Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just trying to get a survey of what you guys run. I'm all set on the wheels and tires that I want - I'm struggling to decide whether I want 17 or 18" wheels and do I want to go staggered or keep the width consistent all around.

My thoughts are:

Pros: (of a staggered set up)
- Staggered set ups look aggressive and I love it
- More traction

Cons:
- No tire rotations
- more expensive
- a lot of packages run 9" width rims with 275 width tires in the front and I think front tires that wide look weird.
- tread life warranties are cut in half

There's no right answer, I just want to hear what you guys have to say about different wheel/tire sizes.

My inspection is up at the end of May so I will be replacing them in the next few weeks. I'm going through a local tire shop and they quoted anywhere between $1100 (17x8 with wheels and cheap tires) to over $2000 for a 17x9 front and 18x10 rear with michelin pilot sports. I really do love the staggered look but it really doesn't have much benefit. I need someone to sway the teeter-totter one way or the other.

·
Urt
212 Posts
Staggered unless youre going with a custom offset wheel. Just looks better. A 8 or 9 inch wide wheel in the rear of mustangs looks like a dude those guys in the gym that have bulging biceps and chests bigger than gianna michaels... but the legs of a 12 year old. Just looks funky having small wheels on an otherwise beefy car.

Just do 17x9 and 17x10.5. Its the most common staggered setup and proper offset wheels can be easily be found. Tire sizes for 17 are also significantly cheaper than 18's. I have that setup now but am upgrading to 18x10 all the way around with custom offset wheels.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I'm running a set of six wheels. I have four 17x9s with 275/40-17 Continental ExtremeContact DWSs and two 17x10.5 with 315/35-17 Nitto 555Rs. I run the all-seasons on the front all year long and on the back during the winter and I run the drag radials on the back in the summer. I rotate the all-seasons on the front to try to get a little better wear on them.

I've done all sorts of combinations in the past. If I were going to run only four wheels then I would run all four the same for wheel rotation and tread life. Why spend $800-1000 on a set of tires to have them prematurely wear out? I would also pick a 17x9 wheel with a 275/40-17 tire. 18" tires are more expensive than 17" tires. 275s fit without any problem on the front. I have run a 245/45-17 on a 9" wheel. I put them on the front so I could have a staggered look in the winter. They look stretched and provides no protection from curb rash. When my alignment went bad I got uneven tire wear. I could either scrap the 245s or rotate the 275s to the front and run the 245s on the back. Not a good choice.

The only reason to run staggered is if you need more traction on the back. That is when you go to a 17x10.5" wheel. But if you need the traction be sure to get a good tire. My all-seasons hook better than the cheap Sumitomo 315/35-17s that I had. They were excellent at poor traction and short tread life.

One last thing, wide tires have a larger contact patch. That means less weight per square inch touching the ground. I had to run between 20-25 psi in the 315s to get even tread wear.

·
Tex1986
80 Posts
Michelin pilots are NOT cheap, I would suggest a Continental DWS. 17's are cheaper, 18's look better ;) I currently run 18x9/18x10 Saleens. They look GOOD. I LOVE the 10" in the back. It truly does make a difference in stability for the rear. If you're trying to go on a budget, 18's looks good, 17's are cheaper, as well as i'd go for 9" width all the way around. 9's will fit and give you a good feel in the back. I would do some research on wheel prices before you buy. Check out TireRack, WheelPros, Discountwheel, and see what you find. I personally recommend against mixing rim sizes, just my .02$ Once you decide on that, PM me and I'll help you with tire options, especially if you're on a budget. Best of Luck OP

·
Registered
718 Posts
I run 18x9 fronts with cby 18x10

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Conti dw in the front and bfg sport comp 2s in the back but I'm going to get drag radials when I get 4.30 gears

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Staggered unless youre going with a custom offset wheel. Just looks better. A 8 or 9 inch wide wheel in the rear of mustangs looks like a dude those guys in the gym that have bulging biceps and chests bigger than gianna michaels... but the legs of a 12 year old. Just looks funky having small wheels on an otherwise beefy car.

Just do 17x9 and 17x10.5. Its the most common staggered setup and proper offset wheels can be easily be found. Tire sizes for 17 are also significantly cheaper than 18's. I have that setup now but am upgrading to 18x10 all the way around with custom offset wheels.
Way off topic, but I was just thinking I wanted to paint my sonic blue GT with a purple pearl. What's the details on that paint?

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
So that's a wrap?

My old 04 was torch red. Ended up being diamond pearl white. Instead of doing a full color change this time, and having to deal with painting trunk, under hood, door jams, etc, just going to have the blue redone and a pearl added.

As for the OP, I'm going to be running 18x9 up front and 18x10 in the rear.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I run 18/9 and 18/10.5 Rovos. I sacrifice on the traction at my hp level to have the look I wanted.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
I run 17x9's up front and 17x11 in back with Nitto 555's 275 up front and 315 out back. I can see where the staggered look is just what these cars need to give it that look paired with a mean stance. I don't worry about rotations though as I only drive the car on average 5k a year so she is pretty much a weekend or nice day toy. Were I to DD her I'd probably still do the same since I've ran 18x9's on her for rotation purposes and hated the look of it and every time I saw a new edge with fender flush wheels I was always jealous. Most guys either stick with the same all the way around for rotation purposes or cause they are AWD on other cars.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I've ran 18x9's on her for rotation purposes and hated the look of it and every time I saw a new edge with fender flush wheels
Both my 17x9s with 275/40-17s on the front and my 17x10.5s with 315/35-17s are flush with the fender. They were both made to fit a Mustang. They have different back spacing and offset that make the wheels even with each other.

Some guys install a shorter real axles housing to fit wider tires under the fender. Dedicated drag racers tub the rear wheel wells. Why would you want a wheel that sticks out?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just got a new set of continental dws's thanks to Eagles recommendations^
I love them.

Running 18x9 and 18x10 wheels with 255/35/18 and 295/35/18.

Def go staggered, no other option.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Here's what I'm running

Front: 17x8 - 245/45-17
Rear: 17x10.5 - 315/35/17

I'm running NT555s and my rear tires are at 9/32 (new is 11/32) with about 6000 miles on them. They should easily make it to 30,000.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
If you are looking to stuff your wheel wells to the max, the 05-10 year wheels have about 1/2" more backspace, pulling the wheels in a little more.

By using 05-10 17 x 10" wheels, rolling my fender lips and massaging the inner fenderwells a little I was able to fit M&H 325/45/17 drag radials on the car.

This is a 28.5" diameter tire, here's what it looks like from the rear:

·
Registered
1 Posts

I love the wheels you have on the car in this picture. What are they?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts