Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out cruising with a couple guys last night and when I go over bumps or crappy roads, my car sounds like it's doing it's own version of William Hung's "She Bangs". Actually - it sounds like the front suspension is going to explode and I'll do a nosedive into the pavement. I've PM'd some guys on here that have had similar problems but I wanted to get input from everyone else as well.

Here's the story. Got my car out this spring and it had this bang/clunk/squeak/rattle in the front end. Any kind of weight transfer front to back made my car squeak like no other. Going over bumps it rides rough and bangs/clunks. The other night I popped the sway bar off, and viola - the squeaking went away.

What didn't go away is the nasty metallic banging noise in the front end. My bilstein struts are fairly new and are still hard to compress by hand so I'd assume they are good. I put on MM C/C plates the night I took the sway bar off, so it's not the top strut mount. Also replaced both wheel bearings late last fall, so those are new.

I've checked to make sure all bolts and everything are tight, but I'll check them again. In the meantime, what else should I check or what could cause this noise? I don't want to be replacing a bunch of good parts...

-Steering Rack Bushings?
-Inner/Outer Tie Rods?
-Control Arm Bushings?
-Ball Joints?
-Springs/Isos?
-Exhaust pipes banging on something?

Whatever it is, I need to fix it ASAP because not only is it annoying and embarrassing, I'm not sure how safe it is to drive. FWIW I have a stock '03 front suspension with a coil cut off the springs.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Does it make the noise when you turn the steering wheel? If so I would jack the car up, and have someone turn the wheel and see if you can locate it. I have a bang/clunk when I turned the wheel and located it to the passenger side MM caster camber plate. Good luck with finding it.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's only when I hit bumps or whatever and my suspension compresses. As bad as it clanks around it sounds like the damn K member is loose

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Sounds like it could be a tie rod. Could check the ball joints too. Just jack the car up, put a pry bar under the tire and see if it moves.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This might be a dumb question, but should there be any movement at all in the wheel? I can move it a little bit when (try to stick with me here... don't know how else to explain it) I put my hands on the sides of the wheel and push/pull the sides of the wheel in/out. It's not like the wheel flops around but the edge of the tire can probably move 1/4"

That usually means a tie rod correct? If so, how do I know if it's the inner or outer tie rod?

·
Registered
532 Posts
well heres the thing i was telling aaron after you went in ha even if it is embarresing the first person out on uni to say something dumb would just get smoked anyway haha even with the rim combo you got going haha

oh and fyi did you check muffler belt yet? :lmao

·
Registered
147 Posts
You know anyone with a ChassisEar? Basically you clamp wireless transmitters to things in your front end and see where the sound is the loudest. When my front end was making noise, I had a friend who had one.

Reactions: dcook_14

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Sorry, I can't really help you. I had to change the front hubs on both front wheels on my car. You could move the wheel from a top up and to a down bottom a little. I don't know if that's your problem but it is something you could check.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have the same problem bro!! Passenger side for me...

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Both my front hubs went out within 6 months of each other... around 130,000 miles.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
This might be a dumb question, but should there be any movement at all in the wheel? I can move it a little bit when (try to stick with me here... don't know how else to explain it) I put my hands on the sides of the wheel and push/pull the sides of the wheel in/out. It's not like the wheel flops around but the edge of the tire can probably move 1/4"

That usually means a tie rod correct? If so, how do I know if it's the inner or outer tie rod?
Lol not a dumb question. Thats usually a ball joint issue. I forget how to tell if the tie rods are shot, but I know if the wheel moves around its a sign of a bad ball joint, or ball joint going bad. So you might want to look into that.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I might just buy new control arms that way I can knock out the bushings and ball joints in one shot.

Augh this is frustrating...

Anyway I always thought movement when you push/pull the top/bottom of your wheel was a ball joint and movement when you push/pull the sides of your wheel was a tie rod.

I don't have much movement top/bottom, but I do side to side. I figured since when you move the wheel from side to side you're basically changing the toe in/out and that's a tie rod thing.

Anyone know how to check your tie rods?

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
do you have caster camber plates on it? i had a set of MMs 4 bolt ones and one was worn out and started to do that exact thing

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You know anyone with a ChassisEar? Basically you clamp wireless transmitters to things in your front end and see where the sound is the loudest. When my front end was making noise, I had a friend who had one.

I've never heard of it, maybe some of the shops around me have one that they could use. That's a cool idea though, thanks for bringing that up.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
do you have caster camber plates on it? i had a set of MMs 4 bolt ones and one was worn out and started to do that exact thing
Yeah I have the MM 4 bolts but they are brand new, only been on the car for a week. My car has made the clanking before and after the CC plates, it's no better or worse after I installed those. Bumps and cracks hit a little harder now but I'm sure that's just because I don't have a bunch of rubber in the top shock mount anymore

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
Yeah I have the MM 4 bolts but they are brand new, only been on the car for a week. My car has made the clanking before and after the CC plates, it's no better or worse after I installed those. Bumps and cracks hit a little harder now but I'm sure that's just because I don't have a bunch of rubber in the top shock mount anymore
yea cc plates probably are not the problem then, the ones i had where pretty well used.

( also where are the pics of your wheels damnit)

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yea cc plates probably are not the problem then, the ones i had where pretty well used.

( also where are the pics of your wheels damnit)
On my camera, stop over after work and I'll show them to you haha. The good news is I have one sanded down ready for color, I just have to figure out how to get the satin look. Even when I use straight flat paint I can get it to gloss right up with polishing compound and wax. So if I use flat with a clear over it, it's going to be way more glossy than I want... oh well. I'll at least get the lip painted and taped off this weekend.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts