Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Flash
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm ready to get a list of mods for the near future....this car is a daily driver (60k miles), but it will only be for another year and a half until I graduate college and buy another daily. I have a decent part time job now, making around 800 per month. THEN, I am going to decide if I wanna keep this car for the long haul OR use the sale money for this car on a Cobra or a highly modded and boosted GT to drive on the weekends. I figure that since this car is paid off and already decently modded, it may be a good idea just to keep this and make it a hobby car: ie, supercharge it!

Mod List:
>Hooker Super Comp Long Tube Headers
>Hooker O/R(Catless) X
>Borla Stinger Stainless 409 Catback
>JLT Cold Air Intake
>Accufab 75mm Throttle Body
>C&L 75mm Plenum
>Fidnaza 2.1 Clutch
>FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft
>Steeda Tri-ax Short Throw Shifter
>FRPP 4.10 Gears
>New TR-3650 Transmission installed at 22k miles
>Rebuilt Rearend at 47k miles with carbon Ford GT clutches
>Eibach Sportline Springs
>Tokico D Spec Shocks and Struts
>Steeda Caster/Camber plates
>SCT Xcal 2 Tuner
>Mach 1 Grille Delete
>Mach 1 Chin Spoiler
>35% Tint
>American Racing 18x9 front 18x10 rear wheels
>265/35/18 Sumitomo HTRZ II Wheels Front
>315/35/18 Toyo TQ Drag Radials Rear

I also have forged rods in the engine, HIDs, and a triple pod pillar gauge setup (Oil temp, pressure, and fuel pressure)

Honestly...I was thinking about grabbing one of those EBAY Terminator bumpers that come painted, and then try to find the bezels and fogs on the internet somewhere. Also, I've been thinking about some HP292s (thanks to a member on here recommending them), but I don't want the car to be too obnoxious as a DD, so that is my fear. My car can already be heard from a mile+ away. But, I would enjoy that idle and even meaner roar.

Any input or opinions are appreciated -- on the long term or short-term.

Thanks

·
Registered
655 Posts
A bunch of members here have had good luck with the prepainted bumpers from eBay, you just have to careful of who the seller is. As for the cams, the HP292s are a streetable cam, so that would not be a problem.

·
Flash
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, he is the "famous" video of my exhaust lol...

How do you think the cams would effect the exhaust tone? Or would it just boost the idle quiet a bit? It is somewhat mellow at idle, say at a stop light...but, people certainly look when I go to roll off the light..:naughty:

Some tard at work who is new to stangs told me that putting cams in my car may make it "rice" since it is already loud. I was like, how is that possible? lol....anyways...

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I don't think I would run the HP292's on a true daily driver. They are a fairly aggressive cam with the duration being around 240 @ .050. That's about as aggressive as you can get with a cam if you don't have notches in your pistons. They have a rough idle and maybe a little too aggressive for a daily driver. I looked at the HP's, MPH, and CMS Stage 3 cams and they would all be screamers at high rpm, but since I do drive the car daily year round I think they would just be too much. Seems like you have a nice foundation already so just build off of what you have. I would persoanlly wait until you have another daily driver before you start going aggressive with this car.

·
Registered
655 Posts
:drool that exhaust note is beautiful. I think any cams combined with Borla sounds very nice, considering the tone is so deep. I would do it. And I bet your coworker also asked if your exhaust was Flowmaster, didn't he? :facepalm:

·
Flash
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to agree with you, Blownstang. I just feel like I want to keep this car for a long long time. And I want to build it more aggressively down the road. I think that when it's my "fun" car i'll go ahead and just match some cams with the supercharger that I choose. I've even thought about maybe swapping in a forged block down the road. So, I may just stick with keeping the car pretty, ie: Terminator bumper and whatever else that I may need to make her look pretty.

Yeah, he is just a little rich boy "noob"...daddy bought him a newer auto v6, but in his head he is driving a Super Snake. I think he may be a tad jealous, but I don't like to toot my own horn.

·
Flash
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:drool that exhaust note is beautiful. I think any cams combined with Borla sounds very nice, considering the tone is so deep. I would do it. And I bet your coworker also asked if your exhaust was Flowmaster, didn't he? :facepalm:
Thanks for the compliment...I appreciate it. Yeah, I am in love with the car and how it sounds. I'm looking forward to that aggressive idle, but I may just wait. I think the Cobra bumper will look super mean! Yeah, I think he actually asked if it was Magnaflow I think, so I guess he did a little better haha.

He was like, I want to put a borla setup on mine!...he texted me later that night, "holy ****, these are expensive"...Gotta pay to play! Now, he is looking at SLP cause I told him they were loud too.

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
I have the hp292s and I pretty much drive mine every other day and it's not too bad. It's been having some minor idle issues, (wants to kill only when AC is on after pulling up to stops) I just choose to let it go until the summer. This is nothing a good tuner can't fix, and typically if you encounter something like this you can bring it to your tuner and he'll fix you up for free, atleast how it works for me. The cams are no where near "obnoxious" and are pretty street-able. The lope is pretty good, video of idle is below. The only non-fixable drive-ability issue I have is cruising under 1600rpm, you know it starts bucking a bit (most cams do this) but you're almost never in a 1600rpm cruise. I can assure you if you try and let it roll in 1st at idle you will snap your neck off lol. Tone wise, it's about the same. Also I run mine up to 6300rpm, 300 over the stock limit.

I would've recommended a SC, but with 800$ per month, the HP292s seem like a great idea and with your current mods, you'd have a quick little 2v with hp292s.

Cammed 01 Mustang Bullitt - YouTube

·
Flash
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the hp292s and I pretty much drive mine every other day and it's not too bad. It's been having some minor idle issues, (wants to kill only when AC is on after pulling up to stops) I just choose to let it go until the summer. This is nothing a good tuner can't fix, and typically if you encounter something like this you can bring it to your tuner and he'll fix you up for free, atleast how it works for me. The cams are no where near "obnoxious" and are pretty street-able. The lope is pretty good, video of idle is below. The only non-fixable drive-ability issue I have is cruising under 1600rpm, you know it starts bucking a bit (most cams do this) but you're almost never in a 1600rpm cruise.

I would've recommended a SC, but with 800$ per month, the HP292s seem like a great idea and with your current mods, you'd have a quick little 2v with hp292s.

Cammed 01 Mustang Bullitt - YouTube
WOW, that sounds really nice! What is your exhaust setup? I'm sure I could have looked it up haha...

But yeah, I just don't want my neighbors to murder me is all. They seem fine with the car as of now. I figured I would install the cams with a good buddy, and then take it to Brenspeed here in Indiana for the tune. It's about 2 hours away.

I'm just totally stumped on which direction to go. Yeah, i'm going to graduate in finance in May of 2014, so that $800/mth should increase haha! It'll be supercharged without a doubt if I keep it.

Love your Bullitt man

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
WOW, that sounds really nice! What is your exhaust setup? I'm sure I could have looked it up haha...

But yeah, I just don't want my neighbors to murder me is all. They seem fine with the car as of now. I figured I would install the cams with a good buddy, and then take it to Brenspeed here in Indiana for the tune. It's about 2 hours away.

I'm just totally stumped on which direction to go. Yeah, i'm going to graduate in finance in May of 2014, so that $800/mth should increase haha! It'll be supercharged without a doubt if I keep it.

Love your Bullitt man
Thanks man, I have a fairly similar setup up to your's. Mac Lt's-O/R X-Magnapacks. It's a bit louder at idle with the cams, but during normal driving its the same as stock.

·
Flash
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks man, I have a fairly similar setup up to your's. Mac Lt's-O/R X-Magnapacks. It's a bit louder at idle with the cams, but during normal driving its the same as stock.

I see, yeah very similar. I just wish I could hear a car in person. I know videos don't do some of these exhaust setups justice. I know I would see some decent power gains which would be nice. I'm more interested in the idle, and according to your video, these do some work on the idle. Does everyone prefer these over say the CMS Stage 2 or Comp Stage 2 cams? I know the HPs are drop ins and don't require upgraded springs....

I see a member has a set of the HPs for sale, wants $450 shipped.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I wouldn't look at a cam based on what it sounds like. Search for a cam based on your application. From what you've said so far, the HP292s seem like a good bet for you based on the cams being able to be used N/A or boosted, since you're not getting a blower until later on. And also because they're fairly streetable, but aggressive as well. Just my .02

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
I see, yeah very similar. I just wish I could hear a car in person. I know videos don't do some of these exhaust setups justice. I know I would see some decent power gains which would be nice. I'm more interested in the idle, and according to your video, these do some work on the idle. Does everyone prefer these over say the CMS Stage 2 or Comp Stage 2 cams? I know the HPs are drop ins and don't require upgraded springs....

I see a member has a set of the HPs for sale, wants $450 shipped.
These will lope almost as hard as the CMS and Comps, you just have to set the idle right (700-750). I would just pick up a brand new set from HP for 480 shipped. You would probably gain maybe 5hp more with the CMS Stg. 2's, but they would work against a blower if you ever do one. Mine made a tad over 300/300 on a mustang dyno with a completely stock intake.

·
Flash
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wouldn't look at a cam based on what it sounds like. Search for a cam based on your application. From what you've said so far, the HP292s seem like a good bet for you based on the cams being able to be used N/A or boosted, since you're not getting a blower until later on. And also because they're fairly streetable, but aggressive as well. Just my .02
These will lope almost as hard as the CMS and Comps, you just have to set the idle right (700-750). I would just pick up a brand new set from HP for 480 shipped. You would probably gain maybe 5hp more with the CMS Stg. 2's, but they would work against a blower if you ever do one. Mine made a tad over 300/300 on a mustang dyno with a completely stock intake.
Awesome input guys, thanks a lot. I agree, based on what everyone has said what I have done to the car thus far, the HPs are prolly the best choice for me right now. Especially since I plan on supercharging it in the future. 480 shipped is super reasonable for drop ins. My tuner offers custom email tunes, 3 for 145$. Think I should just take it there and have them tune it on a dyno? Or see if they would set me up with a free email tune to get me to their site? IDK if I should trust an email tune....even if it is from someone like Brenspeed who is a reputable tuner here in Indiana.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'd say dyno tune. I'm sure the email tune they would send you would be fine, but you mught need to send datalogs back and forth if something is wrong. A dyno tune will get it right the first time and even help out with some other mods you have like the longtubes if you don't already have a tune for them.

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
Contact your tuner and get a base tune emailed to you so you can drive it over to the shop, and get a custom dyno tune done.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts