Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering selling my 02 gt =(. I'm going to be starting school again soon and it's a 60 mile round trip, a quarter tank or gas. I just calculated my gas from
November 1st til now and it's $400. I get 170 miles with a quarter tank left then throw in 3x.xx til it's full. That number makes me disgusted. I know I fill up a lot but didn't think it was that much and honestly it will probably go up with the commute to school. Ill have to switch positions at work because I work morning an all classes are in the am so I will end up making less because less hours.

Here is what it is:
2002 mustang gt
86xxx miles on body
27xxx miles on reman motor.
3.73 frpp gears, trickflow tb and upper plenum, Mac prochamber, slp lm1s, bama tuner, black staggered bullitts, am cai, tokico shocks, frpp c lowering springs an that's it I think.
Automatic with leather. Clean title no accidents

Kbb says 6100 on trade 7000 private party.

Does the newer motor increase the value at all? Can I be like yeah it's got 86xxx on the body but only 27xxx on motor an that's the biggest component.

I hate to get rid of it but its just a money pit and about to go up. I got a lot into it and currently paying my parents back for the motor we had to repair. I know ill probably lose my ass a little but I want to get the most I can for it. I would love to keep it but its just costing to much.

I know my parents would probably let me stop paying them so I can take out a loan out for a beater but I don't want to buy something junk and it be problems. I'm sure I could just put it on blocks in the backyard but I just want to pay them back ASAP so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

So if you don't wanna read all that just get straight to the point how much could I get about on a trade in or what should I try to sell it for without taking a big hit?

Attachments

·
Torchin tires...
2,206 Posts
You're much better off selling it as a private sale. If you trade it in you will be royally raped by a dealership. They'll probably give you 4000 for it, and you'll see it the next day on the lot for 9. Where are you located? If you are selling the car, id be really interested in your LM1 catback. I can give you my flowmasters + a little cash to make it worth your while. Im in MA, so any of the surrounding states wouldn't be a problem.

With all being said Id say you can get 6-7k easily for your car (if it was a 5-speed it would be more), granted it runs good and the condition isnt too bad.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you Mustang may have to go! However, you're making a smart decision with School and you can always get another Stang later.

When selling a modified Mustang your best bet is Private sale. If you go for trade in they may not give you even close to what your Pony is worth! I mean you can call around and get a couple quotes for some dealers etc.. But I would recommend going Private sale!

Best of luck with the Sale!

-Dan

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mellis it's not a cat back they are just welded in. I am
Located in Florida. I really hate to get rid of it, I'm angry just considering it. I love driving it everyday but its just costing me. I'm looking on autotrader and there is nothing that sparks any interest to me. I always liked the mustang, trans ams, camaros, and gtos. Power but not great mpg. Yeah I know the whole dealership thing. What erks my nerve is I'm looking and the prices are all over the place. I see some at dealers with more miles than mine trying 10-11k it's like no way. I just don't want to waste my time at dealerships because I already know they won't give me nothing. I just don't want to lose my ass to bad **** I don't even want to get rid of it but I may have to. I just need to see what I can work out.

·
Torchin tires...
2,206 Posts
Mellis it's not a cat back they are just welded in.

Oh ok thanks anyways :) Yeah dealerships are a royal ripoff. I paid 10k even for my supercharged GT 5 speed, gears, all leather, 67k miles, etc... Would have been 15-16 at a dealership

·
Thrbfirs..... Meat Eggs
4,398 Posts
Take a look around for some cheap/economical cars and park the mustang? I got rid of a car I LOVED (2006 chrysler 300c SRT8) because it was costing me an arm and a leg to commute to work (50 miles round trip, stop and go traffic both ways) for a 2004 Scion xB. Went from 14mpg premium to 31mpg regular. Yeah, It's not the car I want, but its the best for the situation right now.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I want to try and do first. Have a dd and have the Stang in the backyard on blocks an start it up every once in awhile. My wants just need not to overcome my needs which they are as if right now. I like the roar and the looks and the power but just might have to sacrifice that now.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I'd say you'd get $5-$6k here in Florida if it's clean. Maybe more if you find the right person.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Do you plan on buying a car from a private party after you sell yours or do you plan to finance it from a dealership? Because I can tell you from experience if you finance another car you will have a monthly car payment plus all the other stuff (fuel, insurance, maint. etc) for the new one as well. Which in reality will be more expensive then keeping what you have now with no monthly payment even with the offset of better mpg. (assuming you don't have a montly payment currently) I vote for finding a stock rear end with 3.27's and just swapping the whole thing and keep the 3.73 geared axle in th garage for when you are done with school. I have the almost exact same setup(02 GT with auto and 3.27's) and can tell you I get between 70-75 miles per quarter tank and I drive up the Cajon Pass (15 fwy) in California everyday to the high desert. That with an average speed of 70-80 MPH uphill and 72.5 miles round trip. So something is killing your MPG. I suspect its the gears mostly. How much a month are you paying your parents vs how much a month will it be for the gas saver you are looking for. You really need to calculate what is your trip cost currently and what you project it to be after you get something new. Unless you are doubling your MPG's it ain't worth it.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
170 miles on a quarter tank? I think I get that if I have a full tank lmao

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shaun usually i fill up at a quarter of a tank. Once the needle hits the quarter mark I've driven 170 miles. The gears didn't change my mpgs at all. Since I bought the car I've always gotten 17-18 and after gear swap I'm still getting 17-18.

I pay my parents 250 a month. But I'm sure they will let me pay them like 100 it so and with the extra 150 I can find a car and make a payment with that 150 for a few years or so. If I barely drive the Stang I would save a lot on gas even if I filled it up 2-3 times a month. And use the other car as the daily driver to school and what not. But taking the mustang to school will make gas even higher. I could even just park the Stang so u won't have to pay insurance save 150 right there.

·
4POINT6
429 Posts
Must be the location but they sell all day long here in NH for 10k. I paid $9500 for my 04 gt. 100% stock with 70k on it.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I dont know your money situation as far as paying your parents back, but I would personally try to find a 4 cyl ranger or some other beater for 500-1000, if you can do some mechanical work yourself, make sure the engine and tranny are decent, anything else is relatively easy to work with

·
4POINT6
429 Posts
Exactly what I did. 99 Mazda protege for $900 and gets 30mpg. Mustang is the weekend getaway :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah that's what I'm looking for but even older civics and s10s and rangers they still want to much for the mileage. I can do some work myself. The basics.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts