Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
5.Slow Driver
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have around 20k miles and it seems my diff doesn't work worth a ****. I had some sticky Nitto NT05s in 315/35/20 size and ran them till they were worn out with some drag strip passes, and hard driving. Just switched to 275/35/20 Mickey Thompson Street comps and they aren't as sticky. Usually only spin the right rear unless I'm turning left and incan break both loose. What diffs are y'all running for a good multi use lockup? I want something that locks both tires completely upon acceleration...

·
Want Camels?
1,041 Posts
I am running on stock diff, but the setup I have in my sig kills any wheel spin I have, but I still didn't mod the engine

·
5.Slow Driver
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically, I went to play today and slide my car around and learn the balance of it sliding. Turning left and loading the right rear tire makes it slide great and drift in 1+2+3 gears, turning right unloads the right tire and it just spins by itself.. need it to act the same both ways.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Basically, I went to play today and slide my car around and learn the balance of it sliding. Turning left and loading the right rear tire makes it slide great and drift in 1+2+3 gears, turning right unloads the right tire and it just spins by itself.. need it to act the same both ways.
what your trying to do (ie. drifting/etc) is a no-no for any diff.

the only thing that will last is a full spool which isn't really an option.

your best & cheapest solution is to just put new clutches in the factory diff & keep it maintained with new clutches/spider gears pretty much every year.

the basic function of any differental makes it very side load unfriendly & they all will break eventually when being slid sideways underpower.

any type other than a clutch type (ie. any kind of gear diff or locker) wouln't wear out , they will just break & you'll be stuck replacing a 500.00 plus diff on a regular basis which is why it's easier & cheaper to stick with the oem trac lock (as long as you maintain it) if a full spool isn't an option.

·
5.Slow Driver
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah not looking for a full spool. Was looking at the window sticker and I got the 3.73 limited slip option. That's the regular gt clutch type and not the boss one right. (Yes I know its a stupid question but figured I'd ask.) I don't do that activity much but I do have some friends that compete professionally in Houston Texas and they have asked me a few times to bring the car out and play. I wanted to get some practice in on a remote location before I looked like a retard. A full spool is too radical because its a dd, are there any clutch upgrades for the factory diff to make it a little stronger and slip less?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Yeah not looking for a full spool. Was looking at the window sticker and I got the 3.73 limited slip option. That's the regular gt clutch type and not the boss one right. (Yes I know its a stupid question but figured I'd ask.) I don't do that activity much but I do have some friends that compete professionally in Houston Texas and they have asked me a few times to bring the car out and play. I wanted to get some practice in on a remote location before I looked like a retard. A full spool is too radical because its a dd, are there any clutch upgrades for the factory diff to make it a little stronger and slip less?
you can use the carbon fiber clutch kit & it will hold up a little better.

Ford Racing Mustang Traction-Lok Rebuild Kit 8.8 (86-13) M-4700-C at LRS - Free Shipping!

that by far is your best option since it's a d/d, you can replace the clutches in about an hour & it will keep the diff working as it should plus if there is wear because of the side loads of what your doing (even casually) it will show in the clutches first.

·
5.Slow Driver
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i was looking at those earlier. Might try that first, then if i dont like it ill get that e locker thats limited slip when unlocked. Pricy but its the best of both worlds

1 - 7 of 7 Posts