Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I need help picking the right stall and converter size for my mustang.

My specs:
Stock Auto Trans
5.0 Eagle Stroker with a P1SC supercharger using a 3.2 pulley (guessing 10-12 lbs boost)
Comp Cams stage 2, .050 lift and powerband 1800-5800
4.10 gears

Have not decided on tires yet, but most likely 315/35-17.

Since the car hasn't been dyno'd I don't know the peak torque, which is why I'm asking you guys.

Thanks!

·
Speed Junky
56 Posts
Call TCSperformance.com @ 928.453.4020 and talk to the owner Rusty he builds a lot of convertors for a lot of championship racers in various race series... They build everything in-house and have locations in both socal and arizona...

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would really like to do 3800, but don't you think that's high. I would never lock up on the interstate, I wouldn't think. At about 70/75 i'm right around 3000 rmps.

I do mostly interstate driving ~150 miles one way to Richmond and back.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
Ill sell u my edge pro 3500 that was spec'd for a procharger

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Im not a tuner, but I am certain they can lock up your converter on comand at a reasonable rpm on the interstate so lockup should not be an issue . A 4000 Stall wouldnt hurt you with a centri It will actually help throw you into your peak powerband and even into the boost faster. II have ran a 4000 stall with both 410 and 373 gears and ill say its much friendlier with 373 gearing.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
A tuner can manipulate the lock-up. Regardless though a lock-up style converter is generally locked in 3rd and overdrive.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I would really like to do 3800, but don't you think that's high. I would never lock up on the interstate, I wouldn't think. At about 70/75 i'm right around 3000 rmps.

I do mostly interstate driving ~150 miles one way to Richmond and back.
Thats not how a lock up converter works. Stall speed has nothing to do with lock up. I say atleast a 3600. Talk to Circle D.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I run a dirtydog performance 10" 3800 stall and on highway speeds you wont even know its there, it will drive normal, get a lock-up style converter for these cars which is MUCH more dd friendly, and you can have it tuned later if you want it to lock/unlock at WOT to your liking rpm/mph wise. A bigger diameter converter (more than 9"') single disc IF MADE WELL BY A REPUTABLE PLACE, CAN HANDLE WOT lock-up. a multi disc is reccomended though for lock-up on high hp applications.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the clarification on the lockup. What is the difference in the diameter of the converter. I've seen them anywhere from 9-11"

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Thanks everyone for the clarification on the lockup. What is the difference in the diameter of the converter. I've seen them anywhere from 9-11"

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
This should help sum it up, This is what my stall builder/shop shows the unknowing. Like I said I run the 10" which actuality is 11" single disc converter locking up early in 2nd/3rd currently and have a 2nd tune to unlock it at WOT if need be also on my sct tuner from my dyno tuner, and mine sits at 378/364, no issues at moment with 30+ passes on set-up. I will tell you as will any a good trans cooler is a must for a stall. I run a 45k btu supercooler with mine if you were wondering also.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
4,000 is what i would do.

i currently have a 3k stall and it is no where near where it needs to be to leave even remotely hard at the track...it needs a minimum of 4k.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
If you buy new I'd get that companies suggestion. Depends how much u want to spend but circle d and ucc are nice pieces...and edge.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
I couldn't notice a difference between my stock stall and my 3500. But like I said it kinda tight so that helps

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
circle d only has a multi disk one for 1.1k... and it's more of a strip converter, only 9"

i'm asking alan at dirty dog for his prices

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
I'm running a custom built UCC 4000 it's a good product.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
More of a strip?? People street then all the time. I will be. Who told u that?

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
A 4000 stall is a 4000 stall there is no major difference that makes it a strip converter. Now some are built better then others due to HP requirements but I have never heard of a strip only converter if there is someone step up and educate me on this.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts