129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 03 gt vert with the shaker hood exhaust and thats it for now
i want new headers or a tuner what should i get next

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WIll the headers make a different in the Exhaust Sound and also what power gain will i see and where can i get some good headers for a good deal.

Does anyone know how many mods i would have to get to take a TB ss

·
Registered
971 Posts
Yes the headers will make it a little louder, just what ever you do dont buy shorties. They are a waste of money. LT's will add prob 10-20ish torque and a few hp. I bought the BBK LT ceramic from summitt, you dont have to get ceramic if you dont have the money. All it does is reduce the temp under hood a few degrees and fights rust more.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
If you do the headers now instead of the tuner, you should probably make the tuner your next mod. That will maximize the gain of the bolt ons you are doing.

·
Registered
927 Posts
s/c if not headers :)

i went with
1-wheels (for looks)
2-exahust
3-springs
4-air intake (I did it more for under hood looks )
5-next will be x pipe
6-then data flash unit
7-then headers (in mid summer)

·
Registered
927 Posts
If you do the headers now instead of the tuner, you should probably make the tuner your next mod. That will maximize the gain of the bolt ons you are doing.
i agree with this .100%

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
I would get a tuner next, because if you get long tubes, or a gear you'll need to get one shortly anyways. Kill 2 birds with one stone get the tuner. I single handedly is the most versitile mod that you will pu ton your car. I would reccomend this especially if funds aren't plentiful. While headers are great, and you'll gain from them alot of guys wait till later to install headers. I would say IN MY HUMBLE OPINION,
1) TUNER
2) Gear
3) Short Throw Shifter
4) CaI
5) Throttlebody etc....
Do whatever you want, but there are alot more things that you can do right now that will make the car easier, and more fun to drive. My list is practical, and starts with all of the easy things first.

·
Registered
248 Posts
GEARS, GEARS, GEARS Will make the biggest differance over any other mod get a set of 3.73's for s/c and 4.10 for n/a, you can't believe what a gear change will do for the car.

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
GEARS, GEARS, GEARS Will make the biggest differance over any other mod get a set of 3.73's for s/c and 4.10 for n/a, you can't believe what a gear change will do for the car.
+1. i'd do gears and a tuner, or just the tuner first. it will help a lot, as well as help you get more out of future mods. keep in mind, if you go with the headers first, get long tubes. the hassle involved isn't worth the gains you'll get from shorties. you may as well get the lt's. but you'll also need a new midpipe to fit the long tubes...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys alot of great help so dont get the shorty headers.
What would be a good kind of headers to get also if cermic doesnt do anything for power then i wont waste my money getting them can
anyone send me a link of good headers for the money.

Also there was alot of people with mach 1s who wrote what mods do i have
to buy differentaly because of the hood that someone put on the car because it seems like it takes up alot of room on top of the engine

thanks for the help

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
ceramic is actually the best way to go. the ceramic coating helps keep underhood temps down...

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
lower temps under the hood = cooler air entering the engine = more power

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cool cool more power thats what im looking for lol and im looking for a better exhaust sound so i hope this helps. Whats the diff with shorty headers and lt headers

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
lt's will affect the sound of the exhaust. i'm having lt's put on now while the engine's out of the car for a rebuild. from what i'm told, the lt's will make the exhaust louder...
shorties just do't produce the kind of power that lt's do, so most people will tell you that for the amount of work involved in changing headers, the way to go is lt's...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Back pressure, low to hi rpm power, the power band it self.
for example if your vehicle's cam is tailored to make max torque at a lower rpm say less than 3500rpm u might wanna compliment this with a shorter header.
the longer style are "usually" for hi rpm non street cars. with **** caned low end power to make a stronger higher power band on the hi rpms.

Regardless the headers exit tubes are timed precisely is the most important thing to look for. Chances are your stock header isn't....
and last you could buy the long style headers and just add on exhaust parts to maybe "tune" your exhaust to an appropriate amount of back pressure.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts