Modded Mustang Forums banner

16961 - 16980 of 17709 Posts

·
It'll buff out...
5,379 Posts
Yeah I remember that. I keep a log of each time he pops in here under my pillow. I remember him saying he got really involved in detailing and then something went wrong and he had to pull out. Hope he comes back

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Ordered a bunch of stuffs from t. Forgot some stuff so called in, he was really nice and set me up right away. I can use a 3.5" backing plate on my six inch griots correct? It'll help out with corrections so much

·
Feb '14 ROTM
7,253 Posts
So I used Mothers tire and wheel cleaner. Idk if my wheels are suppose to look like this... The tires didn't look like this before. I am gonna go pick up some Mothers back to black tire spray and also tire shine.

Are they just faded from being used and the lighter color is where the dirt was taken off?

I am a complete noob at this stuff lol.

·
Feb '14 ROTM
7,253 Posts
Yeah, the Mothers foam stuff. I agree it looks like **** lol.

Tire gel?

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Just looked it up lol. What about Mothers tire renew?

Also, can that tire gel be bought over the counter? Kind of need it ASAP.

·
Like A Boss
18,927 Posts
Sorry for being rude, lmao. Just look for something that says gel or something like that. It'll be thicker than your run of the mill tire shine.

According to the "Son1c synopsis", its a pretty good product, but "Son1c Synopsis" means next to nothing to me. I'd say give it a whirl if you're in dire need.

·
It'll buff out...
5,379 Posts
Okay, your tires don't look 100% clean, mothers wheel and tire cleaner may not have enough bite to fully clean the tires effectively. Try an all purpose cleaner or degreaser. You can find Zep purple degreaser or Zep 505 all purpose cleaner. Fantastic products for tires and undercarriage, if you get the purple dilute it 1:3 with water and wear a mask if you have one. You don't want to breathe that stuff lol. But it will ensure a 100% clean surface each time, modded has nothing but good things to say about 505.

What kind of brush are you using to agitate the product on the tire? I use a soft face wheel brush or sometimes a very stiff tire specific brush to get them 100% clean, because if they aren't spotless the tire gel won't fully soak in. Don't use a tire spray unless you link ugly black silicone sling all over your side panels. Even a cheap over the counter tire gel will sling. I recommend optimum optibond. It's not crazy expensive and a little goes a long way. It's water based and can be used on plastic and rubber trim also. Trust me when I say if you buy the 32oz you'll have tire shine for at least a year. But if you need over the counter get me guides endurance gel, I believe it's oil or silicone based, so it will sling depending on how thick you lay it on so be aware of that. It does look good though.

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Also just to add, if you rarely clean your tires or have never used a tire shine product the tires will look crazy dry, I've never seen tires appear like yours just from being dried out though, which is why I think you need a stronger cleaner.

·
It'll buff out...
5,379 Posts
Wow, made an order yesterday, it's here this morning. Gotta love FedEx. Super pumped got a lot of good stuff. More BSD, a gallon of maxisuds 2, horsehair interior brush, interior brush, Ultima interior shampoo gel, 3.5" backing plate, 4" buff n shine pads, 5 new ultra soft towels, aaaaand can't remember the rest. Pics when I get home!
Oh yeah and the big can of tarminator, I've had globs of tar on my car for months, gonna see if tarminator can erase them.

·
Registered
303 Posts
So here is my project car! It hasn't been driven in 10 years! Has a hardtop but originally it is a ragtop which I found in the trunk. time to get it running and some restoration! No detailing yet but will be getting started on it soon. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, this is a 1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500.

16961 - 16980 of 17709 Posts