?

He's toying with you. Probably because you're lazy and didn't click a button and type a couple of words. As in search. :p
EDIT: meh, maybe he's not toying with you. Bad assumption on my part. Anyway, there's a ton of threads on here about your subject.

If you want to be edgy and walk the line, get ready to rebuild your engine. If you don't want to walk the line, spend some money on a really really good dyno tune, do your research, get good kit and don't go hog wild.

Really, what were you expecting? :D

The gt500 has a stronger engine than the 4.6, don't try to compare the two....

·
Registered
662 Posts
In my case it's 464.31rwhp & 449.5rwtq with a twin screw @10psi boost, still no problems. Planning on forged bottom down the road...........................

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Yeah, but I was using it as an example, but ok. A Rousch 427R puts out 435rwhp from the factory, that is using a supercharged 3v.
Nope...that is crank horsepower; RWHP is around 360.

A 427R with a 2.57 pulley and a good cold air intake and custom tune will put down 385-400 RWHP and that is all.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
In my case it's 464.31rwhp & 449.5rwtq with a twin screw @10psi boost, still no problems. Planning on forged bottom down the road...........................
That's my goal, and a lot of guys with the newer blowers - Edelbrock and the Roush TVS are pushing 460-505 on the stock bottom end and it is staying together.

Kenne Bell and Whipples can do the same...staying at under 10 PSI with a GOOD TUNE guys are easily laying down 450-505 RWHP.

You can blow up a car at 380 RWHP with a bad tune that detonates.

On my new build, I am going to shoot for 460, get a good custom dyno tune, and hope that it is reliable until I'm ready to forge it. If I blow it up I'll just tear it down, forge it anyway, and then re-pulley it for 18-20 PSI. :D

If you search, most will say that 450 RWHP is a good, repeatable safe limit on MOST cars with a good tune...your results may vary.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have 440rwhp corrected on stock motor with Saleen blower. Not sure where to go from here

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
You can assrape your engine when it's bone stock if you drive it like it's meant to be driven. obviously, the chances increase as you modify.

The ~generally~ accepted number for tolerance of the bottom end of the 4.6L modular engine is 500 rwhp. And that's the outer limits.

Many keep it uder that- a few play just above that.

Some people grenadify their **** at 420 rwhp, some have 20k+ miles on their **** running over 500 at the wheels.

What everyne here is trying to tell you is, if you pressurize your tiny little cylinders, you are running a risk of bamboozling a rod right out the block or oil pan. Especially if you drive like I do with your right foot firmly planted to the floorboard.

You can, of course, put 12psi of boost on your engine and then baby it so it won't blow up.

And we will call you Nancy.

Hi, Nancy!

·
Registered
662 Posts
You can assrape your engine when it's bone stock if you drive it like it's meant to be driven. obviously, the chances increase as you modify.

The ~generally~ accepted number for tolerance of the bottom end of the 4.6L modular engine is 500 rwhp. And that's the outer limits.

Many keep it uder that- a few play just above that.

Some people grenadify their **** at 420 rwhp, some have 20k+ miles on their **** running over 500 at the wheels.

What everyne here is trying to tell you is, if you pressurize your tiny little cylinders, you are running a risk of bamboozling a rod right out the block or oil pan. Especially if you drive like I do with your right foot firmly planted to the floorboard.

You can, of course, put 12psi of boost on your engine and then baby it so it won't blow up.

And we will call you Nancy.

Hi, Nancy!
:withhomo What he said......................

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts