Modded Mustang Forums banner

15741 - 15760 of 17707 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
yea I realize that. its when they just refer me to a standard exterior after I explain what im looking for. had one detail shop tell me new car paint is to thin to compound...

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
I could understand that BIG NUMBER from a one man shop. But in order to actually get business you need to get the ball moving. Lower price, faster service, happy customers. Now if your work is shitty then something needs to be done. But don't judge a business by their price. They might a thing or two. Also when I stated up top.... See if they STAND by there work.
Doesnt matter if its one guy or five working on the car at one time. One guy might charge 30 an hour, a 2 or 3 man team will charge 90, they will clear the same amount of money.

Im not talking about new people or people who "need" business. Im talking about paint correction PROS. People who already have cars lined up because they know what they are doing and produce proper results, thats is what Texan1983 is looking for. Its pretty evident that a detailer who does true correction is fairly rare, thats why people who actually do get well compensated for there time.

Example: There is a guy here in Atlanta who is very established and known for proper detailing. His ONE STEPS start at 550. His TWO step correction, which he states is an 85-100% correction rate, STARTS at 1500.

located in central Iowa.

So far I am guessing there isn't a shop in iowa that will do true full correction. several calls later and most shops either don't know what im talking about or tell me to bring it by for an estimate on scratch repair... Then I explain that I want the whole thing done and I get quoted an exterior detail job (100-150 bucks)
Probably gonna be hard to find man. I wish you were local to me id help you out with a good price.

yea I realize that. its when they just refer me to a standard exterior after I explain what im looking for. had one detail shop tell me new car paint is to thin to compound...
LOL. Some paint is, most is fairly safe tho...IME.

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
Doesnt matter if its one guy or five working on the car at one time. One guy might charge 30 an hour, a 2 or 3 man team will charge 90, they will clear the same amount of money.

Im not talking about new people or people who "need" business. Im talking about paint correction PROS. People who already have cars lined up because they know what they are doing and produce proper results, thats is what Texan1983 is looking for. Its pretty evident that a detailer who does true correction is fairly rare, thats why people who actually do get well compensated for there time.

Example: There is a guy here in Atlanta who is very established and known for proper detailing. His ONE STEPS start at 550. His TWO step correction, which he states is an 85-100% correction rate, STARTS at 1500.

Probably gonna be hard to find man. I wish you were local to me id help you out with a good price.

So the higher the price the better you are?

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
So the higher the price the better you are?
No, I didnt say that...at all.

My point is this. There is a different between getting a good deal on the same service, OR getting price so drastically low that its obviously not the same service.

If 2 people offered the actual same service, one for 250 and one for 1500, then the person charging 1500 would never stay in business- unless, in fact, the service offered for the larger price was substantially more advanced or better somehow.

·
Registered
437 Posts
going to give the body shop a chance. seeing as he was the only guy the acted like he knew what i was talking about. their normal Exterior detail is like 80 bucks. so being quoted 250+ seems like some better effort. we shall see. ill report back next week.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
going to give the body shop a chance. seeing as he was the only guy the acted like he knew what i was talking about. their normal Exterior detail is like 80 bucks. so being quoted 250+ seems like some better effort. we shall see. ill report back next week.
I strongly urge you dont. They will most likely use a rotary polisher and leave a ton of holograms. 99% of body shops do this.

For like 100 more bucks you can get a griots garage DA kit with compound, polish, MFs. Youll have to do it yourself but you wont have paid money for someone to make your paint worse.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
It will be destroyed at a more expensive price at the body shop. They will give it to some low man worker who will bust out a rotary and has no idea how to properly use and your car will come back looking like an 80's trading card holograms everywhere and paid $250 instead of $80 to be butchered

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
It will be destroyed at a more expensive price at the body shop. They will give it to some low man worker who will bust out a rotary and has no idea how to properly use and your car will come back looking like an 80's trading card holograms everywhere and paid $250 instead of $80 to be butchered
+1,000.

I would probably be skeptical of a GOOD detailer who uses ONLY a rotary. Is a perfect finish possible- yes, but it takes stupid skill and WAY more time to actually produce a true mark-free finish. Most people arent going to put the time in to do it right and still leave minor marks everywhere.

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts

First off they won't clear the same amount when there is more efficiency and more clients. You make me laugh because you want to try really hard and sound smart but in reality you have no idea how to run a business. You can go ahead and look around your area $200 for this $800 for that. You can say what ever you want on the internet for your business but in all truthfulness nobody is going to want to spend $500+ on a ****ing paint correction. You will get the occasional yes. which is like 2 out of 5.How do I know? I do this gig every day. I market the RIGHT way, I network, I have my specific target audience. I go to business to business. I am not going to lower my standard by have prices starting around $250. People love that. Its very competitive and you always would want to give your customer options.
The guy in "Atlanta" I laugh at this too. Who gives a **** about this guy. Please tell me how the hell is he charging for 800, and then charge 1500. $1500 will get you a new ****ing paint job. I cringe. Because I actually know how much it cost to actually do the detail. That's pure robbery. The only thing that is costing him is time. That's where efficiency is coming to play. Please if you have something more to say about prices, show me your clients list for this week how much business do you generate for this week? Tell me how $500 + is going get you business.

I will tell you this much. Body shops are a hit and miss. My buddy owns his own shop and they do a decent job. No holograms no swirls no bs. I would see if you could take a look at their work. See if they were to warranty their service. Do some research on the business. Don't ask somebody that they have no clue on who owns the business and how they run it. Also their quality of work.

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
+1,000.

I would probably be skeptical of a GOOD detailer who uses ONLY a rotary. Is a perfect finish possible- yes, but it takes stupid skill and WAY more time to actually produce a true mark-free finish. Most people arent going to put the time in to do it right and still leave minor marks everywhere.

I can tell you this from experience. It's takes WAY less time to use a rotary if you know how to use it properly.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
First off they won't clear the same amount when there is more efficiency and more clients. You make me laugh because you want to try really hard and sound smart but in reality you have no idea how to run a business. You can go ahead and look around your area $200 for this $800 for that. You can say what ever you want on the internet for your business but in all truthfulness nobody is going to want to spend $500+ on a ****ing paint correction. You will get the occasional yes. which is like 2 out of 5.How do I know? I do this gig every day. I market the RIGHT way, I network, I have my specific target audience. I go to business to business. I am not going to lower my standard by have prices starting around $250. People love that. Its very competitive and you always would want to give your customer options.
The guy in "Atlanta" I laugh at this too. Who gives a **** about this guy. Please tell me how the hell is he charging for 800, and then charge 1500. $1500 will get you a new ****ing paint job. I cringe. Because I actually know how much it cost to actually do the detail. That's pure robbery. The only thing that is costing him is time. That's where efficiency is coming to play. Please if you have something more to say about prices, show me your clients list for this week how much business do you generate for this week? Tell me how $500 + is going get you business.

I will tell you this much. Body shops are a hit and miss. My buddy owns his own shop and they do a decent job. No holograms no swirls no bs. I would see if you could take a look at their work. See if they were to warranty their service. Do some research on the business. Don't ask somebody that they have no clue on who owns the business and how they run it. Also their quality of work.
Xavier. You dont know me personally and i can very confidently say that you have NO ****ING IDEA how much i know about running a business.

Youve "owned" your own business for what, a year now? The reason I dont charge 250 for a 2 step or even for a 1 step for that manner is because if it did, id make LESS an hour than i do at my DAY job- which would make it NOT worth my time. And i still charge way less than established pros.

PS. That "guy" in Atlanta was rated #9 in AUTOWEEK MAGAZINE as one of the country's best detailers. He stays busy because he has established himself "worth" what he charges- THAT is how you run a business. You can "laugh" at him all you want, but he makes more in a day than you do in a week. 1500 isnt robbery when you spent 25 hours on 1 car, which he states is about the minimum amount of time he spends on 2 steps. Thats 60 an hour which is very standard for paint correction rates.

Im not saying you cant find someone to do a decent job for 250, im just saying it would be SUPER rare and would most likely be a person, not a business.

Since you know so much about business, lets talk about 250 for a 2 step correction...
A PROPER 2 step is going to take 15-20 hours min. If a business paid their "detailer" 10 dollars an hour (which is crap) for that amount of time, it would COST the business 200 dollars in LABOR- thats before you factor in the cost of product and utilities. What YOU need to understand is that not every detailing business is one guy detailing, its a business with employees, rent, fixed expenses, insurance. So they have to pay all of that, AND clear a profit. When you consider the cost of having a location- prices change.​

So, again, ill stick with my original statement and say that in ANY part of the country from a reputable detailer, its going to cost 700+ for a REAL 2 step or "full" correction. If they spend less than 10 hours doing it and it costs less the odds are very good that they are NOT performing proper paint correction.

PS. I dont try to sound smart. I know what the **** im talking about.

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

I can tell you this from experience. It's takes WAY less time to use a rotary if you know how to use it properly.
I never said it took longer to use a rotary, i said it took longer to FINISH with a rotary properly. Cutting is obviously much faster.

Thats why a large majority of pros use DA's to at least finish, because the actin of the machine guarantees no holograms, which is extremely difficult to do with a rotary on all paint types.

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
I stick by my statement that you think your only a PRO if you charge that much. Which is not the case.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Dave at StreetDreams in your neck of the woods charges 595+ for a 1-2 step. What he says takes 12-14 hours and 60-70% correction rate.

For a full correction he charges 895+ for what he says takes 18-25 hours.

Cheapest ive found so far from an established name.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

I stick by my statement that you think your only a PRO if you charge that much. Which is not the case.
Thats why i dont charge that much. But i do take longer to detail than some people because i want to feel good about charging what i do, i want the customer to feel as though they got their money's worth.

My "official" starting price on a 1 step is 350, it usually runs over 400 though. Which IMO, is priced well. Its enough that im compensated well for my time, but its significantly less than what the "Pros" charge.

Its all about the result you produce really, good results take time, time is money.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

I did alot of research on pricing when i finalized mine. I promise im not pulling that 700 number out of my ass. If you found a place that did credible work, 2 steps, 18+ hours for 700, it would be a pretty damn good deal lol.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Im gonna post of pics later of that camry i worked on. I didnt have any final pictures because i was under time constraint, but i have some good before/afters of the polishing process and wash/decon.

Really diggin my new camera, i need to learn more about how to use the adjustments tho. Auto works well for now though.

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
Some of you really need to do some growing up. This is flat out ridiculous. I'm sick of this section having these types of problems because of members who can't control themselves. It's simple guys. This section is for detailing, not how you feel about someone you probably haven't ever met, keep it that way or leave.

Any replies to this post here will be deleted. If you have issue with something, PM a moderator.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Used Optimum No Rinse today to wash for the first time. I'm fairly impressed. Nothing spectacular but it did it's job.

Car had been in garage for storage all winter and was covered in dust, daily broke down so I only had time to do a quick wash before heading back to Chicago.

I did expect the water to feel more "smooth" sort of like when you get quick detailer on your hands if that makes sense.

15741 - 15760 of 17707 Posts