Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out the weak link of my setup. This is my ride:

1982 GT (t-top)
351w(.060),10:3, ported & polished iron heads, 1.94/1.60 valves, BBK shorties & flowmasters, 274XE cam, stealth intake, mallory dizzy, stealth intake, 750dp, Edge 3700 stall converter, C-4, 4:10's

The cam specs are: 274*/286*(230/236) .519/.523 110*LSA
The heads are '74 351w casting rebuilt with the larger valves intalled and mild port & polish work

My best run has been [email protected] with a 60' time of 1.67
I feel I should be trapping at 107-108mph. It runs STRONG for the first 1/8 mile and then seems to run out of steam. I'm going through the traps at 5600
What would really wake this combo up that would get me low 12's or high 11's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
82GT said:
I'm trying to figure out the weak link of my setup. This is my ride:

1982 GT (t-top)
351w(.060),10:3, ported & polished iron heads, 1.94/1.60 valves, BBK shorties & flowmasters, 274XE cam, stealth intake, mallory dizzy, stealth intake, 750dp, Edge 3700 stall converter, C-4, 4:10's

The cam specs are: 274*/286*(230/236) .519/.523 110*LSA
The heads are '74 351w casting rebuilt with the larger valves intalled and mild port & polish work

My best run has been [email protected] with a 60' time of 1.67
I feel I should be trapping at 107-108mph. It runs STRONG for the first 1/8 mile and then seems to run out of steam. I'm going through the traps at 5600
What would really wake this combo up that would get me low 12's or high 11's?
Most combo's include Fries and Soda. I didn't see those listed. Just screwing with you, I am not even close to your mods, so I can't help, but I am sure some folks will chime in and help you. Oh BTW, welcome to Modded Mustangs, and I hope you had a chance to go to the new members section and share pic and junk about your ride. Sounds like you have already invested some serious cash and time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
I think part of your issue is tire height and possibly the heads...what cc are the combustion chambers?...I am running the following:

351W=358ci (bored .030)
AFR 185s with 7/16 studs and 1.6 RR
KB Pistons 11.3:1 CR
MSD Pro Billet Dizzy
Hooker Long tubes
Edelbrock Super Victor Jr
Mighty Demon 825cfm
Crower Cam 282/288 .538/.557 112LS
CSR Elect Water pump
MSD 6AL
MSD 2 Step
Redneck Perfomance C4 w/transbrake

combination puts down 540 at 6500
4500 stall converter (Redneck Performance)
8.8 rear with 33 splines, FS, and 4.56 cogs
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,367 Posts
A good set of head will go a long way. I don't think there is much more to be gained with your stock heads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ProDetroit said:
With a C4 trans / 3700 stall and 4:10 gearing, how tall a tire are you running for the rear slicks?
\

I'm running 26x9x15 slicks. Would 27 or 28inch slick work better for me?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IcantDo55 said:
Have you put it on a dyno? There seems to be a HP loss in there somewhere. A good dyno tune will prob help you sort things out.
Unfortunatly, there are no dynos around my neck of the woods or , at least, none that I know of...
I figured out my % of converter slippage to be 4-5%, which is very good.
I just feel it's missing something like Icantdo55 suggested.
 

·
RIP Dennis
Joined
·
76,434 Posts
82GT said:
IcantDo55 said:
Have you put it on a dyno? There seems to be a HP loss in there somewhere. A good dyno tune will prob help you sort things out.
Unfortunatly, there are no dynos around my neck of the woods or , at least, none that I know of...
I figured out my % of converter slippage to be 4-5%, which is very good.
I just feel it's missing something like Icantdo55 suggested.
Where are you located...Maybe someone here might no of one...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
82GT said:
ProDetroit said:
With a C4 trans / 3700 stall and 4:10 gearing, how tall a tire are you running for the rear slicks?
\

I'm running 26x9x15 slicks. Would 27 or 28inch slick work better for me?
That depends on what your RPMs are when you go through the traps. Usually (and not always) you find stangs running a 26" tall tire with 3:73; but there are some that run a 4:10 with them as well. (28" /w 4:10/4:30)

In addition, with an auto trans your torque converter will play a role in the mathmatics too.

^ just my .02 cents
 

·
PSN alphadong11
Joined
·
28,936 Posts
I agree the heads are the weak link. a set of aftermarket aluminum heads will take weight off and flow alot beatter. if you wanted to risk it have them milled to keep your compression up. as many mods as you have I would say the heads are choking the monster.

also, do you have subframe conncters (the weld in type) I know the t-tops arnt as bad as the convertables but still a flex issue to get better footprint with you tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dr.gonzo said:
also, do you have subframe conncters (the weld in type) I know the t-tops arnt as bad as the convertables but still a flex issue to get better footprint with you tires.
Yep, I have them(welded) with the cross braces for the seats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
heads...tires are fine

also a better stall converter would benefit you hugely...torque converter is also like a torque multiplier
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
03svtsnakevert said:
heads...tires are fine

also a better stall converter would benefit you hugely...torque converter is also like a torque multiplier
:eek: A better converter! I already have an Edge 3700 stall converter and pull 1.67 60' times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
82GT said:
03svtsnakevert said:
heads...tires are fine

also a better stall converter would benefit you hugely...torque converter is also like a torque multiplier
:eek: A better converter! I already have an Edge 3700 stall converter and pull 1.67 60' times.
okay, but even though it is a 3700 where does the car stall??? the stall of the engine is also relative to the torque the engine makes

lower torque small blocks may not reach full stall of 3700 and may stall at only 3000 and high torque motors may surpass it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can footbrake it to 3100. I don't need more stall speed. This is also a street car. If I needed more stall, I would get a transbrake.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top