Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would cause coolant to be in the spark plug cylinders....i use to have a misfire in cylinder 5 and i pm'd a few people on what it could be. but then i took it apart and found a bunch of coolant inside were the spark plug coil is. so i had gotten a new coil and spark plug replaced it it was fine. ( i thought i had gotten coolant in there from when i replaced the thermostat. ) then i started getting one in cylinder 8. so i looked and again a bunch of coolant. so i took off the other boots and the same thing but only on cylinders 5-8. what could cause this

thank you
Forest

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
if its both cylinder banks check the intake for cracks or the intake gaskets. small chance its your head gaskets starting to go but id look at the intake first

Reactions: ForestGRN_Ghost

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
be careful do not drive it till fixed, don't want to spin a main bearing or rod bearing!
yeah im not drivin it right now. drivin my truck.

i should have gave the symptoms that it had before. after i instaled my o/r H pipe it started acting up. but ONLY when it was warmed up when it was cold it was fine. so i figure maybe O2. so i replaced the front 2 and it was better for about a day then i started getting the misfire in my 5 cylinder P0305 :mad:. once again it would ONLY mis after warming up. and i was like wtf... so i took off the coil found that coolant. and i thought that it was from when i changed out the thermostat. so i took a shop vac sucked out the coolant replaced the coil and the plug. started her up and started ridin around town. then after about 6 mins ( right after warm up ) it started misfireing in cylinder 8 P0308...:mad: and took a look that one also had coolant in it. so i took a look at cylinders 6 and 7 after the car cooled down and they also had coolant not a lot but it was there. :mad:.. .im gettin pissed off at it >.<

·
Registered
343 Posts
hmm, 6,8, & 5 are all on the drivers side head. thats looking like a head gasket. but +1 for checking the manifold for cracks. if its on top of the plug its most likely the manifold gasket or manifold

·
Registered
588 Posts
more than likely it's the manifold gasket, but have you checked the seal on the thermostat or hose clamp? Just a simple guess, but sometimes it's the simple things we overlook. peace

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
mine was cracked intake. Had this exact same problem.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but im taking it apart well.. going to finish taking it apart at the end of today or tommorow.. saddly at work now. so i cant work on my baby.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
like i said... i would get the occasional miss with a smell of antifreeze on the plug. When i had my cams installed, the guy called and said "man, you have a cracked intake. Im surprised you are not having a misfire from the coolant leaking down on the plug". Thats when i told him i did have an occasional day where the misfire would not go away.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
+1 on the intake, there was a new redesigned intake later that replaced part of the plastic with aluminum to fix the problem. you have a early model, its got the problematic all plastic intake. the fact that its on top of the plugs says its not a head gasket.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
like i said... i would get the occasional miss with a smell of antifreeze on the plug. When i had my cams installed, the guy called and said "man, you have a cracked intake. Im surprised you are not having a misfire from the coolant leaking down on the plug". Thats when i told him i did have an occasional day where the misfire would not go away.
im sad now....:(...
but im going to do that compression test that sweet2k recomended. i have the intake manifold pretty much off right now its just sitting on the top of the motor. it was around midnight yesterday when i got it done. so probably tommorow after noon ill clean it all then go by the tool for a compression test.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
yeah the one they put on is different now and i had to make a bracket for the top of my alternator to keep the alternator from flexing into my procharger pulley. The other bracket wouldnt work with the new one.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Definitely WAY WAY better than a head gasket! LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts