Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone newbie here, I recently bought this 2000 GT and was taking care of a few leaks on it. It had a small exhaust leak and the valve cover gaskets were also leaking but very little. Anyway I got the exhaust leak done but when I took off the valve covers especially the one on the drivers side, on the block itself I saw that it said 5.4L. Now I originally thought this car was a 4.6L so I didn't pay it much attention until I ordered the valve cover gaskets for that year, make, and model engine (which was the 4.6L) come to find out the valve cover gasket was completely different. I tried other gaskets and even looked at some 5.4L engine valve cover gaskets but there was so many. Lucky I have a friend who works in the auto store who let me go through a bunch of valve cover gaskets for Ford until I found one that matched. Now this car came with a few mods, it has a trick flow 75mm throttle body, BBk CAI, BBK Headers, short throw shifter, and Magna flow exhaust to name a few. Because the 4.6 and 5.4 engines look a like can someone please help me. It was the driver side valve cover I removed that said 5.4L.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
The 2000 came stock with a 4.6L Windsor. One of the differences between the Windsor and the Romeo is the valve covers which would affect the gaskets. A Windsor has 13 valve cover bolts on the driver's side. A Romeo has 11.

The only 5.4 swaps I'm familiar with have been on this forum. If I recall correctly because of it tall deck height a 5.4 requires an aftermarket cowl hood. What type of hood is on the car?

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Your 2000 GT has windsor heads which have 13 bolt valve covers which are different from the romeo 11 bolt. Also the Crank is an 8 bolt VS the 6 Bolt romeo. Post some pictures.

Eagle you beat me..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts