Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, well I know there are threads on how to do the swaps and all, but I get lost in them all the time. So Im going to make my own and hopefully not get e-raped.:)

4cyl to 5l swap.

I have the rad, motor, trans, diff, exhaust, trans member.

This is going to be a CARB car, what else do I need to complete it?

·
Registered
496 Posts
your going to need to change your fuel sender in the tank, motor mounts driveshaft, carb intake ingiton box

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, what do you mean fuel sender? Can I run the stock pump and run a regulator?
Also, the car was origionally a 4cyl AOD, im running a 5l AOD now, does anyone know if the driveshaft will be the right length?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Fuel sender is what sends the signal to the Fuel gauge. I think you can run stock pump but not so sure about the regulator. and i think you might have to switch the drive shaft.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, so I need

5l fuel sender.

Need to find out if driveshaft will work, and a regulator.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
4 banger t5 can be used but will require you to change out the pilot bearing to one from a 1984 ranger with the diesel 4-spd.

4cyl cars have different front struts, calipers, spindles, brake hoses, brake hose brakets, and a different master cylinder. Your going to want to upgrade all of these or pull from a donor 5.0 car for optimum braking and also the rear flex brake hose off the 4 banger 7.5" rear mounts on the passengers side, while the 8.8" rear mounts on the drivers side. So you'll have to bend some brake lines.

Four banger springs are a bit too soft all the way around for a 5L so you'll have to swap them out as well for stock v8 springs or a set to your liking.

Other small **** off the top of my head would be a v8 bell housing, clutch cable, throttle cable, heater hoses, radiator hoses, new fan... also the steering wrack is different from 4 bangers to v8's but you can use the 4 banger with no issues just the v8 version is better.

bout all I can remember it's been a while since i've touched one but good luck

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im using an AOD not a T5, just to clear things up. To much work for me to do a 3 pedal set-up. But the AOD I have is a 5l one, not a 4cyl one.

I got a 5lmotor, rad, trans, diff, exhaust and trans member. What else do I need? The fuel sending unit, possibly a regulator and ??

·
Registered
496 Posts
you need a fuel sender from a carb'd car that way the pick up is on the bottom of the tank and has no spot for a fuel pump, then i just used the fuel pump on the engine, ive since got rid of that car tho

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what do you think I should grab a sender from than? 4 Eye Fox? And than ditch the electric pump all together and just run a mechanical?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts