Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about ordering black fr500s 18x9 and 18x10s

It comes with 245s in the front and 265s in the rear. Is this big enough? I don't want the tire to look stretched on the rim. I could just order the rims and tires seperate, but this will cost about $400 more, but would allow me to get bfg kdw 2s instead of the Nexens it comes with.

So the question is...How bad will the 265 look on the rear?

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
OE Wheels LLC, right? Invest in better tires that fit properly, you'll definitely be glad you did.

Not only are Nexen N3000s inferior tires to most other high performance summer tires out there, they'll look silly on the size of wheel you're getting. OE Wheels is great, but I've been to their warehouse and the Mustang wheels that ship out with undersized tires look completely out of place. OEW can hook you up with the tires you want as well and mount/balance for free. Ask them and they'll be able to give you some more options.

I'd recommend 265/35/18 on the front, 285/35/18 or 295/35/18 rear.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Asian officially ended this thread for you. But my input will be to agree and definitely get better tires.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am using Nitto 555's...with BBS RK's 245-40-18 front and 285-35-18 in the back

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Thinking about ordering black fr500s 18x9 and 18x10s

It comes with 245s in the front and 265s in the rear. Is this big enough? I don't want the tire to look stretched on the rim. I could just order the rims and tires seperate, but this will cost about $400 more, but would allow me to get bfg kdw 2s instead of the Nexens it comes with.

So the question is...How bad will the 265 look on the rear?
OE Wheels LLC, right? Invest in better tires that fit properly, you'll definitely be glad you did.

Not only are Nexen N3000s inferior tires to most other high performance summer tires out there, they'll look silly on the size of wheel you're getting. OE Wheels is great, but I've been to their warehouse and the Mustang wheels that ship out with undersized tires look completely out of place. OEW can hook you up with the tires you want as well and mount/balance for free. Ask them and they'll be able to give you some more options.

For 9s and 10s?...

I'd go 265 or 275 up front and 295 or a 305 in back.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
:lol I measure the performance of my car by how many Gs I can generate in a bend so I tend to go for the exact size tire that was designed for the wheel. 275 front and 305 rear will work as well, though some tramlining and rubbing may occur with the wider tires.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yea you can fit a with a 9in/10in wheel set up you can have 275 inch in front at the widest and a 10 inch is good for 295 to be safe. Now if you could find a 10.5 for the real youd be able to get 315's. :D

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

This is the exact response I was looking for. OE Wheels is by far the cheapest place I have found for the black fr500s shipped. With the Nexen n3000s it's only $1038 shipped, mounted and balanced, and the other companies want $1300+ for the same thing. AmericanMuscle.com has the black fr500s 18x9 and 18x10 with Sumitomo High Performance HTR Z II 275/35 in front and 285/35 in the back. What do you know about these tires? This would run me $1255 shipped. Cruzin Concepts has the black fr500s with nittos for around $1500, but that's a little too much. I've heard good things about the BFG KDW IIs, and I could have 275s up from 285s in the rear with these tires for ~$1400.

Overall, what do you think is best for the money?

I will have to give OE Wheels a call and see what their price is for 265s or 275s up front and 285s or 295s in the rear.

Thanks again for the great response, it seems like you always give advice that is spot on!

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
No sweat, what expectations do you have for tires in terms of grip and do you do any track work? How often do you drive on wet roads? That'll help narrow down your list of potential tires.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never go to the track, and I don't race or beat on my car. It's a daily, so it doesn't need to be the best performance tires, just something that will have a nice ride and nice wear.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
In that case just about anything would work. Those Sumitomos are nicely priced though they wear fairly quickly for a tire with average grip. Goodyear Eagle F1 if you want something sporty but somewhat economical and good in the rain. Fuzion ZRi is nicely priced and fairly comfy to ride on. I've heard good reviews General Exclaim UHP on 200hp passenger cars. If you want something inexpensive but grips fairly hard, try the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In that case just about anything would work. Those Sumitomos are nicely priced though they wear fairly quickly for a tire with average grip. Goodyear Eagle F1 if you want something sporty but somewhat economical and good in the rain. Fuzion ZRi is nicely priced and fairly comfy to ride on. I've heard good reviews General Exclaim UHP on 200hp passenger cars. If you want something inexpensive but grips fairly hard, try the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110.
Sounds like you know a good bit about tires. Haha. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like I'm going with 265 and 285 Sumitomos. They're about the same price as the one's listed from OE Wheels, the 245s. If I can get those rims with the Sumitomo 265 and 285s for ~$1150-$1200 I'll be happy.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Haha yeah I run through tires like nobody's business. See if OEW would be willing to price match those Sumitomos for you, it'd be fairly convenient since their mounting/balancing technicians in Sarasota are pretty skilled in working with low profile tires.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Looks like I'm going with 265 and 285 Sumitomos. They're about the same price as the one's listed from OE Wheels, the 245s. If I can get those rims with the Sumitomo 265 and 285s for ~$1150-$1200 I'll be happy.
Sumis are garbage but they work no doubt. I run 245 up front and 295 in the back. Fronts need to be a little wider than what I have no doubt but I would recommend running 295s on the rear

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
335/50 up front and a 195/45 out back...

Or just do what Asian and Mrsinister told you.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Sumis are pretty crappy and dont give much grip, Nitto 555s are good and not too bad on the wallet. Id do 265 up front, anythin larger is gonna track alot on the road. And 285-305 for the rear are good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts