Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm wired up with a narrowband gauge and I'd like to install a wideband instead. As I understand it, the factory computer still needs the narrowband, so installing the wideband is IN ADDITION TO, rather than REPLACEMENT OF what's currently installed. That said, I believe my headers are already plumbed with an extra bung in them, so I don't think I need to drill out new ones (See pics below as needed). I believe all I need is two sensors to plumb into the bungs and a new gauge to wire them up to, but I don't know what parts to get. I also don't understand how the gauge would get a reading from both sensors and display it as a single value - does it take the MIN/MAX of the two, does it average the two, does it only need to be wired into one, etc.?

Could someone please provide me either a specific part number that they've used, or a part type so I know what to call and ask for at Summit/JEGS/etc.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Narrowband guage on the bottom of the A-pillar gauge pod:

Header showing unused bungs (factory sensors are on the insde of the two):

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Standard wideband only uses one sensor. FAST has a setup that reads two, but replaces your narrows and sends a narrow signal to the computer still. Maybe the dude that had the headers before either ran two kits, or just had it so he could switch banks if he wanted.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Im curious as well..

I thought the wide band would just display a reading on a gauge ..... are you saying it gets hooked up to the cars computer as well ?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Im curious as well..

I thought the wide band would just display a reading on a gauge ..... are you saying it gets hooked up to the cars computer as well ?
I think he's referring to the o2 sensors. Which are narrow band on our cars

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Throw your narrow band in the trash, don't buy an innovate. I've owned mine for over a year with maybe 6 months of actual use and already replaced the sensor once. Aem ftw!

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I'll blame whoever wants to hear it lulz. They suck. It constantly shuts off or needs recalibrating. MY old fox had an aem that was awsome. Had it for years, then 93hatch used it. We put an aem in all the cars we have. Tried the innovate because of all the talk I hear. Quality is crap, wiring length sucks, and customer service is garbage. Awful product based on nothing but experience.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I see how you are..... Hahahhahha. Only two other guys that I know of have the MTX-L like me, (the rest have lm1's) so far no complaints, but they did get them last season. Sadly, mine hasn't been in use yet as my car hasn't run in a while. On a brighter note, I have hear/read good things about the AEM unit. If this one craps out, AEM for me too, hahahahha

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the response and the product reviews. Does anyone know what parts I'd need to do this, rather than buying a kit? For instance, I imagine I'd need one sensor, some wire, and a gauge...right? Since I'd like to replace my narrowband gauge, which is 1 5/8", I'd be looking for a similar sized wideband gauge. Is it that easy? One sensor, some wire, and a new gauge??

If so, which sensor do I get? I saw a mention of a Bosch VW brand?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the wide band phantom Auto meter gauge in my car works great...
Helps me trouble shoot fuel issues.. my car is running rich right now..
I plan on installing another in the exhaust so i can watch both banks..
If you dont hook it up correctly you will mess the sensor up and burn up the gauge
The meter CANT be hooked up to the switch power..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts