Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at some crate engines and some of them are neutrally balanced and some are externally balanced. Does that just mean externally has a harmonic balancer or something?

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
Im looking at some crate engines and some of them are neutrally balanced and some are externally balanced. Does that just mean externally has a harmonic balancer or something?
that is refering to the crank balence

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
not shure but i belive that
external used counter weights to balance it
and nutrally the crank is machined in a way that is balened.

but i am not shure on this so wait for other people to fill in.

·
Registered
218 Posts
pretty sure the newer stangs like 02 and up or something have the internal balanced crank, while like my 97 sixer has a harmonic balancer on the outside. just a diference in years.

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
no i do not belive that is true, i have a 2002 and a hermonic balencer, i do not belive that the 2 things r related

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
i think white was right with the machining of the crank to be balanced...

you might have to contact a machine shop if you can't get a solid answer here

·
Registered
788 Posts
i would say ask tom y about it, he was explaining to me about balanced crankchaft with my forged internals. if its not balanced, you need to find a shop to balance it? (not sure on the underlined part) i tried to find the email, but my email account deletes them when i close it.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
an internally balanced crank is more reliable and can spin to higher RPMs with out the risk of going kaboom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts