Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Newbie!!!!
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy i got the car from told me that it had new 373 gears in it, but from the looks of the diff cover bolts its never been off. Can.anyone tell me if theres a formula to tell what gears your running. I have a t5, 275/40/17 rears and at 70 mph im running about 2200 rpms.
Thx

·
32v Pure Pleasure
290 Posts
I would say short of taking off diff cover and counting teeth you could make a mark on the outside of tire and one on the drive shaft rotate tire 1 revolution to bring mark back to same spot while someone counts how many times the one on the drive shaft has went around might get you close .

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would say short of taking off diff cover and counting teeth you could make a mark on the outside of tire and one on the drive shaft rotate tire 1 revolution to bring mark back to same spot while someone counts how many times the one on the drive shaft has went around might get you close .
Just for my own curiosity, what would this process yield? If he indeed had 3.73 gears, would the drive shaft spin roughly 3.73 times after one complete revolution of the wheel? Also - wouldn't you need to put it in first gear when doing this, as the ratio changes for each gear?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Thats what the rear end gears do. Convert driveshaft turns to axle turns at the specific gear ratio. If one tire rotation turns the driveshaft roughly 3.75 times, you have 3.73 gears, just over 4, your have 4.10, etc. This is perfectly accurate and exact and you can eyeball guess the fractions of a turn. It might not seem like much but as an example, you can see the obvious difference between 3.55 turns and 3.73 turns, assuming you put a mark on the top of the driveshaft, on the last turn, it should be at the 6 oclock position or the 9 oclock poition for those gears. The transmission gearing has nothing to do with the rear end gears and visa versa. Plus, if you have the car in gear, you won't be able to spin the axles unless your hands and arms can overcome engine compression ;)

·
32v Pure Pleasure
290 Posts
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/5-0-mustangs/144352-1992-gt-gear-ratio.html look hrer if he /she has a axel ratio in the high 2's low 3's the DS marking will not rotate as many times as for the trans being in diff gear not sure how it would affect the out come for the final gear ratio but I am not a gear guy just was shown this years ago maybe someone with better understanding will pipe in on this

thanks nolife for clearing this up

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Lol

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
And never climb under a vehicle (anymore, since we've all done it) without jackstands. There was a guy killed around here not to long ago when the jack failed. His wife found him the next morning when he didn't come to bed.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
And never climb under a vehicle (anymore, since we've all done it) without jackstands. There was a guy killed around here not to long ago when the jack failed. His wife found him the next morning when he didn't come to bed.
x1,000,000 Don't ever do it, even if you are only going under for a second. I think about the car coming down on me WITH jack stands in place. I hope my wife would come look for me sooner than next morning though.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Not only do i use jack stands, i also leave the jack inplace to.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Hey Ryan, you dig those 327's? Im thinking of putting some in
For the most part, i like them... i dont plan on staying with them though, the guy i bought my car from installed them. I just sold my 355 tonight. My plan is 373, but moneys tight and i have other car projects ahead of a gear change, so that wont be for a bit.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not only do i use jack stands, i also leave the jack inplace to.
I do the same. I'm paranoid, mostly because i'm a jackass, so I usually have redundant truck jacks in place (they're taller) just sitting under the car so even if the other ones fail, the car will hit the redundant ones before it'll squash my mostly worthless melon. :)

And for the record, I have 3.73s and like the higher ratio and relative drivability that they provide. I also have only put 2,500 miles on my car in a little over a year to help put that in perspective. Most of the mileage is literally to the grocery store and back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts