Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 4132 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Doing a little engine build. Check out the link in my signature. My cam, upper & lower intakes, and cylinder heads are out and should be coming back soon, I hope.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Is it cheaper swapping to 8.8 or rebuilding 7.5 not sure. What do you guys think?
Swapping an 8.8 is cheaper. Go to the Junk Yard and pull one out. If your rebuilding the 7.5 (assuming with T-LOCK) it's going to cost more. I got my 8.8 for $45 w/3.73 gears already on it.:)
Yep. Just make sure you get one from your year bracket --> 99-04. The 94-98's were a bit narrower.

_

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yep. Just make sure you get one from your year bracket --> 99-04. The 94-98's were a bit narrower.

_
So will any 8.8 bolt up to a V6 of the same generation. For example, I have an '02 V6 manual with a T5 tranny. Will any 99-04 8.8 differential bolt up without any modification?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
So will any 8.8 bolt up to a V6 of the same generation. For example, I have an '02 V6 manual with a T5 tranny. Will any 99-04 8.8 differential bolt up without any modification?
Yes. 94-98s will work as well but will be about 1-2" narrower and I believe 79-93s will work too but will again be shorter and may have 4 lug axles instead of 5 lug. 99/01 and 03-04 8.8s will be IRS as opposed to the SRA that you currently have.

·
Registered
557 Posts
To answer your question mcqueen, I might run a procharger kit eventually, but I plan to stay N/A for now with a good dyno tune of course!

·
M112'd Sixxer
1,703 Posts
99/01 and 03-04 8.8s will be IRS as opposed to the SRA that you currently have.
Uh what?

99-04 GT - 8.8" SRA
99-01 Cobra - 28 spline 8.8" IRS
03-04 Mach 1 - 8.8" SRA
03-04 Cobra - 31 spline 8.8" IRS

Sent from my droid using my fingers.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes. 94-98s will work as well but will be about 1-2" narrower and I believe 79-93s will work too but will again be shorter and may have 4 lug axles instead of 5 lug. 99/01 and 03-04 8.8s will be IRS as opposed to the SRA that you currently have.
I apologize for my basic knowledge questions here, but while I'm fairly well versed in basic engine function and modification, I'm very limited at best with my understanding of drivetrains. So 1: What's the basic essentials for a rear end swap? It looks as though most complete rear ends for sale include parts such as brake rotors, control arms, quad shocks and even brake lines. Are these essentials or just extras? And 2: I thought only the Cobras had IRS and all GT's were SRA?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Uh what?

99-04 GT - 8.8" SRA
99-01 Cobra - 28 spline 8.8" IRS
03-04 Mach 1 - 8.8" SRA
03-04 Cobra - 31 spline 8.8" IRS

Thanks for clearing that up, I was getting confussed lol. :dunce: That being said, will Cobra IRS rear ends also bolt up to my 7.5 rear end?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I apologize for my basic knowledge questions here, but while I'm fairly well versed in basic engine function and modification, I'm very limited at best with my understanding of drivetrains. So 1: What's the basic essentials for a rear end swap? It looks as though most complete rear ends for sale include parts such as brake rotors, control arms, quad shocks and even brake lines. Are these essentials or just extras? And 2: I thought only the Cobras had IRS and all GT's were SRA?
1. Everything (brakes, suspension) should swap over from your 7.5 rear if the rear you buy doesn't include them. As far as "essential" goes, I would basically say only the housing, differential, gears, and axles are essential. Your brakes and shocks will work on a GT rear (I believe they're exactly the same).

2. Sorry, I'm a bit drunk. I meant to say Cobra for the IRS. So yes, Cobras had IRS and GTs/Machs/V6s had SRA.

·
M112'd Sixxer
1,703 Posts
To swap a 8.8 into your car, all you basically need is the housing, carrier, ring/pinion. Axles, brakes, control arms, shocks are the same.

If you keep your 7.5", you will have plenty of spare parts if anything breaks.

See my post above for the answer to #2.

·
Registered
977 Posts
And before you ask -

NO. the 8.8 from a Ford truck - Exploder, Expy, F150, etc. will NOT work.

_

·
2013 5.0
2,983 Posts
HI!!! HI!!!!!! HIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!

Give me till the end of the week and I'll do a write-up on it..

When you start this, put the car on jack stands. I put the jack stands under the LCA so the spring wouldn't be trying to send the LCA down to the ground. Then put your jack under the pumpkin of the rear end and jack it up to provide some support for when you release all the bolts.

Here is a list of everything you need to remove.
5 Lug nuts to remove the wheel.
4 bolts to remove the brake calipers

2 nuts to remove the c-clamp caliper brace

3 bolts to remove the brake dust cover

1 bolt to remove the ABS sensor

Make it easy on yourself and remove the Bolts for the Brake Line/Rear Sway bar from the LCA

Remove the LCA bolt (covered in PB Blaster) and Shock Bolt (Shiny Silver color).

Remove the UCA bolt

Put all items in Zip lock bags, clearly labeling them

Repeat for the Opposite side.

Remove 4 bolts from Rear-end to Drive-Shaft. 12pt star 10mm I believe

Lower the jack holding the rear end.

Insert new rear end and repeat the entire process in reverse.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've seen a couple 8.8 rear ends from fox bodys with 4 lugs. Can you use the rear end and swap the 5 lug/disc brakes from the 7.5 to it?

21 - 40 of 4132 Posts