Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was thrown out casually in a g35 thread discussing the pro's and con's over a vortec. When referring to the powercurve they point out that the "ignore" blips and spikes in the graph when assessing power. This doesn't sound good to me. Can these spikes be large? If so, what might happen to a stock s197 drivetrain if, say, a 20 hp spike hits when you're under full boost and maximum load? Also, are they actual spikes, sensor glitches, or software errors?

HKS Rotrex vs. Vortech Centrifugal Differences - G35Driver

"Actually, the vortech dyno i did calculations on was at 408whp. These calculations were done from 3k rpms to redline. The horsepower and torque numbers were taken at 100rpm intervals and awkward "blips" and spikes were ignored."

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I'd have to see the torque curve to be sure. One other thing to note is that hub dynos (Dynapack, Rototest) are more prone to showing blips and spikes than roller type dynos since the weight of the rollers can cover up blips and spikes. The blips and spikes can be relatively harmless but real effects from resonance in the intake or headers, to problems that need correcting such as misfires or detonation. We don't ignore the blips and spikes when tuning at our shop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts