Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 gt has a stiff clutch. Way too stiff imo. What can be done to fix it. What are all the parts that can make a clutch stiff?

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
Clutch cable FTW

That's what was wrong with mine. I'd start there much cheaper/easier

Maximum motor sports seems to make a nice kit

·
Danger To Manifold!!!!
2,378 Posts
The clamping force of the pressure plate makes the pedal harder to press. A performance clutch will be stiffer than a stock one.
When I play with mine for a while it gets pretty stiff... or this^^^ take your pick.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm. Hows the cable make it stiffer? Just an off brand cable that's too tight maybe. Sigh. Waiting on jokes about something being to tight.

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
The cable makes it difficult to operate when the internal cable frays causing resistance. If your cable is new someone probably put a clutch in that is way stronger than the car needs.

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
Stiff pedal doesn't always equate to a strong holding clutch. The pressure plate design can affect the feel of the pedal. Do you know what clutch is in it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I wish I did. The car is bone stock though save for the few suspension mods I've done. So I would think it would be a stock replacement but I guess you never know. I'll find out when it dies I guess. I just hate to buy a new cable when that isn't really the problem. Any way to check it somehow? I get the impression that its mostly inside a black plastic sheath. Never laid eyes on it cause I've never looked for it.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
No, I wish I did. The car is bone stock though save for the few suspension mods I've done. So I would think it would be a stock replacement but I guess you never know. I'll find out when it dies I guess. I just hate to buy a new cable when that isn't really the problem. Any way to check it somehow? I get the impression that its mostly inside a black plastic sheath. Never laid eyes on it cause I've never looked for it.
The plastic sheath is the cable, its all one piece. The autozone, advance, etc clutch cables are horruble and can make a stock clutch feel like a 5000 lb pressure plate. Get the maximum motors kit or the steeda. Its usually the problem. But to be safe, take it to someone that knows what they are doing and get them to diagnose it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
With a stock engine there should only be a stock clutch with it. If there is a higher performance clutch then usually an adjustable clutch cable kit needs to be used, like the one that MM makes with the longer cable, firewall adjuster, and a new aluminum quadrant. The stock quadrant can only adjust so much. Did you try pulling up on the clutch pedal to reset it? Other than that the cable might be binding, or ready to break. If everything is stock than an OEM ford clutch cable should be used.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I pulled up on the pedal but it won't go anywhere. I was told that MM sells the stock ford OEM cables. I'm assuming that would be motorcraft brand and would come in the standard motorcraft packaging? I'd like to know what to look for. Also if that's true, there is a chance to get it on the cheap somewhere.

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
Motorcraft does not supply cables. They are genuine ford. Which is discontinued thru the dealer to my knowledge MM is the only place to get a genuine ford cable

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wonder where they get 'em. Do companies like that just buy the backstock that Ford had left over at the factory or something? Always wanted to know where some of these companies get this stuff.

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
There are companies out there that deal in discontinued, obselete, and NLA(no longer available) parts. My understanding is the once a part is marked as obselete, ford or GM or whoever, sells off the remaining stock to these companies. You also see these parts classified as NOS(new old stock)

I really don't know where exactly MM gets their cables from. But from what I can tell its the only kit that has an OE cable

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
I can tell you that I snapped my cable and the only thing in town was a zoom cable. It's been in there maybe 4 months or so and I bet I have less than 1000 miles on it and its already getting notchy(don't really have a better word for it)

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Motorcraft and cheap are rarely used in the same sentence.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts