Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So. I've been reading all this hype about tuning with E85 on the forum for a while. Am I missing something? Is there a plus side to using E85 on the cars? Is there a way these guys can be tuned to run on E85? I am so confused... Are people running unleaded and then have the ability to run E85? What is this????

·
Registered
789 Posts
Its just an alternative fuel source I think. I know its popular in the east coast and south. We don't have it here in cali, they don't even give us 93, just 91 for 4.30$ -_-

I was in nebraska in 08 when gas here was 5.00$ and the e85 at that time was like a buck fifty...

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
higher octane can get more hp out of a tune. Ethanol can eat through fuel lines though and its hard to find. Not sure what the pricing is or how to convert to it though

·
BWAL Is My Hero
15,891 Posts
higher octane can get more hp out of a tune. Ethanol can eat through fuel lines though and its hard to find. Not sure what the pricing is or how to convert to it though
Bolded statement is not true on a modern Ford (Anything in the last ten years and maybe farther).

E85 burns cooler and has higher octane (Newest studies say around 96 octane unless premium gasoline is used at the refinery, which is almost never the case) which allows for a lot more knock resistance. To run it on our cars stock, all it takes is a tune and 39lb/hr injectors. Though, you won't see any gains. Also, E85 may be cheaper per gallon, but you use roughly 40% more E85 then gasoline. So its almost always a wash and on a near stock car you won't see any gains. No need to waste the money on the fuel system.

If you have forced induction or high compression, thats where the big benefits come in. E85 is cheaper than race gas, any way you look at it, and you see very similar results. Still the fuel system for a E85 car is going to be much more expensive. For me it works well because I live in Iowa and E85 stations are everywhere so I can find E85 much easier than race fuel. As soon as I have forced induction I will be running E85. We do in our dragster with great results so far. Though, this season will be the real test.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
E85 is 85% Ethanol 15% Gasoline.

Ethanol is basically like grain alcohol.
:withhomo. Its made from corn. some people call it corn fuel also

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The hype over E85 in the non-performance world is that it reduces petroleum consumption. But as stated earlier, it's performance benefit is really only seen in boosted cars as an alternative to race fuel. It has less stored chemical energy than gasoline so unless you have some crazy tune you will make less power in a stock engine.

·
The Mustang Shop
445 Posts
The hype over E85 in the non-performance world is that it reduces petroleum consumption. But as stated earlier, it's performance benefit is really only seen in boosted cars as an alternative to race fuel. It has less stored chemical energy than gasoline so unless you have some crazy tune you will make less power in a stock engine.
Exactly.

With E85 and boosted engines, you can run max ignition timing without fear of detonation. On my car, on pump gas, I have 17 degrees of timing and on Race gas I have 23 degrees. If I ran E85, I could run 23 degrees all of the time and I wouldn't have to upload different tunes and drain the tank.

If only E85 was in the NW.

Reactions: Thumbie

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I live in Germany and they made it mandatory to have it at every gas station!

·
Registered
985 Posts
I live in Germany and they made it mandatory to have it at every gas station!
I've taken a few business trips to Brazil. Every car that is sold there has to run on E85. I'm not sure they have anything other than E85 and diesel at their stations.

Also, a muscle car to them is anything with an engine over 1 liter. They have to pay a yearly tax on their car based on engine size. They couldn't believe I drove a car with a 4.6 liter engine.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Bolded statement is not true on a modern Ford (Anything in the last ten years and maybe farther).

E85 burns cooler and has higher octane (Newest studies say around 96 octane unless premium gasoline is used at the refinery, which is almost never the case) which allows for a lot more knock resistance. To run it on our cars stock, all it takes is a tune and 39lb/hr injectors. Though, you won't see any gains. Also, E85 may be cheaper per gallon, but you use roughly 40% more E85 then gasoline. So its almost always a wash and on a near stock car you won't see any gains. No need to waste the money on the fuel system.

Still the fuel system for a E85 car is going to be much more expensive.
The cooling effect you get in mainly from the added fuel flowing through the systme. Like you mention its around 40% more fuel. That added fuel can absorb more heat. As for more expensive fuel system, it no more than upgrading for oil based gas. You just need to have more capacity.

Where did you read it has an octane of 96? I remember about an octane of 105.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NICE! Why have you guys been hiding this from me? You sneaky jerks. So, even on a stock bottom end, and my turbo kit with 39# injectors I can tune my car with E85. And actually see results. And it's cheaper than normal gas...

Fukin Rock-n-Roll :usa

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But, in turn you get more ponies right? Nature of the beast man, more power more fuel...

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
But, in turn you get more ponies right? Nature of the beast man, more power more fuel...
Depending on your turbo, you should be able to max out your shortblock with pump gas before you would need the benefits of E85. It's only really worth it when you are pushing alot of timing and boost trying to get every last pony.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Word. I'm just kind of disappointed I've never heard of this. But, I guess it's just way above my experience level. So, it wouldn't really help me at all then?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts