Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so yesterday I get in my 2003 GT and head to work. I turn the A/C on and no air blowing out. I do a quick check and the fan blower is not working.... This morning I check the fuse #24 for the heater fan and it's fine.

Does anybody have any input? Is there any habitual problems in the fan circuit or places I can check?

Also if I have to get into the heater fan how much of a pain in the A$$ is it and where do I go in at?

Thanks for any input.:eek:

SS33

·
Registered
253 Posts
Does the heat work at all? I had a problem where air (no matter what setting) ONLY came out of the defrost vents....the fix for that is a thin black vaccuum line coming out of the firewall in the engine bay right in back of the engine on the passenger side. Should be right by the valve cover (easy to get to/see).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the heat work at all? I had a problem where air (no matter what setting) ONLY came out of the defrost vents....the fix for that is a thin black vaccuum line coming out of the firewall in the engine bay right in back of the engine on the passenger side. Should be right by the valve cover (easy to get to/see).
I think it's the fan motor, I don't hear anything when I move the fan switch, but I will check the vacuum line and check the defrost vents the next time I go out the the car just to make sure.
Thanks
SS33:banghead

·
Registered
253 Posts
For the problem I mentioned, nothing will happen on any setting until you put it on defrost, it will work. If the air blows when you put it on defrost, there's the problem.

EDIT: I looked into it and totally forgot....the air will work on any setting, but it only comes out of the defrost and not the other vents. I had this problem a few years ago so it's been a while lol.

In your case, I think you may be right on the fan switch since the fuse isn't blown. Do ANY of the settings work; heat, defrost, high, low, etc?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I put it on heat or A/C you can feel the faint cool or warm air, but nothing is blowing on any settings.

How hard is it to pull the console out to check the wires going to the fan switch?

Anybody had similar problems or a good starting point? Was going to get a fuse check tool tomorrow at Harbor Freight to check to see if there is current going to the fan thru the fuse. Don't have a wiring diagram right now so I'm kinda in the dark here.

Thanks
SS33

·
Registered
321 Posts
Why don't you supply 12 volts to the blower motor to see if it comes on? If it doesn't, check your ground. If you have a good ground and 12volts supplied directly to the blower motor but still nothing, I'd say it's time for a blower motor

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
Look into your resistor pack (its right near your blower motor under the glove box), I have had them blow in many cars and the blower motor didn't work at all. It's a 10 dollar part and its super easy to install. If you wan to test it pull yours out disconnect it from the harness and wrap a wire around the thermal cutout to bypass it. Plug it back into the harness and turn on the power to the car and test it, if the fan starts working with the bypass/jumper wire on the thermal cutout than you know for sure its the resistor pack, don't run it for to long just enough to verify it is working. DO NOT RUN THE BLOWER MOTOR WITH THIS JUMPER AS A FIX IT SOLUTION ITS ONLY FOR TESTING PURPOSES. The wire can overheat and would be bad.

Most of the time the thermal cutout will crap itself and prevents electricity from flowing to the resistor pack. Its main intent is to prevent a electrical fire if those components over heat, hears a diagram to help understand what I'm babbling about.

The red line represents the wire you use to jump the thermal cutout.

Let me know if this is confusing

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does anyone have a pic or diagram of where I need to go or how to get at the resister? I'm flying without a manual right now and could use the help.

Thanks
SS33

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you might have to remove paneling under the glove box, its the only connector under there that has two/three screws/bolts holding it in and it should look like this

resister was easy to get to. Didn't have to remove anything just get a back adjustment later... The resister if fine. Replaced it and still no blower.
Going to throw 12v to the motor next to see what I get.:eek::banghead

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the HVac and fan?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fixed by the phantom

Well I took out the blower motor. Wow, I've never had a car that was so easy to get at things!!!! Replace the resistor, nothing happened. Tried to get the motor to turn on by adding 12v to it from another battery. Didn't work thru the harness. Pulled the blower fan out and put 12v to it and it spun across the floor. Put it back in....stared at it for a few. Plugged all the plugs back in and "Bang" I got it working. :eek:

Ok so I don't know why it's working now and wasn't before. But I have a working fan again. Maybe one of my boys kicked a connector loose on the passenger side, but I replaced resistor and fuse, both were still good. Now it works, problem solved by the Phantom repairman.

Anyway thanks for all the input. It was good to get under there and see how the blower motor and resistor are setup if I do need to do them in the future.

Thanks all
SS33:drink:wave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts