Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 96 gt has a pit of rattle can on it courtesy of me. don't post those "do it right, get your car painted" comments, i know it needs a paint job its just not in my budget right now. the car actually looks pretty slick(its white), i want to wax the car but im worried wax will stick to the rattle can stuff, i want road grime and finger prints to stop sticking to the spraypaint stuff like glue, any one have any experience with this kind of stuff? i know i can try different waxes and polishes on small pieces but i really don't wanna muff anything up. any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Did you clear coat also? If so you can use any wax. I used rattle can on an old geo tracker last year. Also used rattle can clear coat. Week later used just a regular car wax with good results.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I don't know of any that would be harmful to the paint. I did my front bumper, spoiler, tail lights, interior, and blackout panel with rattle cans and Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound, Meguiar's Polish, and a couple of different waxes. No issues from them.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Any kind of wax will be just fine, clear coated or not. Just be careful not to polish with to much pressure. Rattle can jobs are normally thin, and excessive pressure polishing will eat through it. Just use moderate to low pressure on the polish of your choice.

·
Formerly whyxitx
12,084 Posts
I don't know of any that would be harmful to the paint. I did my front bumper, spoiler, tail lights, interior, and blackout panel with rattle cans and Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound, Meguiar's Polish, and a couple of different waxes. No issues from them.
You should've done a write-up for painting. I need to paint my front bumper and i don't want to pay 200$ to get it painted...
Or if you can find me a write-up that'd be cool too ;)

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Rustoleum Roller Paint Job with Rustoleum Rattle Can Clear Coat. Wetsand with 2000 grit sand paper, polished with Meguiars Ultimate Compound, and then waxed 90 days after paint completion with AutoGlym HD.

Looked awesome and water literally beaded and slid right off the Jeep.

With AutoGlym HD

Just polished with Meguiars UC only.

·
Formerly whyxitx
12,084 Posts
Rustoleum Roller Paint Job with Rustoleum Rattle Can Clear Coat. Wetsand with 2000 grit sand paper, polished with Meguiars Ultimate Compound, and then waxed 90 days after paint completion with AutoGlym HD.

Awesome, :) Where can i get 2k grit sandpaper? The highest i've been able to find is 1500..

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Honestly...I found it at wal-mart. Go into the automotive section and look for the 3M products, 3M makes various pre-cut rectangles for your sanding block that range from 100 grit - 3000 grit.

·
Formerly whyxitx
12,084 Posts
:eek: damn, i never would've guessed walmart carried it. Luckily i have one 2 minutes from my house :lol.

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts

With AutoGlym HD

Just polished with Meguiars UC only.

Thats one of the best backyard paint jobs I have ever seen...Hates off to you sir...

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
hahaha thanks man!! It took me a really long time to be honest, but it only cost me like $90. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up just cleaning the hell out of it and using good old hard shell turtle wax, it worked great and now the paint matches a little better since the wax made it glossy, you can't even notice that any of it has been hit with a rattle can.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
hahaha thanks man!! It took me a really long time to be honest, but it only cost me like $90. :)
What paint did you use? I would love to do this to my DD...

I ended up just cleaning the hell out of it and using good old hard shell turtle wax, it worked great and now the paint matches a little better since the wax made it glossy, you can't even notice that any of it has been hit with a rattle can.
Turtle Wax... meh lol.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I used Gloss Black Rustoleum Protective Enamel. The paint was rolled on with a high density foam roller. Both 6" and 4" rollers were used, and then Rattle Cans of the paint were used for the door jams, under hood, hatch jams, etc. It's just an oil based enamel instead of an acrylic enamel. If it's painted properly and cared for properly, the results last a lifetime and you can treat it just like a regular factory paint job.

I will say...it's super time consuming though. TONS of sanding and wetsanding. The project took me just under 100 total hours. But if you're looking for a cheap paint job and you're willing to commit the time, there is not a better option.

If you're patient with your final wetsand and take your time with it, you will get a reflection/gloss and shine that will piss you off because your DD will have a better shine than your Mustang. The detailed reflections you see in the pictures above don't totally do the paint job justice...the Jeep was a black mirror to be honest.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
If you painted it "correctly' than it won't have a problem at all. When I rattle can things for a vehicle, etc I'll wet sand them and than compound them a day or two after painting. It really makes a huge difference. It will make an obvious rattle can job look leaps and bounds better. I painted my faux gas cap with a rattle can on my car. I just did a full detail, other thread, and didn't skip over it when polishing, sealing, etc. No problems at all!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts