Modded Mustang Forums banner

What do you like and what do you not like about your 3.7 Mustang?

2K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  FiK 
#1 ·
Pro's: Strong motor, decent gas mileage, smooth transmission, killer looks, great out of the box performance, insane brakes (Perf. Pkg), live axle (love it).

A couple more pro's

Now on to my most important, the con's:

Not good enough gas mileage (Average 20-24 rural highways), a little sloppy in the twisties, stock steering wheel, interior controls (knobs, etc), lack of adjust-ability with the seats (especially the passenger), no spare, stock ride height (fixed), SHITTY PLASTIC TRIM, 8.5 +50 wheels are tucked like crazy. Cup holder position.

The seats need greater adjust-ability, the passenger seat is like sitting on the floor board.

The steering wheel is horrible, thin and cheap. Fixed with a GT500 wheel.

Stock ride height is awful. Fixed with Koni's and H&R SS.

Interior controls are cluttered and require you to look.

I cannot drive the manual properly with drinks in the cup holder.

I hate the washer spray how many times the wipers wipe...

Lack of a user interface like VW/ Audi.

The freaking cheap ass plastic on the outside. Err... It already looks gray after two months. I am going to have to tape the entire car and paint them.

That being said. I freaking love my Mustang. I have owned some badass rides, but the Mustang is just raw enjoyment. The simpler things.

Most of these issues are easily fixed, minus the trim, dash and display.

See less See more
#2 ·
PRO'S: Body style, MPG's, Power

CON's:

My main peeve is the cup holder position as well. The first time i test drove one, i knew that would be a problem.

Im not very satisfied with overall acceleration, but dropping some 3.73's in about a month to fix that problem

10 second button to turn advanctrak off

#5 ·
I don't drink in my car often, so I do not mind the cup holder much. Obviously, the slightest variation in this behavior makes it an obvious annoyance.

And not to pick at everything you said Alexander... But that's exactly what I'm going to do. :D

The seats need greater adjust-ability, the passenger seat is like sitting on the floor board.
I like it a lot closer to the floor than closer to the ceiling.

The steering wheel is horrible, thin and cheap. Fixed with a GT500 wheel.
Don't mind it myself. Wouldn't mind it thinner even.

Interior controls are cluttered and require you to look.
I've actually dimmed my interior lights to the point they're nearly useless, and have 90% of the switches memorized by feel. Not bragging, just where I've come to with this situation. It was very uncomfortable and had to do a lot of locating-for-the-fifth-time, but now that I know where things are, it works.

I cannot drive the manual properly with drinks in the cup holder.
Agreed.

I hate the washer spray how many times the wipers wipe...
I actually love this. Does a thorough job wiping away the fluid, I don't have to come back behind it if I'm not driving at transonic.

Lack of a user interface like VW/ Audi.
Agree.
How about the lack of light for the backseats, too? I know it's not a daily issue, but I was particularly irked when I realized I needed to use my phone as a minimaglight to search around back there.

Also, almost completely irrelevant consumer opinion, but I'd love it if the rear sears were deleted in design and some 500lbs were taken out of the chassis subsequently. Oldschool-style 2-seat muscle coupe ftw.

#6 ·
I use my cupholders enough to were i get annoyed by them. However, 80% of the time i use them for my wallet and cell phone.

I agree, back seat is pretty useless..... i mean.... who can actually fit back there! I like that they are deep buckets though.

Never thought one way or another about the steering wheel.... wouldnt mind a leather wrapped one though.

I too have the console controls memorized.

Stock, regular 17'"s are gay.... changing mine today :)

#7 ·
Y'know what else bothers me - what the hell is with this suspension setup?

So, (05-10) GT500 strut mounts are required to fit previous gen (05-10) front struts to our chassis.. Okay, that's your typical ghettorig apparatus. But why in the hell are the new struts between all cars out in their own little world? Both incompatible with the GT500 strut mounts and mounted with some plastic that can't survive a second install (of the stock struts)? Okay, so maybe you're trying to keep people from aftermarketing their equipment and reinstalling the stock parts when they break, to claim defect... Why make a new form factor when you could just, y'know, make PLASTIC GT500 mounts and struts that will fit them?! FUUUUUUU-

Currently on hold with my H&R SS's for current gen struts to release - For either price drop or incompatibility with the springs to force me to go with old struts/mounts... Or I'll upgrade with series-specific equipment. Will have arms, relocation bracket and, well, front strut mounts to go with 'em, so I can bang 'em all out in one go.

#9 ·
Reflections:
I never had that issue with the struts. Is that a V6 thing? Performance Package has GT suspension along with GT500 strut mounts, LCA's, and trailing arms.

I too use the cup holder 90% for my wallet and phone, but having a drink in there renders performance driving impossible.

Back seats are actually very light. I am going to reinstall mine, they are so light. ~20 lbs, plus they dampen sound a lot.

Proper seating position:
Your back should be straight with the buttock squished all the way back into the seat.

Your wrist should be on top of the steering wheel when you stretch your arms straight forward with a little bend left.

Your legs you should be able to completely push down the clutch and still not have your leg fully bend maybe 120 degrees of bend.

General rule of thumb is to have one fist on top of your head and touching the head liner. My seat is all the way down and it is like that without a helmet. So with a helmet I am a little too tall. 6'2" with a 6'3" torso...

#11 ·
Alex - I have a PP as well. Mind you, what I've said is based off of several posts on three different forums of people saying they've broken the stock ones, from V6 to GT.

I'll take a look under the hood tomorrow, should have already just been under an odd schedule this past week. If the strut mounts are metallic GT500 ones stock on our PP... well, ****, I feel like a fool.

Here's what I've always read as the list of features that come with the PP:
* A 3.31 rear axle ratio for quicker off-the-line acceleration
* Mustang GT coupe front and rear stabilizer bars
* Mustang GT front struts and rear shocks/springs
* Shelby GT500 rear lower control arm
* Unique 19-inch wheels
* Pirelli performance tires for improved grip
* Mustang GT front and rear brake calipers with Performance Friction pads
* A strut tower brace for increased body rigidity
* Unique electronic stability control calibration with Sport mode for performance driving
* Unique badging
No mention of a different strut mount, hence my assumption it was the same as others. ... Meh, guess I can only be happy if that means I save myself a back or two on the plate.

#12 ·
Alex - I have a PP as well. Mind you, what I've said is based off of several posts on three different forums of people saying they've broken the stock ones, from V6 to GT.

I'll take a look under the hood tomorrow, should have already just been under an odd schedule this past week. If the strut mounts are metallic GT500 ones stock on our PP... well, ****, I feel like a fool.

Here's what I've always read as the list of features that come with the PP:

No mention of a different strut mount, hence my assumption it was the same as others. ... Meh, guess I can only be happy if that means I save myself a back or two on the plate.
I honest can not remember if they were plastic or not. There was one plastic piece by the strut mount, but I cannot recall.

How do they break? I installed springs twice. Once with stock struts and H&R's the other time with Koni's and H&R's.

#13 · (Edited)
If they are plastic, they're the most metal-like plastic I've ever felt. I'll research a bit more later, I'm going to need to get a catnap in atm.

Not sure exactly how they break, but I gather that they require complete replacement. Which in turn forced modders into buying new struts, to go with their new strut mounts, since the stock struts aren't compatible with mounts avail on market.

[edit]Came across this, kinda interesting. Nice to understand why there's a difference between the 05-10 and 11+ struts: 1.5" of strut shank, in the 2011 CC plate install instructions.
2005-10:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...d=1151&zenid=c6de49f21f547483e5c1e87391278fe4
2011+ :
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...d=1400&zenid=c6de49f21f547483e5c1e87391278fe4

Kinda weird though... If we used 2011 designed springs on our front suspension, wouldn't that mean the springs would be designed for that 1.5" length difference? Thus, if they were genuinely designed for 2011 applications, they'd be 1.5" shorter, resulting in additional drop (on 05-10 struts)? Makes me question if these H&R 2011 SS springs would actually even be compatible with 2011 struts.
There's always a (really) good chance the strut was extended by the same length. Calling H&R 'CUZ I CAN doubt I'll get a definite answer. Ain't open yet. I quit.

#14 ·
Pros:
MPG, Power, sexy looks, and the premium package
I know it adds extra weight but I love my heated leather seats. Lol. Plus the rear camera comes in handy and gives a more aggressive look to the spoiler.
Oh and Sync FTW!

Cons:
Shitty gear ratio, dash is too busy, no easy interchangeability of the radio, and all that stupid plastic on the outside.

#24 ·
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forum...do-your-3-7-mustang-today-42.html#post3686302

To elaborate, I'd consider new struts and the ($80, though you can probably find them on ebay and the like cheaper) mounts to go with it. Later down the road, you could buy some LCAs and they should mute out what should only be a tiny bit of rear frogginess.

Going back to main subject for a sec.

Another big negative for me: The seats do not recline all the way. When I first sat in the car, I tested this, and when they stopped short of where I felt they should, I immediately thought of that idiot who got ejected from a Hyundai for lounging so far back the seatbelt did not make contact while she was driving. After surviving her vehicle collision, she sued Hyundai for not saying that the seatbelt wouldn't function, if say, it wasn't ****ing holding her against the seat. And at the moment, I wished she had died instead.

Spent a dozen nights in hotels where I could and, in a few instances, much rather would have passed out in my 'stang. Even still, I keep thinking every now and then I want to replace the seats just for that ability. But the stock ones are really nice as they are, and the height adjust makes me happy. And I think that'd look mistakenly ricey on my part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.