Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Power In The Hands of, Me
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is already a Super Charged Saleen, but felt the car needed a bit more than Saleen provided. What do you guys think of the build list so far? And is there anything you would do different, or add?

BMR k-member
LCA's
ARH L/T o/r x-pipe
20x9.5/10.5 Vossen CV3's with Nitto Invo's
6000k HID kit
#39 injectors
3.4" s/c pulley
s/c decklid
GT500 dual fuel pump
Meziere electric water pump
AFCO dual fan heat exchanger
AFCO dual radiator
Airaid CAI
spark plugs
Posi gears
3.5 Driveshaft and safety loop
MGW shifter
McLeod clutch and flywheel kit
BAER 2 piece drilled and slotted rotors front and rear
RingBrothers hood pins
Powder coated brake calipers, fuse box, brake reservoir, valve covers
Paint to match radiator cover
Paint to match 2010 mirrors
New tint
Pioneer 4400 7" touch screen

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
-I would get front A-arms with the K-member.
-I don't like the big wheels, I would stay with 18's.
-That also means no big brake kit. But you can upgrade pads and rotors, stainless lines and good fluid. And no drilled rotors, dimpled and/or slotted would be better.
-I don't think you will need a new radiator, once you put the electric H2O pump in your notor is going to run a bit cooler anyways.
-You already have a posi rear end.
-if your going to paint the radiator cover you might as well get the cover extensions and paint them too.
-Brisk Racing on the spark plugs

·
All sissies going to Hell!
5,818 Posts
I am all go and not too much show, so the touch screen isn't something I would do personally. But it is your car and do what you do.

I agree with my friend above me. If you do end up keeping the saleen rims, I would fit a nice 4 or 6 piston brake kit in there if you could.

As for the LT's I would go with Kooks if you could. The 4.6 loves them. But other than that, you are looking at some serious power increases.

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should have clarified. These parts are already bought and being installed. So there's no changing anything at this time. I hated the Shaker 500, and I love the look of the flat screen. It gets really hot in Charleston, with a ton of traffic. So I wanted the car to run as cool as possible. Not to mention the occasional track runs. The car is at 281 MotorSports being built, and the owner is known for his knowledge and work on Saleens. This is the list he recommended. I don't like big wheels either, but can't stand small ones also. The Saleens come stock with heavy chrome 20"s, so I decided to stay with 20"s, just go lighter. I think only the Extreme's come with posi, not the 435hp versions. I also already have the brake upgrade, but switching to the Baer d/s rotors. Because there is so much traffic where I live, there was no need to spend the way to much extra money for upgraded calipers, etc.
This is exactly what I was looking for with your responses. What current owners would do and not do. I was very unimpressed with the Saleens power, told Jason what I wanted from an every day driver, and this was his starting recommendations.
I am swapping the x to an h, and adding high flow cats as well. To cut down the raspy sound and smell of the exhaust. I also have a SCT tuner and the car will be dyno'd.
Thanks for your inputs so far. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I'd say the aerocatch instead of the ring brothers pins if its not to late

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Nice build list. Since you asked...my .02:

Brisk silver racing plugs
Eaton Detroit Tru-Trac rear end
DSS driveshaft
Add a Watt's link to your list - Whiteline looks sa-weet.
I prefer the Scott Drake hood pins myself.
I don't like drilled rotors like the Bear...consider PowerSlot - or Stop-Tech big brakes plus SS lines and good fluid
DO NOT buy the McLeod RST...get the RXT instead - and be sure to buy the matching McLeod flywheel...DO NOT use a GT flywheel even though McLeod says you can.

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too late. Wish I would have gone with a different company. I specifically told the woman on the phone what car they were for. She explained that they didn't have a complete gray kit, so mine would be mixed with gray and chrome. The kit received was actually gray and black, AND the main rod through the hood was a Universal, not for a Mustang. The kit had to be returned 3 times before they finally sent out the right colors and pins.
She had also said that when the rest of the gray parts to replace my chrome parts were in, they would contact me and send them out. They never contacted me, and took several emails from me, AND the shop, before they finally responded. Then that's when it took the 3 returns. Nice pins, but for the price, you would think they were a little more on the ball!

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

DSS driveshaft
I don't like drilled rotors like the Bear...consider PowerSlot - or Stop-Tech big brakes plus SS lines and good fluid
DO NOT buy the McLeod RST...get the RXT instead - and be sure to buy the matching McLeod flywheel...DO NOT use a GT flywheel even though McLeod says you can.
I have DynoTech driveshaft
HTO Autolite spark plugs
Eaton Trutrac Helical posi
Stop-Tech front d/s rotors front, Baer rear
It is the RST, "why not?" with McLeod lightened flywheel
What's a Watt's link?

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
I have DynoTech driveshaft
HTO Autolite spark plugs
Eaton Trutrac Helical posi
Stop-Tech front d/s rotors front, Baer rear
It is the RST, "why not?" with McLeod lightened flywheel
What's a Watt's link?
Dynotech is fine - as long as you get your pinon angle set at ~2.0-2.5 degrees. Otherwise it may vibrate.

AutoLite HT0's are fine, but they can break upon removal.

RST may be OK with a McLeod flywheel; mine is used with a re-surfaced GT flywheel (as approved my McLeod) and it sucks. Very hard to shift, and getting worse every day - especially when hot. I hate it. My whole clutch and OEM GT flywheel assembly was sent to McLeod before it was installed, and they inspected everything and set it up themselves - and it is still an epic fail.

Make SURE the clutch mates perfectly with your flywheel, with no overlap where the friction discs do not have flywheel to bit into.

The RST *may* be OK with a McLeod flywheel; the reason I recommended the RXT is because I have never heard of an issue with an RXT, but you can go on any Mustang forum and read lots of threads about the RST having issues.

Watt's link - keeps your rear axle centered when suspension is articulating much better than your current panhard bar:

Whiteline Complete Watts Link Rear Mustang Suspension (05-13 Coupe) KDT916 - Free Shipping!

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks DiMora!
Knowing how technical some of you guys are, is exactly why I posted this. Like I said, Jason is known for his touch with Saleens. I'm sure he wouldn't steer my wrong. Looks like I could have taken a few different routes on products, but she's almost finished now. I will check with him on the watt's link. He may not of mentioned it because I didn't give him a budget. I called and asked, in what order, would he build my car, for what I wanted to do. It seemed that everything was $500 or more, per part. So when the list got to where it is, I got nervous and stopped. haha. I still had to factor in install, and shipping! So that's where I am with it. I would love to do more, but I don't think dumping much more into it is worth it. Not to mention, I just signed on for another year overseas. So the car will primarily sit in my garage. Driven 3 weeks a year!

Thanks again guys for all the help. If there is anything else, without getting into the internals, you think would really help the car, AND won't cost an arm and a leg, haha, please let me know.

Anyone want to take a guess at what the HP will be? It started at 435hp before any of this was done.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
no problems with My RST and it took a beating.. the only thing that stands out is the upper control arm and you arent lowering it at all??? most of your HP gain in going to be from the added boost/fuel... what will your estimated boost be with the 3.4 pulley?

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no problems with My RST and it took a beating.. the only thing that stands out is the upper control arm and you arent lowering it at all??? most of your HP gain in going to be from the added boost/fuel... what will your estimated boost be with the 3.4 pulley?
No, I'm not lowering it. The wheels that are on there fill the well nicely, and if I go lower, I might rub. The estimated boost is 10 or 11 lbs if I remember right. The bigger injectors and fuel pump will add too, as you said. Plus all the cooling additions help hp as well. In parts, they don't do a lot. But as a whole, I'm hoping for some good gains!
So since I have LCA's, y'all say I need UCA's as well?

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
There is one upper control arm on the car; most replace it with an adjustable one when the car is lowered, but since you are not lowering you don't need one - unless your pinion angle is out of spec with your new driveshaft.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Grey I feel like you and me are the only people happy with our RSTs, all I've read is people hating

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did some research myself, after reading the DO NOT get a RST. It does seem a lot of people say to go RXT. Maybe because it's rated for higher hp?
I'm pretty much done with the car. Like I said, I don't see any point in dumping more money into it, unless I'm missing some little touches that would help with what's already being installed.
Still no guesses on my HP?

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Prob between 500-475, I have a saleen supercharger and thats what im at with that pulley.

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Prob between 500-475, I have a saleen supercharger and thats what im at with that pulley.

KMAC,
Do you also have the same fuel, cooling and air flow set up?
Would our cars be pretty comparable?
What I paid for parts and labor, I have to admit I'd be a little upset with only gaining 40hp! 435-475. :baller::baller::baller:
I was very unimpressed with the power the first time I drove it. Do you think, in your opinion, that with this build, I may be happy with the car? Keeping in mind that the previous shop that did the exhaust install, DID NOT tune the car afterwards. So it was running very rich, and I would imagine, it ran very slow!
If our cars are comparable. What are your track times?

I've always had some kind of "racer". Mustangs, Camaros, built Civic SIs, etc etc. What I'm getting at is, I know how to race, and a lot of people when asked that question of track times, always say it depends on the driver. I just like knowing about where I could stand is all. Thanks!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
+1 on the Mcleod info. The RST won't hold if you do much drag racing on sticky tires. Good info on the flywheel, too.

DSS driveshaft

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
I have the same injectors pulley and intake but Im running the saleen intercooler they have but Im unsure of what kind or its capacity., but Im only running a BAP since im at the limit on my motor I didnt bother putting pumps since idk what route im going when I build my motor. But what I would recommend with that pulley bead blast the ribs, I had slip with mine and just bead blasted it at my dads company, no slip.

·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I changed the intercooler, and swapped the new s/c decklid. Which is supposed to increase flow and hp. As I bought things on his recommended list, he would tell me what increased hp, and what increased motor failure, by percentages. So as I bought things that hurt, I would get something to counter it. That was the plan anyway. haha. Thanks for all the info. I'll check to see if Jason will bead blast the pulley too.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts