Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Mustang about a week ago and I have to say... the speakers are absolute junk. Is this a common thing with these cars? I have the bass as high as it will go, but the sound is comparable to that of headphones?? No bass whatsoever. Is something wrong or do I maybe not have something setup right? I've done nothing to it and neither did the previous owner. Is this just something that I will have to get new speakers to get good sound? I don't want to go all-out, just decent speakers, no HU or amp or anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
Stock Stereos suck. They usually have paper speakers and very little power and you will not get any good bass unless you have subs in it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought so... I had no idea even a stock system could be that bad. I guess my best option is just to get some new speakers and maybe a small sub. Will I need to run an amp as well if I get a maybe a 8 in sub or so? I don't plan on doing anything with the head unit, just want some decent sound.

Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
If your going to run a sub you will need a amp to power it. Your best bet to start off with would be replace speakers. That can hyelp but if you have a basic radio then I would get rid of it Get and afetr market unti a amp and four speakers if your on a budget. Then upgrade later to a sub and amp for it. Make sure you buy a deck with Pre Outs for front, rear and sub out

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I just got my Mustang about a week ago and I have to say... the speakers are absolute junk. Is this a common thing with these cars? I have the bass as high as it will go, but the sound is comparable to that of headphones?? No bass whatsoever. Is something wrong or do I maybe not have something setup right? I've done nothing to it and neither did the previous owner. Is this just something that I will have to get new speakers to get good sound? I don't want to go all-out, just decent speakers, no HU or amp or anything.

Thanks
my stereo that wasnt mach but out a pretty damn good amount of bass
so it might just be blown speakers, head unit is failing, or a short somewhere

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my stereo that wasnt mach but out a pretty damn good amount of bass
so it might just be blown speakers, head unit is failing, or a short somewhere
I did the speaker test where you hold the 3 and 6 buttons in at the same time and it runs through all the speakers. All four speakers worked but have weak sound. We don't have any stock subwoofers do we? I ask because on the head unit it ran through sub1 and sub2 as well, but no sound came out for either of those.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
I did the speaker test where you hold the 3 and 6 buttons in at the same time and it runs through all the speakers. All four speakers worked but have weak sound. We don't have any stock subwoofers do we? I ask because on the head unit it ran through sub1 and sub2 as well, but no sound came out for either of those.
do u have the mach system?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not to say your speakers are not bad cause it could be the case. But there is a huge misconseption when it comes to shitty sounding speakers. No head unit IMO has enough power to push even midranges. When you turn your stereo up and it distorts..its cause of the lack of power..not the speaker. Buying really nice speakers will not fix the problem and could even make it worse. If your not gonna run a amp to your mids then make sure the wattage recommendation is relative. Stock speakers sound awesome with a nice amp but they dont last as long cause they are rated for such power. -Shane

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
really we need to know if you have the mach or not

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not to say your speakers are not bad cause it could be the case. But there is a huge misconseption when it comes to shitty sounding speakers. No head unit IMO has enough power to push even midranges. When you turn your stereo up and it distorts..its cause of the lack of power..not the speaker. Buying really nice speakers will not fix the problem and could even make it worse. If your not gonna run a amp to your mids then make sure the wattage recommendation is relative. Stock speakers sound awesome with a nice amp but they dont last as long cause they are rated for such power. -Shane
That makes sense. I guess if I need to, I will just get a whole new system, but it's not going to be anything special. I don't want to put too much money into the sound system, but with the way it is now, I'd rather just not listen to music. There is no bass whatsoever, the sound is clear, but just annoying without any bass to back things up. The best description I can give is this: picture somone laying a set of headphones on the passenger seat... turn the volume all the way up and just listen. It sounds similar to that but obviously a little clearer and less distorted.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
eek
mach system
you can buy a new stereo and an adapter to make it all work and yes there is an amp an sub in it
I would scrap the whole system and rewire everything

machs are a pita

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
eek
mach system
you can buy a new stereo and an adapter to make it all work and yes there is an amp an sub in it
I would scrap the whole system and rewire everything

machs are a pita
Well thats nice to hear lol. I don't plan on doing any of the work myself, I'll take it to WeeBee or Circuit City and have them install whatever I buy. Thanks for the info so far.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Are the machs a lot more of a pain than the 94-98 premium audio system? I ask because right now I have a 97 with premium audio, and I love it. I got a new head unit, but everything else is stock and it sounds very good. Is that not the case with the machs? I may be getting a 2000 mustang with that setup and I'm worried by the amount of complaints I hear.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
the mach system isnt that bad...its actually pretty good for a stock system IMO so i think u have some sort of problem with it

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
its a good stock system yes

but modifying it or adding stuff on is a pita

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well if my Mach system is supposed to have a stock subwoofer, it obviously isn't working, or isn't there... where is it located? I need to check that first, then move on from there.

·
Registered
392 Posts
i have the mach system and a ten in my trunk i think it sounds really good very loud and clear and my diamond 10 hits hard as hell for one speaker with the help from my 2000 watt volfenhag amp. the mach system holds up pretty well if you ask me when you add stuff to it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys, is there someway to turn on/off the sub in a stock Mach system? If so, can I have directions on how to turn it on, if thats it, I may not need to do anything else.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts