Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I went to the dark side. Decided I wanted a car I could AutoX, Drag or beat on the street without worry. The RX7 is a great platform to start with, 4 piston calipers, IRS, light weight, just needed a little more reliability for my taste. So out went the rotary and in went the LS.

Basically I got sick of people door dinging me and generally not respecting the ridiculous amount of money I had spent keeping my Mustangs nice. So this car is basically a rust free, rattle can special. Someone door dings me or I hit a cone and fixing it is a quick squirt with spray paint away :bubba: .

In the beginning...

Gutted...

Out goes the Rotary

6.0 and T56

In the car.

Some progress.

Here she is.

I kind of like interior. Looks like ****, but it is there.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I think its cool in the fact that its unique. On the other hand I'm thinking:

You made Ford fans upset by going to a mazda, you made mazda fans upset by chucking their iconic engine for an LS, you prolly made chevy fans upset because thats one less LS for their cars.

Isn't the car going to be nose heavy now? Thats not so good for autoX.

Its cool that you can say you did it yourself. I personally would have tried to stick within the brand/manufacturer for the new engine.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The LS engine actually is about the same weight as the rotary, most guys end up a little more rear biased after the swap. The only advantage the rotary has is that the weight is lower allowing a bit lower center of gravity. I went with an Iron block so I have an extra 70-80lbs up front. Not to worried about it honestly.

The rotary was running when I pulled it, honestly it kept another RX7 from going to the junk yard. So they can be happy about that, lol. They just do not hold up as well as the rotarites put on and a lot of these go for cheap because they are blown up.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Ah I see. I have never looked into mazdas or their engines much, I've just always heard people wanting the "rotary"

Did you have to do anything to the axle to handle the power from the 6.0?

Should have a wicked HP to weight ratio on that car.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a T2 rear end. They are generally good to 500 or a bit better I have seen guys run well into the 10's on the stock rear. There are kits to swap in a 8.8 IRS center section when power levels grow beyond what the T2 can handle.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Intent is more for a fun street car that I can drive to autox or drag and drive home. They are really easy to work on and take apart.

As far as commonality of the swap. It is fairly common, mainly because these cars have fantastic parts stock and quite a few end up selling for cheap due to a blown engine. The engine bay also has a surprising amount of space in it. Not quite enough space for a DOHC 4.6 swap like I was originally planning :(.

Horsepower actually sold that car.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I will be glad to get videos once the snow stops. Thing that sucks the most is I got it all buttoned up a few days before the snow flew. So I was able to take it out a couple times and never really got into it. The tires on there now I have discovered light up at about 1/4 throttle at 35...

Total Costs for the build are below.
$1200 for car
$900 for engine
$400 for LS2 intake, Cam, LS6 valve springs
$2000 for complete T56 kit
$350 for ecm and harness
$75 for tune
$570 for mount kit
$172 for radiator and mounting
$400 for various cleanup items, fuel system, fluids, etc.

Sold the running rotary and trans to recoup $400.

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,797 Posts
I'm sort of against miss matching diff manufacturer's parts in a car, but thats still pretty neat. I want an rx7 someday, but I plan to keep the rotary. Its just a cool cool design that never caught on IMO.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The thought crossed my mind for a while to stay rotary. But after pricing what it costs to build a nice turbo rotary and seeing how often guys were doing rebuilds I decided V8 power was the way to go.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Slowly getting this thing to actually look like a car. Need to find a couple more things and wash it. But it should be at least presentable sometime in the near future.

Snapped a couple pictures today.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Jesus Christ that is beautiful! I bet that some bitch scoots.
Thanks man.

It is a blast to drive. It does not have the brute force that my old Kenne Bell convertible had. This car just mainly squats down and moves out.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts