Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I'm Ridin A Coyote!!!!!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an OH **** moment today..... I was merging onto the highway, I go to downshift and rev match 2nd gear.....put it in gear.......BOG....

I put it in 4th instead of 2nd like the genius that is I.... The rpms ofcoarse went from 4k to 2k it felt horrible.

Now I don't smell burnt clutch or anything and all is ok....but i'm sure I decreased the life of some parts....

Anyway Merry Christmas to everyone!

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
Incidentally did that at the track. Hit second from the top of third instead if going to fourth. OOPS.

Needless to say I was installing a new clutch shortly thereafter lol

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Youre lucky the clutch slipped instead of it locking up the rear, happened to my buddies 07 gt causing him to slide off the road and take out 3 fence poles at our local miltiary base and nsa headquarters lol hed only had the car 30 days lol

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
Incidentally did that at the track. Hit second from the top of third instead if going to fourth. OOPS.

Needless to say I was installing a new clutch shortly thereafter lol

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
My mom did that once. Driving on a main road decided to play around with another car. 3rd to 1st. Lolgears. I yelled at her so badly for that lol

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
You're good. Bogging means your clutch didn't even slip. An over-rev would have been bad.

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
What's the actual proper way to downshift. Like clutch in, rev it up and let the clutch out at the same
Time?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
I used to try to get my mom to do burnouts in my old fox body lol
Lol. I always try to get my mom to do stupid **** in my car, but she always chickens out. She used to street race in the 70s and 80s. Now she's a total wimp.

What's the actual proper way to downshift. Like clutch in, rev it up and let the clutch out at the same
Time?

I clutch in, rev up, drop into gear. It's the fastest way, but you to can let the shifter linger at the gate until the trans revs up enough to engage.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Time?

Driver mod. LOL.

Just let the clutch out slowly as you downshift while simultaneously braking.

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
Well I was more along the lines of downshifting to get up and go!

·
I'm Ridin A Coyote!!!!!
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're good. Bogging means your clutch didn't even slip. An over-rev would have been bad.
That's the thing though.....the RPM's were high...and i put it in a low gear, then i applied the gas....and then BOG......

You know when you rev match 2nd and you hit the gas the instant it's in gear? I did that when i put it in gear...but it was in 4th instead of 2nd lol.

It was like an over revved UPSHIFT lol. Which should never happen AT ALL!!!

I'm an idiot... Car is still fine, but **** i never want to do that again. :bash:

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
If you are downshifting to go instead of slowing down, just floor it as your shifting, bouncing it off the rev limiter, and just dump the clutch.

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
Burton. Relax. It's fine. Bogging it doesn't obliterate it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts