Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 96 Cobra that has a lot of mods done to it but the guy I bought it from only had it a couple of months and does not know **** about the car. It has what seems to be a Center force 2 or 3 clutch, a cam,high end air intake, adjustable front suspention but I am not sure what rear gears are in it without realy looking into it the speedo is off, show 45 when doing 60 MPH. Take a guess for me it has 275 MT DR on the rear wheels.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Aside from the obvious "why would you ever buy a vehicle without knowing its mods" question, i would venture a guess that if youre running stock tires, which seems unlikely, that your rear gear is possibly a 3.73 if speedo says 60, but youre only doing 45...just a guess

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aside from the obvious "why would you ever buy a vehicle without knowing its mods" question, i would venture a guess that if youre running stock tires, which seems unlikely, that your rear gear is possibly a 3.73 if speedo says 60, but youre only doing 45...just a guess
Because it was a low mileage in pretty good shape Cobra that I got for a bargin price. Thats why and all I asked for was a guess and by the way it runs like a raped ape its just the stuff I can't see I am not sure so thats why I bought it. Also I thought that I said the tires were Mickey Thomson 275 17'' Drag Radials which I don't think are stock.

·
Registered
808 Posts
If you really want to know and the tag is missing or suspect a gear change then here is what to do.
Jack up the rear end of the car.
Jack stand it.
Put a mark on the drive shaft with a white marker or crayon.
Put in neutral ( dont start car)
While laying on the ground and using the valve stem on the tire as a reference, turn the tire 10 times in the same direction and count the number of times the drive shaft turns.
Then, divide the number of DS rotations by 10 and that will give you the gear ratio.
for example : 41 DS rotations would be 4.10
Ive used this method for years when hunting junk yard rear ends. Lets you know what ratio it is without taking the cover off. You cant be sure that the tag is right. And sometimes its not there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you really want to know and the tag is missing or suspect a gear change then here is what to do.
Jack stand it.
While laying on the ground and using the valve stem on the tire as a reference, turn the tire 10 times in the same direction and count the number of times the drive shaft turns.
Then, divide the number of DS rotations by 10 and that will give you the gear ratio.
Ive used this method for years when hunting junk yard rear ends. Lets you know what ratio it is without taking the cover off. You cant be sure that the tag is right. And sometimes its not there.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Jack stand it.
Yep, this will get you in the ballpark of finding your gears. And dont get defensive, I was only implying that it would be difficult for me, personally, to purchase a vehicle without knowing whats been done to it, especially if the previous owner didnt know either. And no, drag radials are certainly not stock tires...lol. Good luck with the car!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, this will get you in the ballpark of finding your gears. And dont get defensive, I was only implying that it would be difficult for me, personally, to purchase a vehicle without knowing whats been done to it, especially if the previous owner didnt know either. And no, drag radials are certainly not stock tires...lol. Good luck with the car!
Sorry if I did ,the owner before me should.of.asked when he. Bought the car so that left me in the dark about some things. It it runs great and the price I got it for I could not pass it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts