Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install exhaust and CAI, but my tranny is starting to whine a little and it's always grinded a little just like some others are saying in other posts. If I need to take it to the shop, will some of these mods screw me?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
The tune will for sure, but that's easily worked around. I'd take the mods off and take it to them stock. You'd never know if they document your mods and when you come back for warranty work on said part it's voided.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You will hardly ever have a problem with a cai as long as it isn't a Lowes or Home Depot brand and installed correctly. I would recommend one like the Air Raid that can be used with or without the tune. That same concept applies to any exhaust from the cats back. If you mess with the cats you will need to tune it.

There is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which is supposed to protect you by ensuring the actual modification caused the failure. It gives you some legal standing should the dealer become stupid.

With that said, you have to pay to play. The best thing is to talk to your service manager and see what his thoughts are. Some are gear heads and some are hats. Some will actually go out of their way to help while some will go out of the way to screw you.

·
Registered
828 Posts
from my experience working at a dealer, a catbacks don't effect work done, and air intakes won't unless it is clearly installed poorly/incorrectly, and is the cause of the fault. that being said, an intake is easy to change out, and if it were me, I'd toss it back on to be safe.

·
I'm cool..
2,277 Posts
A tune won't. I just had dealer work done with my tune on and they said nothing. Why? Because Nothing will void your warranty. No mods will do it. The only way that aftermarket mods will void your warranty is if the aftermarket mod is the direct reason for the malfunction in a part. Ex: If you added a turbo kit and your seat belt isn't working, your warranty stands. If you added a Turbo kit and you blew your engine... Warranty will not stand.

Google magnuson moss act.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
A tune won't. I just had dealer work done with my tune on and they said nothing. Why? Because Nothing will void your warranty. No mods will do it. The only way that aftermarket mods will void your warranty is if the aftermarket mod is the direct reason for the malfunction in a part. Ex: If you added a turbo kit and your seat belt isn't working, your warranty stands. If you added a Turbo kit and you blew your engine... Warranty will not stand.

Google magnuson moss act.
100% Correct. To add a side note, if you do drop your car off at the dealer for some sort of work to be done. I recommend telling the service writer to write on the work order that the vehicle is not to be flashed otherwise you're going to need to pay to unlock your tuner and get a new tune beyond the Ford dealer reloading a stock tune.. I always add a piece of duct tape over the ODBII port that say's NO. :D

·
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday
6,530 Posts
100% Correct. To add a side note, if you do drop your car off at the dealer for some sort of work to be done. I recommend telling the service writer to write on the work order that the vehicle is not to be flashed otherwise you're going to need to pay to unlock your tuner and get a new tune beyond the Ford dealer reloading a stock tune.. I always add a piece of duct tape over the ODBII port that say's NO. :D
Oh god I will quote this too. Ive had them change a part on my acura rsx. that was OEM and no ****ing way I was going to do it. I was running a aftermarket ECU and the assholes reflashed it with a stock tune.
500+ dollar tune went by by.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah ill just put stock tune back on before taking it in. Don't want to buy two tunes. I'll just take the car in stock. If they fix tranny (IF) then I'll mod the **** out of it. Thanks for the input everyone:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts