Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just wanted to start off this topic by saying it's really, really hard for me after I did a couple of mods that maybe at most gave me 1-2 hp each to sit back and say that's fine. So my modding bug sort of flipped over and it's kicking it's legs but it's not going anywhere soon unless I get noticeable power. I am not sure how I want to make my Mustang look, but I'm cutting the springs next weekend. The stock wheels will stay on, and then I'll be painting some interior parts and buying a short shifter.

What's next? I dont really know. I have wheels in mind but I am looking at getting a performance cam to reach my goal of 200 n/a hp. Think it's possible with a cam to get there on a nearly stock engine? I also want something like this, lumpy cams aren't my slice of bread.

I posted the link to see if anyone can help me out and figure what sort of specs that is.

Eventually I want to go Turbo, but that's far off- probably not until I'm finished college and have a steady job and a new car as my daily.

This is merely me trying to learn enough to be confident this is the right move for me. $350~ for a cam and $800 is probably worth it for me rather than buying new wheels. Leave gears out of this too, I'll be getting them at one point.. :D

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did miss that :/ for a moment I thought you were some wizard who could tell by the sound the exact specs

200 is just a short term goal, I'll shoot for 250 when I look into possibly stroking :D

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw you put in a cam before you got the stroker and windstar, right? I guess that's something you learned? Haha

Maybe I will then, but I just want a v6 that isn't slow like the others around here so I can say, 'it's only a v6' ;) but jokes aside, that's probably a better way to do things. That's why I asked. I'm getting a short shifter by the way, what do you recommend? I'm thinking steeda..

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Go for it, a cam was maybe my favorite mod except FI. Because it makes your car sound great and you can actually tell there's a difference. FI<cam<Windstar<other bolt ons, gears and tuner aside cause you really need them anyway (the tuner at least).

·
Registered
461 Posts
what mods do you have on your car that didn't push you over the 200hp mark?

I have a 2001 V6 3.8l with 212hp My mods: K&N CAI, BBK short headers, Pypes Catted X Pipe, dual flow 40s, then I wrapped it up with a custom tune from a local speed shop.

Dynoed at 212hp & 209ft/lbs torque My next mod will more than likely be a windstar, then an aluminum drive shaft, 3.73 gears with a T-lok.

I'm just saying its not hard to push 10hp out of the 190hp motor, go up one octane level and get a dyno tune and that may do it for you.

·
Registered
546 Posts
You might have 200 at the crank but not to the wheels...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Dynoed at 212hp & 209ft/lbs torque My next mod will more than likely be a windstar, then an aluminum drive shaft, 3.73 gears with a T-lok.

As in they put the car on the Dyno and ran it, adjusted the tune, ran it again, ect. All in all the speed shop had my car for two days and I can feel the difference in what it felt like stock to what it is now.

Its 212hp at the wheels.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a 2001 V6 3.8l with 212hp My mods: K&N CAI, BBK short headers, Pypes Catted X Pipe, dual flow 40s, then I wrapped it up with a custom tune from a local speed shop.

Dynoed at 212hp & 209ft/lbs.

Dayum! Thanks a gain of around 50 hp!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
You need to figure out what you want in a car rather than keep throwing ideas out in the air. Do research and know your game plan. Posting 1 or 2 threads a week on what to do is not research (So I dont get that as an answer). Personally I would rather save up for a single turbo instead of paying $1100 not including valve springs and lifters (maybe). My friend has a cammed 4.2 and its nice dont get me wrong. I just think you need to get a plan as to what you want. :p

·
Registered
461 Posts
You need to figure out what you want in a car rather than keep throwing ideas out in the air. Do research and know your game plan. Posting 1 or 2 threads a week on what to do is not research (So I dont get that as an answer). Personally I would rather save up for a single turbo instead of paying $1100 not including valve springs and lifters (maybe). My friend has a cammed 4.2 and its nice dont get me wrong. I just think you need to get a plan as to what you want. :p
Agreed you can ask questions till the cows come home but if you don't make a plan you will always end up disappointed.

If you are just looking to make 200rwhp that's a good plan and its relatively easy to do. for a modest amount of money. I don't think you want or can afford the tune I receiveds price tag. Looking back with 20/20 hindesight I was an idiot. I could have made the 200 benchmark without the hassle.

If you only want 200hp get a good CAI (not a autozone special) Get a good Throttle body, and clean your injectors. Get a decent exhaust set-up. Then look into UD pulleys or even an aluminum drive shaft. That should free up the HP your motor is already making and get you to the 200hp benchmark and if not it'll get you very close. If you still aren't at the 200hp mark get an intake spacer and while you have your intake off port it. That will put you over the 200 mark.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Agreed you can ask questions till the cows come home but if you don't make a plan you will always end up disappointed.

If you are just looking to make 200rwhp that's a good plan and its relatively easy to do. for a modest amount of money. I don't think you want or can afford the tune I receiveds price tag. Looking back with 20/20 hindesight I was an idiot. I could have made the 200 benchmark without the hassle.

If you only want 200hp get a good CAI (not a autozone special) Get a good Throttle body, and clean your injectors. Get a decent exhaust set-up. Then look into UD pulleys or even an aluminum drive shaft. That should free up the HP your motor is already making and get you to the 200hp benchmark and if not it'll get you very close. If you still aren't at the 200hp mark get an intake spacer and while you have your intake off port it. That will put you over the 200 mark.
Sorry man but most of that stuff wont get him close to 200rwhp.

·
Registered
546 Posts
what mods do you have on your car that didn't push you over the 200hp mark?

I'm just saying its not hard to push 10hp out of the 190hp motor, go up one octane level and get a dyno tune and that may do it for you.
Our cars stock at the wheels make somewhere maybe around 160

·
Registered
461 Posts
The 02 has the same motor as the 01 right? Motor 190hp so at the wheels is 173-8ish

A proper CAI (One thats outside the engine bay) 7 HP so thats 180s
Good throttle body (We'll down play that and say 5hp) so 185-189hp
Aluminum Drive frees up about 7 so thats 195ish
UD pulley on the AC compressor (if ones even there) 5hp at least so close to if not at 200hp.
P&P upper intake w/ spacer 10-15hp
clean up injectors with a 91+ octane tune even more hp.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The 02 has the same motor as the 01 right? Motor 190hp so at the wheels is 173-8ish

A proper CAI (One thats outside the engine bay) 7 HP so thats 180s
Good throttle body (We'll down play that and say 5hp) so 185-189hp
Aluminum Drive frees up about 7 so thats 195ish
UD pulley on the AC compressor (if ones even there) 5hp at least so close to if not at 200hp.
P&P upper intake w/ spacer 10-15hp
clean up injectors with a 91+ octane tune even more hp.
Thats all crank hp. Only a windstar intake manifold will give you 7rwhp

Keep in mine companies are in it for money so they exaggerative the hp gains.

Our cars stock at the wheels make somewhere maybe around 160
Some say 160 others say 170 I say 165 lol

·
Registered
546 Posts
As in they put the car on the Dyno and ran it, adjusted the tune, ran it again, ect. All in all the speed shop had my car for two days and I can feel the difference in what it felt like stock to what it is now.

Its 212hp at the wheels.
Wheres this dyno sheet at?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts