Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i want to know what is the best intake but without having to get it tuned cause iv purchased a mac intake system and then after getting it tuned my check engine still came on:mad: so now im back to the stock airbox but i still want an intake but dont want to deal with the headache of tuning cause even me with my sct livewire i just dont get it so does any know an intake or how to use the sct livewire:confused:

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
If your not wanting a tune, stick with the stock one... It wouldnt be worth the money to get a cheap intake w/o a tune, as it would only give you 1 or 2 hp... But to answer your question. K&N makes a tuneless intake and so does granatelli. But I would steer clear of both ( especially granatelli!!!! ). I agree, save up the money and get a tuner intake package...

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
Just contact Mac and SCT, tell them about the problems you are having. I'm sure you can get it straightened out man. I know its frustrating but it can be fixed. I have personally talked to tech help with SCT an they are great!! Call them up before you make another decision.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Call SCT they will straighten it out, They are alot of help. Great customer service. A tune is like the one of the best things for your car if you are on a tight budget. It makes a big difference. Buy some tunes from Bamachips or Brenspeed and load them to your SCT.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i called sct about the the mac problem and they couldnt figure out y my check engine kept coming back on but they did stay on the phone and help me for hours so i do recomend sct

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hey. I got the C&L "Racer" CIA withe SCT X3. Got it from Evolution Performance in PA and they included 3 costum tunes with it. Car runs great, I am using the 91oct tune. Anyway you can get three tunes from the for $150.00 and I have no problems (MIL lights) with mine. I think the CIA by itself is aroung $250ish.................

·
Registered
743 Posts
I got here just in time to not help...hmmmm probably couldn't have helped anyway but its the thought that counts:D

·
Registered
338 Posts
JLT makes the best CAI. It has repeatedly proven to have the most power gains.

Here is a test of different CAI's.

CAI Comparo

This comparo was done 4 years ago before anyone had a handle on exactly what these cars like for fuel and timing. I would venture to say regardless of which Cold Air intake you chose they will all make more power then they did back then. If anyone is still looking for a cold air that makes GREAT noticeable power with out the need of a reflash - GMS can not be beat. The GMS cold air intake tube moves more air then 95% of the kits on the market with or with out a tune. The reason GMS can supply you a cold air that moves tons or air without a need for a reflash is because the GMS CAI kits comes with calibrated electronics (slot in meter) while everyone else tell you to move your meter from your stock tube into new cold air, GMS gives you the properly calibrated part you need.

To say the GMS COLD Air Intake does not work is like crazy talk and totally unfounded. GMS is partners with Hitachi, the same company that makes the factory slot it for 95% of all Fords and 60% of all GM cars and trucks

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
why would you want an untuned cai? I don't care how your untuned cai stacks up to the rest of the untuned cai's. I'm sure tuned it doesn't make anymore power than the jlt, and the jlt is cheaper. So why should anyone buy your product?

·
Registered
338 Posts
why would you want an untuned cai? I don't care how your untuned cai stacks up to the rest of the untuned cai's. I'm sure tuned it doesn't make anymore power than the jlt, and the jlt is cheaper. So why should anyone buy your product?
If you are asking me as a consumer - I have one answer. If you ask me GMS then I guess I need to be more PC:D

I am not sure if anyone really understands what I have been saying. You can purchase a GMS CAI both ways. With or without a tuner needed. Historically when a person buys a CAI with no tune needed the tube is wimpy and small so no serious airflow increase means no tune is really needed. However, the Granatelli Cold Air intake tube is huge entrance to exit. The reason they do not need a reflash is simple, GMS has the ability to include properly calibrated slot in MAF electronics. So out of the box the GMS part moves tons of air and still needs no Flash tool to make it work. Now with that said, GMS HAS NEVER taken the position that a reflash would not make more power and in fact the Predator, SCT and the Fuego all have tunes to support the GMS CAI. The real reason the flash tool offers the increased power is simple – it changes way more then just fuel for increased airflow. The flash tool looks at everything.

Other then GMS and the GMS CAI – I know of no other CAI that can offer a 20+ hp increase with out the need of a reflash. Some say they can buy a reflash tool and cold air intake for the same money as we ask for just the CAI. Perhaps but that means you accept that YOU NEED a reflash. We say you do not NEED it - it is just another option

·
Registered
338 Posts
A JLT Cold air kit should cost less then a GMS or C&L part - How can anyone compare a rubber 90 elbow and a tube to a OEM looking cast part that looks like it belongs there?

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
A JLT Cold air kit should cost less then a GMS or C&L part - How can anyone compare a rubber 90 elbow and a tube to a OEM looking cast part that looks like it belongs there?
All i care about is power under the hood, don't care if it looks like it belongs there or not.:cool:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts