Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the last 2 oil changes my car seems to have higher than normal oil pressure...And it starting to make an "airy" spuddering sound when i accelerate. Can't feel a loss of power though...

Heres what my stock gauge reads, is this abnormally high? It used to be exactly in the middle. Should i worry?

Ive always ran valvoline conventional 5w-30 and changed every 2-3000 miles with a oem motorcraft oil filter. Ive been putting in just under 5 quarts... This is the correct amount right??? Will changes in oil levels alter the oil pressure??

If someone could give me insight about the oil pressure increase and the spuddering that'd be great too. have 127,000 miles on the 6er

·
Registered
928 Posts
it looks in the middle to me.. but if your trying to give us an idea of were it is itd probably be better to take a picture straight on

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
The oil pressure looks fine to me. I believe mine sits right in that area as well. And 5qts is how much oil our engines need. Which is nice because you can just pick up a 5qt jug of oil and it all goes in. As for the airy sputtering noise, where is it coming from?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the needle is just touching the spout end of the oil thing, it used to be exactly in the middle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My best guess is that the spuddering is coming from the engine bay. I do have a dual exhaust on it so i guess i could potentially have a exhaust leak since that was installed 5-7 years ago...maybe something went bad?

But im not really sure... I did change the plugs about 5000 miles ago and before that it didnt really spudder. Could a improper gap do that?

Oh and is my TOB bad if my car has a small whine (that sounds like serpintine belt whine) when in gear? But doesn't whine when the clutch pedal is depressed? Sorry about all these questions, my car sounds like **** right now since it's been making all sorts of strange noises...

·
Registered
461 Posts
how many miles total are on the mustang? Your pressure issue could be from gunk buildup if its a high mileage car. Sea Foam it and See if that helps. If not you may have a bad OPSU (Oil Pressure Sending Unit)

On the sputtering sound. Open the engine bay and start the car. Listen for any hissing sounds or whistling at idle These would be your exhaust leaks if there are any. If no hissing or whistling give the throttle body a little love and rev the car up and listen. If its not a leak its your EGR valve on the front of the motor, replace or delete. The V6 are really bad about burning the diaphragm in the EGRs out

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
On the sputtering sound. Open the engine bay and start the car. Listen for any hissing sounds or whistling at idle These would be your exhaust leaks if there are any. If no hissing or whistling give the throttle body a little love and rev the car up and listen. If its not a leak its your EGR valve on the front of the motor, replace or delete. The V6 are really bad about burning the diaphragm in the EGRs out
Exhaust leaks can also make a ticking noise.

Best bet on the sputtering is to open the hood and rev the engine by hand (use the throttle body) so you can hopefully get a good idea of where it's coming from.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The oil pressure is fine... the gauge is FAKE. The oil pressure sending unit is a switch that is activated by psi (I faintly recall 3-5 psi). Once the psi is achieved (the second you turn your car on) it puts the gauge needle right in the middle. It was put there to be "sporty" and maybe offer some "peace of mind"........... Ford FAILED on that one

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
+1 ^

All the oil pressure gauge is telling you is that you have at least 7 psi (IIRC) of pressure. As soon as the "sending unit" sees at least that much pressure, it provides a ground to the gauge, which places the needle in the "NORMAL" range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts