Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to rebuild my engine when I come back off deployment. I havent found an engine for a decent price and Most are already broken or have rod bearing problems. What do I really need for this 4.6 dohc engine to rebuild it?

What rods, pistons, bearing, gaskets, etc are good. Anyone have a list or already done this? WHat did you use. Thanks. Serious about getting these parts as soon as I am out at sea. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
are you going for boost or na? I wanna here what other people suggest for boost and N/A. My car is going to be under the knife before to long. Im going to buy a second intake and heads to start porting and putting togethor. Look threw these guys and check out there alum. intake for $1200...http://www.modularmustangracing.com/prod_dohc.htm i wants

·
Registered
424 Posts
align bore, and don't overbore unless you HAVE to.

the only weak spot in teksid blocks are flex in the cylinder walls. John Mihovetz recommends a max of .006 overbore.

·
Registered
111 Posts
are you going for boost or na? I wanna here what other people suggest for boost and N/A. My car is going to be under the knife before to long. Im going to buy a second intake and heads to start porting and putting togethor. Look threw these guys and check out there alum. intake for $1200...DOHC Engine Components i wants

My opinion is boosting the the cheapest way to build power while maintaining driveablity.

My Cobra isnt my DD since i live in kansas and the weather is snow one day, ,90 degrees the next. But it could be. Im putting down almost 450 RWHP running 9 lbs of boost. To get the much HP, you would need some serious performance work, cams, and an agressive tune, and your driveablity would suffer.

Go forged, alteast on the rods and pistons, use Fel-Pro MLS Gaskets, Head Studs, and Header locks, ABSOLUTELY UPGRADE THE OIL PUMP, and have your heads and valves checked out while the engine is apart.

My two cents any way

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
im going to spend as much as the wife will let me. I will probably stick with the stock cams, crank. I thought our oil pumps were fine for the 400hp range?

·
Registered
111 Posts
im going to spend as much as the wife will let me. I will probably stick with the stock cams, crank. I thought our oil pumps were fine for the 400hp range?
I have read conflicting information on the oil pumps, and upgradeing just the gears with billiet gears, or the pump itself.

I only recommend it, because i bought my cobra boosted, on stock pump, and seconds before i spun a bearing, my oil pressure flatlined.

For the 150 or so MMR charges for an oil pump they use on engine up to 2k HP, i recommend changing it while you already have the motor apart.

Just my opinion

Reactions: '97'Cobra

·
Registered
424 Posts
an ATI balancer will make the stock oil pumps last.

If you cheap out and use the stock balancer, you will have shattered pump gears if they are not billett.

Reactions: '97'Cobra

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
There is no hp limit on oil pumps as a 300rwhp 7000rpm engine needs no more oil than a 700rwhp engine at 7000rpm.

A melling pump is a good replacement for the stocker but he stock cobra pumps are adequate.

Head studs are a waste of money unless you plan to push more tha 20psi boost or disassemble the engine often.

are you going for boost or na? I wanna here what other people suggest for boost and N/A. My car is going to be under the knife before to long. Im going to buy a second intake and heads to start porting and putting togethor. Look threw these guys and check out there alum. intake for $1200...http://www.modularmustangracing.com/prod_dohc.htm i wants
that intake is pretty but a short runner will make more power and cost less than half as much.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
good to know about the oil pump.

That alum. intake is sweet and i have heard good things about it but i probably wont be able to afford it with the rebuild

1 - 11 of 11 Posts